Where did Sim Racing begin for you guys?

SpeedPagan

The iRacing Guru
EcsUlf7.jpg

This was my first sim racing game. It was pretty damn awesome! I probably spent more time in the paint shop than I did on the track, but it was a solid piece of simulation for it's time...which was 1994 I think.

Simwise I think I played NASCAR Racing 2.

My first NASCAR sim was NASCAR 07, it was kinda a blind purchase but it's what got me liking NASCAR, so... good purchase, lol.

image.jpg
My first NASCAR game and the first Playstation game I ever "purchased".

I really wish I would have played PC. I didn't really know what I was missing out on(NR2003) until like 2010.

There was a Mario Andretti racing game on the PC way back that was probably my first pc racing game. Then probably Bill Elliott's NASCAR Challenge, that was a pretty fun game. Then the Papyrus games. I really got into the IndyCar game they made as well, that was an awesome game. They just made killer games, I can remember when they was close to releasing a new title like NASCAR Racing 3, or 4 I've never been more pumped up for a game release then I did the papyrus titles.

Forza 3 was the first racing game I played. That got me into auto racing somewhat but I was already a major motocross fan. I didn't find iRacing until 2013 and finally got a wheel and setup in summer of 2014. Been hooked and spending money on it ever since.

I would like to try out some of these old sims.

My first was NR2003. Still playing it to this day.

You should try iRacing.com, it's made by most of the same people who worked on NR2003. It has a great community and it's an awesome sim that is always being updated and worked on.

You should try iRacing.com, it's made by most of the same people who worked on NR2003. It has a great community and it's an awesome sim that is always being updated and worked on.

I'm going to try iRacing out. I've seen videos of it but I never thought about trying it.

Thanks.B):rainfro:

EcsUlf7.jpg

This was my first sim racing game. It was pretty damn awesome! I probably spent more time in the paint shop than I did on the track, but it was a solid piece of simulation for it's time...which was 1994 I think.

I started right where you did with NASCAR Racing. After playing at a friend's I saved my money and bought my first computer just so I could play this game. I can remember bragging about how realistic it was :huh:. Well in all honesty it was for its time, but others could only see "cartoons". Still play NR2003 today.

Holy old thread batman!
I started on Nascar Racing too and I remember that they had a free playable demo. You got Martinsville and could race a 20% race I think. Everything else was blocked. I played that demo a ton until I could afford a computer and the real game. It was awesome!

Holy old thread batman!
I started on Nascar Racing too and I remember that they had a free playable demo. You got Martinsville and could race a 20% race I think. Everything else was blocked. I played that demo a ton until I could afford a computer and the real game. It was awesome!
Doh, I just read "Feb 21"...I didn't even notice the 2015 that followed.

There was a Mario Andretti racing game on the PC way back that was probably my first pc racing game. Then probably Bill Elliott's NASCAR Challenge, that was a pretty fun game. Then the Papyrus games. I really got into the IndyCar game they made as well, that was an awesome game. They just made killer games, I can remember when they was close to releasing a new title like NASCAR Racing 3, or 4 I've never been more pumped up for a game release then I did the papyrus titles.
I started out on Bill Elliot's NASCAR Challenge. I remember, I couldn't do anything on the pc version except the road courses. The NES version was easier.

First racing video games I ever played Rad Racer, Daytona USA, and Cruis'n USA after sports game in the pizza place arcade.

First race sim. All on controller. Wow all of these paint schemes are engrained into my memory and the music.
!!e!UzZwBWM~$(KGrHqMOKnQEz3zsfEOOBNP3shUBFg~~_1.JPG

I didn't really start learning anything until the first Forza on Xbox, NASCAR 08 09 again on Xbox, NASCAR inside line NASCAR HEAT 1&2 on Xbox 360. All on controller.
Tinkered with a wheel for a little while, but I was faster online with controller, as I think most of the top guy's are on there.

Was on Forza 7 last year, again on controller, but am now seriously considering buying a wheel with my arthritis flaring up too much in my wrist, I call it "driver's wrist".

Have considered joining iRacing too, but I would have to buy a lot more than a wheel.

I taped off an oval with masking tape on the back of a throw rug around 1971 or 1972 and pushed Hot Wheels and Matchbox cars around the track.
1973 was a tough season. I had a bad report card from school so my mom confiscated all my Hot Wheels and Matchbox cars to give me more time to think about my grades.

Well, I thought about it some and I marked up some checker chips with numbers to represent race cars and the carpet races were back on. They didn't push as well the cars but l had already rubbed off some of the right fronts on the Hot wheels cars and l was already able to deal with that inconvenience.
My mom watched my races and the resilance in spite of the A-D-V-E-R-S-I-T-Y, the races must go on.

She finally relented and returned my cars.
I forgave her and I think it was a great growing and learning experience for her. She is really a good person and she never made that mistake again.

I taped off an oval with masking tape on the back of a throw rug around 1971 or 1972 and pushed Hot Wheels and Matchbox cars around the track.
1973 was a tough season. I had a bad report card from school so my mom confiscated all my Hot Wheels and Matchbox cars to give me more time to think about my grades.

Well, I thought about it some and I marked up some checker chips with numbers to represent race cars and the carpet races were back on. They didn't push as well the cars but l had already rubbed off some of the right fronts on the Hot wheels cars and l was already able to deal with that inconvenience.
My mom watched my races and the resilance in spite of the A-D-V-E-R-S-I-T-Y, the races must go on.

She finally relented and returned my cars.
I forgave her and I think it was a great growing and learning experience for her. She is really a good person and she never made that mistake again.

:lol2::lol2:

Who knows. NR2003 & iRacing (racing against guys like Ryan Truex, a few other drivers, etc) always stand out the most though.

Very similar to my experience. I had the Andretti PC game too, which was a serious attempt at a sim-ish product with the resources available at the time, and I played the hell out of it. Also enjoyed the Elliott game on Nintendo, and then the Papyrus games, including NASCAR Racing, IndyCar, and the incredible Grand Prix Legends . I also enjoyed the original NASCAR Heat for what it was, and being a dirt guy, spent tons of time with Dirt Track Racing, DTR: Sprints, and DTR 2.

Back
Top Bottom