When the toy is no longer shiny

Discussion in 'NASCAR chat' started by ChexOrWrex, Nov 22, 2019.

1. ChexOrWrex

ChexOrWrex Ya gotta wanna

Equivalent of being undisturbed with your failing business because the business down the street is also failing.

Either way, they are both losing.

FLRacingFan and DaBiff1618 like this.
  2. BobbyFord

BobbyFord Resident Gearhead Contributor

Cable companies know what channels are being viewed in their boxes.
    The main reason I don’t watch playoffs is really because I don’t like the product.

3. Blaze

Blaze Midnight Rider

But that’s not how ratings work. That’s why you always see them end in 0s and not an exact number.

4. Charlie Spencer

Charlie Spencer Remember the Gator

And to many other sports to a lesser degree.

5. DewChaser988

DewChaser988 NASCAR fan since 1998

Byron and Chase easily could. Remember, Byron ran really well this year with Knaus and Chase won 3 races last year. Blaney and Jones could too

6. StandOnIt

StandOnIt Farm Truck

yep stick n ball is 9% down on viewing, where as Nascar was up a bit and this is during declining overall TV viewing.

Revman likes this.
  7. BobbyFord

As long as the numbers decline I’m happy. Maybe someday NASCAR will wake up.

Blaze likes this.
  8. Blaze

Blaze Midnight Rider

I mean fair enough.

BobbyFord likes this.
  9. Charlie Spencer

Charlie Spencer Remember the Gator

I was wondering when this was going to become 'Return Of Son Of Deathbed, Jr.'

KTMLew01 and StandOnIt like this.
  10. jws926

jws926 I need to think of something new for here

Ratings do end with exact numbers.

11. Marcingak

Marcingak Team Owner

Monster isn't really doing a good job of promoting the sport, in my opinion.

AuzGrams likes this.
  12. Blaze

Blaze Midnight Rider

Everything I always see is like 750,000 or 2,435,000. Maybe I look at the wrong place, or exactly that many people keep up with wrestling, as that’s the only ratings I truly keep up with.

13. kyle18fan

kyle18fan Proud member of Rowdy Nation Contributor

The playoffs are no Dale Earnhardt

14. BobbyFord

Every single gimmick has been a failure.

15. NASCAR Apologist

NASCAR Apologist Team Owner

"The toy" is shinier than ever. The playoffs overdelivered for NBC's ratings the second half of the season.

16. BobbyFord

No.

17. jws926

I understand what you are saying, and you are not wrong, that is the conversion number which is used more than the actual rating number because that is easier to understand.
    Using Friday nights WWE smack down ratings as an example

0.8/5 2.60

The first set is the actual rating, the second set is what the rating converts to in people, which would be 2.6 mil people, and so for that yeah, its going to end with a zero.

18. Blaze

Blaze Midnight Rider

But not everyone is counted right? Or have they completely rid of the Nielsen family?

19. jws926

Do you mean for the Smack Down ratings or just in general ?

20. NASCAR Apologist

NASCAR Apologist Team Owner

Agree to disagree.

21. Revman

Revman 2X CHAMPION

No, not really. It's like keeping things in proper perspective during the recession.

22. BobbyFord

R-F rating thread created by @ToyYoda showed the Homestead finale at a 4.37
    Not really what I’d call a successful season-ender.

ToyYoda likes this.
  23. ChexOrWrex

Except that the TV ratings were nearly double what they are now during the height of that great recession.

We are over a decade removed from the recession and ratings are declining and tracks are still ripping grand stands out because they can’t fill them.

Snappy D and BobbyFord like this.
  24. AuzGrams

AuzGrams Team Owner

I don't entirely agree with his premise. World of Outlaws and IndyCar are doing pretty well.

StandOnIt likes this.
  25. StandOnIt

StandOnIt Farm Truck

so is Nascar, but the ol "it ain't like the good ol days" deathbedders will grasp at any straw.

AuzGrams likes this.
  26. AuzGrams

AuzGrams Team Owner

I'd like to see the stands rightsized more or better attendance, but ratings being flat or barely up is a good sign IMO.

27. StandOnIt

StandOnIt Farm Truck

Phoenix and Homestead were sell outs, but the TV was down on both go figure.

AuzGrams likes this.
  28. AuzGrams

AuzGrams Team Owner

Yeah I've noticed the TV and attendance numbers aren't very correlated much.

29. 28car

28car Team Owner

Or Kyle bush to win 6 in a row......becomes “8 time”

30. Revman

Revman 2X CHAMPION

Okay, the recession is now. There are signs of recovery. We will never be what we were.

31. Snappy D

Snappy D 2017 Pick Em Champion 2018 Bold Predictor

I don’t hate this. I love the emphasis on the big races or “majors” like PGA Tour does for its Majors.

FLRacingFan and 2 Sweet like this.
  32. ChexOrWrex

Complete lack of critical thought.

There are 3+ million fans watching on TV. Phoenix and Homestead have a combined seating capacity less than several college football stadiums that sell out every Saturday.

33. Formerjackman

Formerjackman Team Owner

I'm not saying that it's an answer to all of our problems, but I DO think you guys are on to something. I think NASCAR made a HUGE mistake when they started to to take some of the uniqueness out of things and other than the Daytona 500, every race became pretty much like every other race. At least there has been an attempt to fix Darlington by giving it back it's traditional date and creating the throw back weekend to generate some positive buzz. On the other hand, I think they blew it by moving the 2nd Daytona race, and I think the further injured the Brickyard 400 by moving it to that slot. They had already done a pretty good job of eliminating ANYTHING that made the Brickyard unique. I think a LOT more could be done to make certain races seem more like golf majors, and would help create some positive buzz during the oh so long NASCAR season.

FLRacingFan and 2 Sweet like this.
  34. Revman

Revman 2X CHAMPION

Then you should be elated with NASCAR's numbers....Averaging 3.3 million viewers per race vs. IndyCar 1.29 million. Is WOO even on TV?

35. Revman

Revman 2X CHAMPION

The sport has downsized. Big deal. It isn't what it was. Big deal. As NASCAR manages its new norm, it will be fine. Big deal. The atmosphere in Phoenix was awesome. People were happy, and had a great time. 0 bitching about the "racing"......and then we come to this little cross section of the sport. SMDH.

Mike Crayne and Charlie Spencer like this.
  36. donthaveanickname

donthaveanickname Team Owner

You better sell out a 40k grandstand for the season finale. (still had a lot of empty spots, IIRC)

from 2005:
    "NBC’s coverage of the NASCAR Nextel Cup championship finale, the Ford 400 from Homestead-Miami Speedway, rated a 5.9/11, the second-highest rating in the history of the event, below only last year’s 6.2/13, and drew an estimated 19 million viewers. The rating peaked at a 7.2 between 7-7:30pm/et as Greg Biffle outdueled Mark Martin to take the checkered flag and Tony Stewart clinched the NASCAR Nextel Cup Championship."

37. Revman

Revman 2X CHAMPION

How can you create a buzz around majors when the diehards continually bitch about the racing, and hide under the "I will know good racing when I see it bull****?" Impossible. Phoenix was electric....but the spin here, and in cyberspace courtesy of Jeff Gluck's unscientific polling (and others) throws water on it. NASCAR needs to get a handle on the spin, and then the rest will be fine.

38. donthaveanickname

donthaveanickname Team Owner

Eventually you'll get a letter from NASCAR asking if you want to be cloned 5 millon times.

ChexOrWrex likes this.
  39. Revman

Revman 2X CHAMPION

I really hope that people get what they are looking for, but I doubt the critics really know what they are looking for. I have been going to races since Toyota entered, and EVERY SINGLE TIME I go to the track, I am satisfied. Completely. Love it. Sport is organic. Some races are special, and some are ho hum, but the bottom line is that there is a race, and it has a story. Sometimes a thriller, sometimes less than that. I will criticize the driver-centric promotion of the sport all day. Promote teams and manufacturers.....Because there are so few of us, guys with Chevy or Ford hats gravitate toward me at the track because of my obvious allegiance to TRD/Toyota, and we have a great time with manufacturer banter. How the hell can NASCAR promote this sport independent of the cars which set this sport apart from stick and ball? Stupid. I thought that the new track configurations with fan garage access (which absolutely has to become standard at ALL tracks) was to watch the crews work on those amazing cars--which is what I do. When I go to the garage, nobody is there....until the drivers show up, and then we have the stupid star struck mob mentality until the drivers go away, and then I am left alone. If this sport was promoted correctly IMO, the drivers would only serve as someone standing in the way of an engine bay. Over exaggeration......but my two cents.

40. Revman

Revman 2X CHAMPION

Not sure this board wants that. :D I love this sport, and it really breaks my heart that so many cannot find what they are looking for.