Will NASCAR use VHT at Indy?

Hey, that is a good question right there. I'm saying the stuffed shirts at Indy wouldn't allow it, they have made very little concessions for Nascar to run there, they keep dragging their feet on widening out the insanely narrow corners, in fact it isn't even brought up anymore. I don't see it happening I vote no stickum

Is this something that can be overcome by Goodyear supplying softer tires? Or is this yet another cost containment move? (softer tires mean more changes=higher tire cost for the weekend)

Problem is they have a diamond cut surface that works great for little light high downforce Indy cars with huge tires. goodyear found that out when they had that tire fiasco a few years back. It chews up the narrower Cup tire so hockey pucks it is.

No I don't think so. It really isn't NASCAR that is using the VHT JB1, it is the tracks. If you notice all the tracks that have used it so far are the SMI tracks. I don't think ISC tracks, to my knowledge, have use it yet. IMS being a stand alone track, I could see them going either way, but I doubt they do.

Problem is they have a diamond cut surface that works great for little light high downforce Indy cars with huge tires. goodyear found that out when they had that tire fiasco a few years back. It chews up the narrower Cup tire so hockey pucks it is.
OK then hockey pucks it is! Let the drift races begin!

On a serious note, the race should shake out who's got car control and doesn't. Watching the Rookies should be entertaining.

OK then hockey pucks it is! Let the drift races begin!

On a serious note, the race should shake out who's got car control and doesn't. Watching the Rookies should be entertaining.
I'm curious about the Xfinity cars, their latest aero experiment for Indy..if it works, cup cars will be running plates and have the rear air ducts next year. With their aero track record? This will be good.:p

If it was up to Larson, I think Indy and all of the rest would have it.:D

“I think it's awesome,” said Larson, who also benefitted from the substance at Kentucky Speedway. “I was surprised at how well it worked this weekend. I liked the element of it changing quickly and wearing out and then wearing out in different spots and stuff. It just adds an element to us that we have to adapt to. In the past here at Loudon, you kind of just run the same line all race long, and today everybody I got around was running somewhat of a different line, and I thought that was a really cool thing.

It was fun. I normally don't ‑‑ not necessarily enjoy coming here, but it hasn't been one of my favorite racetracks because it is so one lane, but today I thought there was a lot of different lanes you could run, and it was all because of the PJ1 (VHT) that they put on the track.”
https://www.motorsport.com/nascar-cup/news/nascar-new-hampshire-second-date-932239/

NASCAR has been using VHT for added grip on some of the tracks not known for a lot of passing. Will they use it at Indy? If there's one race on the NASCAR schedule that needs it, it's this one.

I don't think so as it wouldn't make much difference as the track isn't designed for the cars Nascar uses. Nascar will still figure out a way to add an additional stage via a competition caution though.

I don't think so as it wouldn't make much difference as the track isn't designed for the cars Nascar uses. Nascar will still figure out a way to add an additional stage via a competition caution though.
Well, it's not like the track is designed for ANYTHING that runs on it these days, other than maybe some charity 5Ks.

I always enjoy Indy and am interested to see what the restrictor plates in Xfinity will do. No so much of a fan of the PJ1 though, I believe it should be Goodyears job to bring a tire to the track that wilk have grip.

Manipulation of the racing surface should never be considered or allowed in Nascar IMO show up ......... race and go home ... they all race on the same track

See i disagree as growing up around dirt my whole life the tracks are constantly manipulated. Local big money events seem to be "old Bristol" based where it's a crash fest trying to hug the apron or cushion, yet for the big national touring series such as Arctic Cat or World of Outlaws they widen the hell out of it

Scrap Indy. I was told Nascar went there because that series was broke and they wanted Nascar to bring back fans. Nascar can't get it's own fans now so why promote a privately owned track?
Now is the time to cancel Indy and add a road course race.

You want more grip? This will work!!
IMAG0459_full.jpeg

Starting to think burton owns shares in this vht technology.

Question, if Nascar is attempting to take down force OFF the cars to improve the racing/passing, them why add glue to give all the traction back? Is this because Goodyear can't make good tires anymore within the budget?

Scrap Indy. I was told Nascar went there because that series was broke and they wanted Nascar to bring back fans. Nascar can't get it's own fans now so why promote a privately owned track?
Now is the time to cancel Indy and add a road course race.
All the tracks are privately owned.

See i disagree as growing up around dirt my whole life the tracks are constantly manipulated. Local big money events seem to be "old Bristol" based where it's a crash fest trying to hug the apron or cushion, yet for the big national touring series such as Arctic Cat or World of Outlaws they widen the hell out of it

I should have specified ASPHALT Nascar tracks

Hey, that is a good question right there. I'm saying the stuffed shirts at Indy wouldn't allow it, they have made very little concessions for Nascar to run there, they keep dragging their feet on widening out the insanely narrow corners, in fact it isn't even brought up anymore. I don't see it happening I vote no stickum
I agree. I don't think the George family will allow it.

Morning Charlie. The majority of tracks are now owned by 2 corporations who answer to shareholders to a degree.
Okay, but it's in NASCAR's interest to promote all the tracks on the schedule, private or corporation.

Whether they all belong on the schedule is a different matter. ;)

Manipulation of the racing surface should never be considered or allowed in Nascar...
Progressive banking is certainly manipulation to promote passing and side-by-side racing. Heck, so is *any* banking. And what about tires specifically designed for each track. What's up with that?

Fred Biletnikoff says that the tracks use of stickum is not manipulation but desperation.

Progressive banking is certainly manipulation to promote passing and side-by-side racing. Heck, so is *any* banking. And what about tires specifically designed for each track. What's up with that?

Many series use track specific tires ... I can live with that but spraying glue on the track in a feeble attempt to "improve the racing" irritates me for some reason :idunno:

Manipulation of the racing surface should never be considered or allowed in Nascar IMO show up ......... race and go home ... they all race on the same track

But NBCSN said that a soccer field has crews that cut the grass shorter or higher to accommodate play. I mean, @kyle18fan, soccer. Soccer! Soccer! SOCCER!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom