Where will Mat land for 2018?

I'm gonna guess Matt ends up with Hendrick. Gut feeling.

Hopefully the #77.

If not, my personal order of preference would be the #10, then #88, then #5. However, SHR already has three veterans of Kenseth's vintage and could use some younger talent. The #88 is already going to Bowman. That leaves the #5. Kenseth and Johnson would balance the two younger guys for a three-year run before retiring. The snag in that scenario is that despite the jokes we've made, the #5 isn't currently open.

Are there any other semi-competitive rides on the radar? There's the slight possibility Penske brings Blaney over and the #21 opens up, but I see that as the least likely possibility. Too many variables in that one.

Danica's #10 which will become #71 and be sponsored in 12 races by dewalt and others TBD.

Im thinking the 10. Would be a great addition to SHR and he'd return to Ford. 77 makes no sense to me and I think Bubba returning to Toyota in that ride would be a good spot for him. Feel like it will be Byron in the 88 but would like to see it renumbered to the 25.

I was listening to Brad K. on Race Hub ... he thinks Matt is going to the #88 in a half season roll ... shared with Bowman or Byron. I don't think Matt would take that job. I see him in the #5 full time, and perhaps the #88 gets shared by Dale Jr. and Bowman for next year. A week or so ago there were rumors that Dale still wanted to race a few select races. Maybe Dale participates in 6 races, and Bowman get the vast majority of the rest. Maybe Byron gets his feet wet in the #88 as well. Matt wants to run full time and race for a championship .. not sure the #88 allows him to do that ... especially if Junior wants to race a few times next year.

Will throw my hat into the HMS side, I can see Matt landing there

The last thing SHR needs is to hire another aged driver. Even if he has a few good years left. I could see if that had a couple of Cole Custers and just wanted to buy time.

I'm thinking the 88 is a sensible spot.

I just don't see the point of Kenseth going to Hendrick when they have two young guys in Bowman and Byron. I think it depends on several things.....

1. Do they feel Byron is ready for Cup?
2. Who do the sponsors (Nationwide, etc) want?
3. How long does JJ plan to continue racing?
4. Does Kahne fit into the long term plans?
5. Would Dale Jr. still want to run select races?
6. Will there be a partnership with another Cup team (JRM, GMS?)

I don't see a scenario where Kenseth makes sense unless they feel Byron is still a couple years away, Bowman isn't a high caliber driver, or they have sponsors that will only step up if Kenseth is the driver.

I say Matt is retired unless he is willing to drive with a heavy pay cut.
KK has sponsors , Matt has none so I doubt he gets the 5 car. May as well let
KK ride out his contract and keep the seat for a young fella.
There is nothing at SHR that can afford Matt. The owner can't keep footing the bill.
SHR needs to clean house and upgrade their management and team support.

There is nothing at SHR that can afford Matt. The owner can't keep footing the bill.
Whats the issue with Matt going to the 10 with DeWalt & DG?

With Farmers and Great Clips out the door after this year there's almost nothing on the #5 for 2018 right now.

I was listening to Brad K. on Race Hub ... he thinks Matt is going to the #88 in a half season roll ... shared with Bowman or Byron. I don't think Matt would take that job. I see him in the #5 full time, and perhaps the #88 gets shared by Dale Jr. and Bowman for next year. A week or so ago there were rumors that Dale still wanted to race a few select races. Maybe Dale participates in 6 races, and Bowman get the vast majority of the rest. Maybe Byron gets his feet wet in the #88 as well. Matt wants to run full time and race for a championship .. not sure the #88 allows him to do that ... especially if Junior wants to race a few times next year.

Ship Kahne to the 88 so he can mentor Byron, put Matt in the 5.

Matt is an elite driver. He doesn't get second roles.

With Farmers and Great Clips out the door after this year there's almost nothing on the #5 for 2018 right now.
All of this may depend on sponsors. Kenseth should bring sponsors. This ultimately may have to do with Byron not being ready. I don't see Dale driving next year in a Cup race. Amy has him by the balls. Not happening.

Whats the issue with Matt going to the 10 with DeWalt & DG?

Dollar General is long gone.

I think DeWalt would follow him for a handful of races but as far as I know, that's the only sponsor he would bring.

For what it's worth, my money is on Kenseth going to the 10

All of this may depend on sponsors. Kenseth should bring sponsors. This ultimately may have to do with Byron not being ready. I don't see Dale driving next year in a Cup race. Amy has him by the balls. Not happening.
NBC Sports is reporting that Rick and Axalta want to move Byron up, but they're still gauging his comfort level regarding a promotion to Cup so soon.

Im thinking the 10. Would be a great addition to SHR and he'd return to Ford. 77 makes no sense to me and I think Bubba returning to Toyota in that ride would be a good spot for him. Feel like it will be Byron in the 88 but would like to see it renumbered to the 25.
25 is cursed

Back
Top Bottom