will NASCAR ever run a street circuit and if yes, where?

would you like a street circuit in NASCAR

• yes

Votes: 18 39.1%
  • no

Votes: 28 60.9%

• Total voters
I used to think that this would never happen, but I am starting to wonder if the Gen 7 car--and the changes that could come with it--make this a possibility.

I used to think that this would never happen, but I am starting to wonder if the Gen 7 car--and the changes that could come with it--make this a possibility.
Plenty of available tracks that want races without having to resort to running a temporary circuit.

And yet that race is no longer on the circuit.

I think that would be a good thing for NASCAR to have one weekend that goes to a different track every year even if it is an exhibition race. Make it a race in the middle of summer. A street circuit in NY one year, then Pikes Peak Raceway in CO, then something in Seattle, etc. It should be held in locations that don't already have a permanent race.
It wouldn't make sense to have a street race in Chicago since we have Chicagoland motor speedway there. Ditto, Charlotte, Daytona, Las Vegas, etc.
Put it in markets that we don't reach yet. Seattle, Denver, Canada, etc.

New Orleans
Either IMSA or Indy ran NOLA once three or four years ago; I'm too lazy today to Google which one.. It poured rain for several days before and the track was a soggy mess. Whichever series it was, they opted to make it a one-hit wonder.

Either IMSA or Indy ran NOLA once three or four years ago; I'm too lazy today to Google which one.. It poured rain for several days before and the track was a soggy mess. Whichever series it was, they opted to make it a one-hit wonder.

I watched the Indy Race a few years ago, and it had rained a lot. The first lap they ran right off the track. :D

But selfishly, I would attend a NOLA race if not just to see a Hauler Parade followed by some NASCAR community outreach with Cars and Stars, beignets, beads, etc.

NASCAR needs to go where people want to go -- maybe a one-off race like you mentioned. IMHO

I think it'd be cool if they could incorporate the original Daytona course's road section into a street circuit. I'm not a big proponent of the idea but I do thinkthey'll try a street circuit eventually.

Or possibly a made for TV event at an out of the way place that can't accommodate a large crowd.

That sounds like a historical track night, i.e. North Wilkesboro, Rockingham, etc.
Trouble with this is that the these particular tracks are in terrible shape and to spend that amount of money to get them into good shape might not be worth it.

NASCAR needs to go where people want to go -- maybe a one-off race like you mentioned. IMHO
I think Indy originally intended for NOLA to be a regular stop on the schedule, not a one-off, but the resulting conditions caused them to drop the idea.

I don't know of any national or regional touring series that intentionally schedules one-offs, especially at tracks that aren't already hosting other major events. There's often too much involved to get a track up to standards for the track to spend the money for only one race. The tracks want to know the income is going to be there regularly.

I think a freeway is more appropriate for the speeds they run than city streets (concrete canyons in race mode). But no city would shut down a freeway.

Best race of the season, never even been to Canada.

Would you support this and where would the do this? maybe Charlotte or somewhere in the south?

Why would you run it in Charlotte? It costs something like $10 million to setup the track, takes 8 weeks to set it all up, then they have to tear it down, meanwhile just down the road in Concord they have this nice facility that the street race would ultimately be competing against because CMS is never not going to run the 600, where all of those costs are already completed.

There've been seemingly a hundred street races in North America, and here are all of your long-term successes: St. Petersburg, Montreal (F1), Long Beach, Belle Isle, Toronto, Trois-Rivieres (the only remaining "minor league car racing" street race, Mexico City (F1). And the only reason Belle Isle exists is to serve the interests of Roger Penske.

Downtown Chicago, through Lake shore drive, around Soldier Field down by Grant Park and back around. Kidding aside........ I always wished Indy Car would do a race on the streets here. Too bad the city is corrupt and broke.
Today I discovered that Trois Rivieres has dirt mods as part of the program. A street race program. They drive them on the street circuit. So I searched to see if anyone had discussed this previously, and found this post. You deserve a medal for this given the date you posted it!

(also, the whole dirt mod thing):

Downtown Chicago, through Lake shore drive, around Soldier Field down by Grant Park and back around. Kidding aside........ I always wished Indy Car would do a race on the streets here. Too bad the city is corrupt and broke.
I dont know how to feel about this post.

Today I discovered that Trois Rivieres has dirt mods as part of the program. A street race program. They drive them on the street circuit. So I searched to see if anyone had discussed this previously, and found this post. You deserve a medal for this given the date you posted it!

Big Block Dirt Modifieds are something that's for sure. The ugliest race cars I've ever seen but they sure get wild through the center of the corner

This is just wrong! Everything about this makes me uncomfortable. It’s like F1 cars or GT cars running a dirt oval

This is just wrong! Everything about this makes me uncomfortable. It’s like F1 cars or GT cars running a dirt oval
Posting this elsewhere led to a slightly less incredible but still amazing fountain of footage from when dirt modifieds ran New Jersey Motorsports Park. BEHOLD:

Some tracks in the Northeast will also run them on paved tracks

I nominate you as the principal responsible party for the Chicago Street Race. Congratulations (???)!
Ha ha ha lmao. A dubious honor, I do miss Chicagoland but the street race was pretty cool. I would like to attend next year if its on the schedule, I think my then 3 year old son would enjoy it.

Posting this elsewhere led to a slightly less incredible but still amazing fountain of footage from when dirt modifieds ran New Jersey Motorsports Park. BEHOLD:

so a fictional dirt road course is in NASCAR Heat 4 that you can play with the Late Models in the game. I never much cared for that race and always thought it was kind of stupid and non realistic. Boy, who is the stupid one now?

Some tracks in the Northeast will also run them on paved tracks
Oh yeah, I'm sure at some of the rung what you brung races out there like the one at Galesburg (closest one to me) it happens all the time. I love freakshow racing. Give me all the events where inappropriate cars run a circuit. Every last one of them.

Back
Top Bottom