Would you rather the old way or the chase playoffs?

Would you rather nascar stick with the playoffs or go back to the old way?

• Chase

Votes: 14 30.4%
  • Old way

Votes: 32 69.6%

• Total voters
Yep the last few races are pretty bizarre. They don't have to be that way either. It's all cooked up by NBC in their part of the racing season. If it was a ratings boom it would be justifiable, but it doesn't move the needle.
Agreed. It's amusing to see your fellas, The Gerbils actually try to create drama for a Michael McDowell to advance out of the 1st round while we all know if you've been watching this long enough, they dont have a shot in hell of getting to Round of 8 or better.

It was already the largest spectator sport in the late-90s and early-2000s, but one thing people overlook about the explosive growth of that time is Fox Sports. They made NASCAR cool. Fox was known for "cool" and "edgy" programming and "cutting edge" sports coverage.

Fox turned NASCAR racing into Must See TV.

Nascar was never the largest spectator sport, never was bigger than the NFL.

I'm on school, so I like the old way. But the playoffs have grown on me. It's a lot better than the Chase format was.

Nascar was never the largest spectator sport, never was bigger than the NFL.

There was a time NASCAR was pulling in 120,000+ to their races every single week.

It wasn't the "biggest" sport or "most watched" sport, but it was drawing in larger crowds than any other sporting event in the United States except maybe the Indy 500.

Even today, NASCAR races are still huge spectator draws.

Nascar pulled 120,000 to a race each week, the NFL pulls 750,000+ every single week.

Splitting hairs. This means you'd also have to combine the ratings of EVERY MLB game played this week and compare them to the ratings for NASCAR on Sunday and say that NASCAR's the least watched sport in America.

How many people attended the Super Bowl in 2004? How many people attended the Daytona 500?

I was a bunch of people of mixed ages yesterday, maybe 10+ people, and asked them if they heard the news about Jimmie Johnson’s in-laws. Not a single one of them knew who Jimmie Johnson was. They all thought I was talking about the Cowboys ex-coach.

I got nothing against the playoff structure, but the gerbs at the first stage spend 5 minutes telling us if so in so finishes 10 he will make the cutoff if this other driver finishes 16 or worse and there is 2 thirds of the freaking race left. Then the gerbs $hit themselves if something happens. And I'm thinking I had to listen to this B.S. for 5 minutes? Wait until the end parts of the race to come up with their guesses.

When we had a full season format, we would get a million "points as they run now" and a focus on any guy with even a small shot of winning a championship. The networks are going to play up the horse race, no matter the format.

I was a bunch of people of mixed ages yesterday, maybe 10+ people, and asked them if they heard the news about Jimmie Johnson’s in-laws. Not a single one of them knew who Jimmie Johnson was. They all thought I was talking about the Cowboys ex-coach.

The only household names in nascar are Earnhardt and Patrick.

From a selfish perspective, I preferred the season long points standings to decide the Cup Champion. Somehow I felt like it made me want to not miss a race, because each finish(not just a win) had such large implications on my favorite drivers seasons end point position.

I doubt NASCAR or its sponsors would ever push to decide a champion in that way again though.

I also feel like there are many fans who wouldn’t be interested in that old school idea. I could only imagine what twitter would do if a driver is “locking up” the cup title with 1-2 races remaining on the schedule, lol

Old way.... The Playoffs could start in Feb and end in Nov.
Maybe do it elimination style. Lowest guy in points each week who hasn’t already been eliminated is eliminated unless they win that particular race, and the win gives them a bye that week and the 2nd lowest is eliminated.

Would certainly make the Daytona 500 interesting.
:XXROFL: :XXROFL: :XXROFL: :pbjtime: :pbjtime: ;) :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :XXROFL: :XXROFL: :XXROFL:

Since we're discussing it... NASCAR was a fad.... that's it. There is no correlation to the sports growth/decline and Sr's death, implementation of the Chase, the COT, domination of the cookie cutter tracks, or Johnson's dominance.
I agree.

Doesn't surprise me. If you got into NASCAR since 2004, you have gotten into it with some "playoff" format and it's gonna be what you're used to. That said, you can have both the approval rate for a playoff series dramatically increase while general interest in the sport dramatically decreases. ;)
I got into NASCAR in 2016 and I must say my interest in NASCAR has declined in the last couple of years. It used to be my #1 or 2 motorsport, now it's maybe #5 or 6.
I missed 4 of the last 6 Cup races due to a lack of interest and when I watch I often tune in halfway through stage 2 because I know there'll be another reset so I won't miss the race-deciding moment.
Same goes for the playoffs. These mid-season races are pretty much irrelevant because most of the drivers that could have a shot at the championship are already qualified for the playoffs.
Before the playoff system the championship was usually down to a couple drivers by September. The first playoff system - you were out after one bad race. The current system mimics a the playoff systems used by other sports and I find it more entertaining.
If a guy secures the championship with 5 races to go he probably earned it :idunno:
I have zero problems with that. A championship is supposed to crown the best driver over the course of a season, not someone who lucked into a few wins on tracks that suit him.
I could nit pick stuff to death but at the end of the day, yes, auto racing and more traditional stick & ball sports are apples and oranges. Some stick and ball sports have done better in adjusting to the new world of content distribution than others, but ultimately they're all very different than racing. There's no shortage of ways to illustrate that.
Even in stick & ball a full-season championship is the preferred option for me. Of course it sucks that Munich has won 11 championships in a row but no one is seriously making the case to introduce playoffs in soccer.
The way that last season played out shows why.

Even in stick & ball a full-season championship is the preferred option for me. Of course it sucks that Munich has won 11 championships in a row but no one is seriously making the case to introduce playoffs in soccer.
The way that last season played out shows why.
Yeah, having playoffs is not necessarily how every sport works - it's really just how American sports work because of the structure. The leagues are the teams here, whereas it's not that way in Europe and so you get the fun of promotion/relegation. Now THAT would be exciting to add to NASCAR. You finish bottom three as a charter, you're losing it and it goes to whomever finishes top 3 in Xfinity. And it would make the back of the pack a million times more exciting. Would even draw more interest to XFinity and force the back-of-the-pack teams like RWR to actually try. But it'll never happen. I could complain about why, but no one who matters will ever listen.

If a guy secures the championship with 5 races to go he probably earned it :idunno:
I have zero problems with that. A championship is supposed to crown the best driver over the course of a season, not someone who lucked into a few wins on tracks that suit him.
I agree, I think the team that does the best throughout the entire season should be regognized. I think consistency is as important as winning. My point is that I find the current playoff system entertaining and entertainment is what all sports are.

In the championship race there should be a $500000 bonus paid to any team not in the top 4 that wins. That would keep the rest of the teams running hard.

I like the playoffs, but I don't think it should come down to one final race. Maybe the most points in the last 3 chase races.
Somebody could dominate all year and loose the championship by a tire going down. Just doesn't seem right

What if they take the final four and put them all in their random draw mechanism like they do for qualifying order etc sometimes. First one drawn wins. No need to worry about little things like tires etc. ;) ;)

You finish bottom three as a charter, you're losing it and it goes to whomever finishes top 3 in Xfinity.
I'd love that but few Xfinity teams are capable of moving up to replace the demoted Cup teams. JRM is a top performing X team but is hesitant to commit the resources to move up.

I don’t really like the argument that since other sports have playoffs, NASCAR should as well. The second-biggest sport in the country, the NBA, has been fighting a losing battle over an unwieldy playoff making for an increasingly useless regular season. So much so that they are mandating a minimum number of games played for players to be eligible for individual awards next season, since so many have been “load managing” by sitting out so many games resting for the playoffs m. They are also turning some of the existing regular season games into a mid-season cup/tournament of sorts.

March Madness is probably the single greatest sporting tournament in the country, but college basketball is also largely out of sight and out of mind of the general public from November-February.

I could go on, there is some sort of compromise with every sport and format.

I'd love that but few Xfinity teams are capable of moving up to replace the demoted Cup teams. JRM is a top performing X team but is hesitant to commit the resources to move up.
That's also because they don't have a charter which guarantees them a position in the field. Give them a guaranteed 36 races in Cup as a prize for finishing top 3 in XFinity and I bet they change their mind given the financial value of a charter these days.

That's also because they don't have a charter which guarantees them a position in the field. Give them a guaranteed 36 races in Cup as a prize for finishing top 3 in XFinity and I bet they change their mind given the financial value of a charter these days.

So they would have two and a half months to come up with cup cars to run the next season? I don't see that as logistically feasible. They also need to find sponsorship in that timeline as cup cars are a lot more expensive than Xfinity cars to sponsor. I like the idea but don't see it as being realistic.

So they would have two and a half months to come up with cup cars to run the next season? I don't see that as logistically feasible. They also need to find sponsorship in that timeline as cup cars are a lot more expensive than Xfinity cars to sponsor. I like the idea but don't see it as being realistic.
It's not realistic for a lot of reasons but the incentives, as The Nature Boy put it, drive the behavior. If you could sell sponsors on being a real contender to possibly move up to Cup and buy equipment, it changes how that deal is structured at the XFinity level too. You could also base it on "regular season performance" or whatever that would mean in NASCAR terms. But again, it's all a flight of fancy. It's a lot easier and leads to less griping if you do what NASCAR had to in order to try and combat teams just putting around after locking in by creating stages and a points system that is essentially impossible to track in real time.

Not a fan of the Chase in the slightest. Can't really speak for anyone other than myself as a once long time NASCAR fan. I walked away from the sport after years of disappointment that began with the implementation of the playoff system and ended with the elimination of my favorite seats at Martinsville.

Maybe my memory fails me at this point but I don't remember there being a decline in popularity leading up to the Chase being the means of crowning the sports champion. I remember being on waiting lists for Bristol and Richmond season tickets into the 90's. I remember seats being installed at many tracks to accommodate the influx of fans.

I don't think the decline of the sport all centers around the Chase but it sure seemed to be a tipping point. There were so so many changes dealing with both on and off track aspects. I think many of us were alienated one change at a time. I really hope the sport can regain its popularity again someday. It deserves better.

The concepts of the RTA’s Charter System seems lost on some.
It's not lost on me; I fully grasp the intention of giving teams guaranteed spots in the field as an asset they can later sell rather than purely being able to divest of used chassis and a shop. The difference is that I don't care for it. Apparently neither does NASCAR these days, so maybe I'm really Jim France using a nom de plume.

Give the Cup to the driver who wins the playoffs and create another honor for the team that wins the full season (something like the Constructor's championship in F1).

It's not lost on me; I fully grasp the intention of giving teams guaranteed spots in the field as an asset they can later sell rather than purely being able to divest of used chassis and a shop. The difference is that I don't care for it. Apparently neither does NASCAR these days, so maybe I'm really Jim France using a nom de plume.
If guaranteed spots were granted to 1 or more of the most successful Xfinity teams for a full season, would they be paid a full share of prize and other monies equal to what the charter teams receive? If not, the incentive is worthless. If so, who sacrifices some of their share to pay it?

If an Xfinity team(s) “won” such a prize, who pays for their new Cup cars and spares inventory? If they wanted to continue their Xfinity program, who buys the new transporter? If their shop is already at capacity, where do they house their one year only Cup operation and how is that funded?

There are 36 charters. When the end of 2024 negotiations are concluded, that number will remain the same and the Charter System will be made permanent. You can bookmark that.

Chase and this is coming from an "old school racer" as they come. So much more fun.

I like the playoffs, but I don't think it should come down to one final race. Maybe the most points in the last 3 chase races.
Somebody could dominate all year and loose the championship by a tire going down. Just doesn't seem right.

That's the one change NASCAR could make that would make me fine with this format.

And, for the love of God, move the finale out of Phoenix.

Not a fan of the Chase in the slightest. Can't really speak for anyone other than myself as a once long time NASCAR fan. I walked away from the sport after years of disappointment that began with the implementation of the playoff system and ended with the elimination of my favorite seats at Martinsville.

Maybe my memory fails me at this point but I don't remember there being a decline in popularity leading up to the Chase being the means of crowning the sports champion. I remember being on waiting lists for Bristol and Richmond season tickets into the 90's. I remember seats being installed at many tracks to accommodate the influx of fans.

I don't think the decline of the sport all centers around the Chase but it sure seemed to be a tipping point. There were so so many changes dealing with both on and off track aspects. I think many of us were alienated one change at a time. I really hope the sport can regain its popularity again someday. It deserves better.
I think NASCAR had to do something because of the institution of the BCS in college football. That move right there helped college football absolutely explode, so NASCAR had to counter because now the Fall was completely gone. It's the hard thing that NASCAR, MLB, NHL & NBA now have to go through is that college football & the NFL are by far the two biggest sports in America. Good luck getting viewers on the weekend from September thru January

That's the one change NASCAR could make that would make me fine with this format.

And, for the love of God, move the finale out of Phoenix.

As I said many times, the finale should rotate around all the tracks that have warm weather in November.

Back
Top Bottom