When will there be a full 40 car field again?

REBS31

Lane Train
Personally, I think I might be the May Talladega race before 40 cars enter, just wanted to hear yalls opinion. Also, what should NASCAR do to get full fields week in and week out?

Yeah 36 is all that should be in the race. Charters make no sense if a car can enter without one.

The charter system is one of the worst things NASCAR has come up with.

That said, 36 is a full field. I’m fine with it. Don’t need 4 extra rolling chicanes out there.

The charter system is one of the worst things NASCAR has come up with.

That said, 36 is a full field. I’m fine with it. Don’t need 4 extra rolling chicanes out there.

Wouldn't be if it was only those 36 teams.

Wouldn't be if it was only those 36 teams.

It’ll be that way very soon. I just don’t see the point of a guaranteed starting spot when only 36 cars show up for a 36 car field every week.

I've always said you start every car that shows up, but there will be 40 again this season at some point plate races Indy maybe Darlington

It’ll be that way very soon. I just don’t see the point of a guaranteed starting spot when only 36 cars show up for a 36 car field every week.

Well yeah but it would be more like the franchise model that it was intended to be. Wouldn't need it to guarantee a spot but to enter the Cup race.

Well yeah but it would be more like the franchise model that it was intended to be. Wouldn't need it to guarantee a spot but to enter the Cup race.

Which as I’ve already stated, Im fine with. Doesn’t mean I have to like the charter system as a concept. It’s bogus IMO.

A few years down the road we will consider a 30-car field a full field...

In one of the pre-race shows, I think it might have been Atlanta's pre-race show, Jeff Gordon and DW were talking about this subject and they thought that 32 was enough. They of course compared it to the other leagues in the U.S. NFL, MLB, NBA, etc, and basically said that those leagues have no more than 32 teams so NASCAR shouldn't have more than 32 teams on the track.
I don't quite see how that comparison works, especially if you start to add golf and tennis into the mix, but they are being paid to support the company line so it is what it is I guess.
When we have over 40 teams, i'm sure the line will change to "look how great NASCAR is doing with this full field!"

I believe the charter system was put on place for one reason and that was so Rob Kaufman could get paid but that is another story for another time. I think the fields will eventually get smaller. If someone wants to see what Nascar will look like in 10 years just look at Indy Car today. All my opinion.

In one of the pre-race shows, I think it might have been Atlanta's pre-race show, Jeff Gordon and DW were talking about this subject and they thought that 32 was enough. They of course compared it to the other leagues in the U.S. NFL, MLB, NBA, etc, and basically said that those leagues have no more than 32 teams so NASCAR shouldn't have more than 32 teams on the track.
I don't quite see how that comparison works, especially if you start to add golf and tennis into the mix, but they are being paid to support the company line so it is what it is I guess.
When we have over 40 teams, i'm sure the line will change to "look how great NASCAR is doing with this full field!"

I remember when 32'ish cars were norm at the short tracks. I think it made for better racing! I think the concept of a "full field" came about in the mid to late 90s. Before that i'm honestly not sure how field size was determined.

Anyone remember the days, not all that long ago, when anything less that a 43 car field was thought to be in violation of the television contracts? Ahh, the good ol' days. Where'd those people go?

yeah bring back Bobby and Joe racing for their weekly start and park race for next to last. Bring back Morgan, Derrike is making a comeback Btw. MCDowell is the latest last placer, but with the shortening of the field he is pretty good considering, led 14 laps at Vegas when he stayed out.

I mean it's not like any of them other cars not showing up would have a chance anyway. Hell not all 36 cars probably even have a chance if we're being honest here. Maybe at Talladega or Daytona they would have a chance and that's places you'll see other cars likely show up.

What I dislike the most about the charter system is it basically has done away with any new start up team trying to get in the field. Do you think Furniture Row Racing who eventually wins a Cup Championship would be able to crack into the Cup level now? I realize they can buy a charter but sometimes a race team needs to get its feet wet first to make sure they can commit to every race.

600 will see 39 cars, maybe a 39/40 for the RPs, but it looks like the days of bringing unmarked, solid color painted cars are done. Sure those cars do nothing but provide eye and ear candy, but I prefer having as many cars as possible showing up, there is just something depressing about going to a race that use to have cars staging in the parking lots and farm land behind the track, suddenly doesn’t have enough cars to run true heats.

Texas 2 will see a full 40 cars. Next to the D500, it has the second biggest purse on the schedule.

Any number of cars that take to the track and are capable of competing at full speed and lasting the duration of the race account for a full grid, jmo.

The economics are what they are at this point. It’s not worth it to run without a charter. Bar the crown jewel events I think 36 is the new normal.

Yeah 36 is all that should be in the race. Charters make no sense if a car can enter without one.

Besides the fact they get 30% of what a chartered car does & some of these teams like Rick Ware & StarCom were open teams before they got their charter, even the 21 team didn't have a charter for a year.

It sounds like a few teams will be showing up soon, and the 96 car is showing up to Phoenix, the 30 team sounds like is trying to get to the track soon, Jay Robinson probably will have the 2nd car back again soon, and StarCom has said they're running the 99 eventually.

It is funny how things change as I remember fans howling about qualifying and even if you were a major player that slipped in someone else's oil and crashed you should not make the race as one of the other 46 cars should take its place. Now you don't even have to qualify to make a race.

A few years down the road we will consider a 30-car field a full field...

Damn, with less than 36 drivers to choose from that'll mean that the NASCAR Pick 'Em game will bite the dust what with the rules the way they are.

OFFICIAL GAME RULES

1 - Each week, each player picks a driver for that week's race. . . . . . . .

4 - After a player picks a driver, that player cannot pick that same driver again for the remainder of the season.

hmm.gif

Back
Top Bottom