Would you rather the old way or the chase playoffs?

Would you rather nascar stick with the playoffs or go back to the old way?

• Chase

Votes: 14 30.4%
  • Old way

Votes: 32 69.6%

• Total voters
What if they take the final four and put them all in their random draw mechanism like they do for qualifying order etc sometimes. First one drawn wins. No need to worry about little things like tires etc. ;) ;)
As long as we're doing wacky ideas :

Put the Championship 4 in the very back to start the final race like it was an 80s-style Handicap Show at a dirt track.

Here's my question, people say they like The Chase or the Stage form of racing because it pushes teams to perform throughout the entire season, race, whatever. However, was there any actual proof that they weren't giving it their all before the implementation of these different championship and race formats? It's a 400 to 500 miles race, of course it's not going to be exciting every single lap from start to finish. However, I never really heard a driver or a crew chief admit that yea, they just ride around for 200 miles and then go for it. As far as I'm aware, they're out there putting it all on the line lap in and lap out, race in and race out. Every season they were giving it their best.

Here's my question, people say they like The Chase or the Stage form of racing because it pushes teams to perform throughout the entire season, race, whatever. However, was there any actual proof that they weren't giving it their all before the implementation of these different championship and race formats? It's a 400 to 500 miles race, of course it's not going to be exciting every single lap from start to finish. However, I never really heard a driver or a crew chief admit that yea, they just ride around for 200 miles and then go for it. As far as I'm aware, they're out there putting it all on the line lap in and lap out, race in and race out. Every season they were giving it their best.

I've heard lots of times that they were just riding around, especially at plate tracks where it still happens but you don't really hear of it at non plate tracks since stages were implemented.

As long as we're doing wacky ideas :

Put the Championship 4 in the very back to start the final race like it was an 80s-style Handicap Show at a dirt track.

They way the rest of the field drives in the final race of the year those fighting for the championship would be the top 4 within 30 laps.

It's sad that this isn't even a joke.

Do you remember hearing "we're saving our stuff"?. you don't hear that anymore.

I mean yea, that makes sense though. It's a 400-500 mile race. Before you can finish first, first you must finish.

Not any more. Today you drive it like you stole it. Two cautions(stages) and they award points so you drive your ass off all day long.

Other sanctioning bodies in auto racing have already perfected the sprint (not the car) style race though, like The World of Outlaws or any racing series that uses the heat races & main races style events.

NASCAR used to be closer to a race like the Bathurst 1000 where the goal is to see who's the fastest to complete a set distance. I watch both WoO events and NASCAR events but for completely different reasons. WoO is more traditional short track Friday or Saturday night affair and NASCAR is more about endurance.

The chase format that existed when I first got into NASCAR... I didn't like it.

It was dumb to have an arbitrary reset at 10 races to go. But, it wasn't awful enough to keep me from being a fan, as I enjoyed racing.

Then NASCAR announced the playoffs... it made me outright angry and livid.

It made the championship a complete joke. Now, the luckiest (or least unlucky) driver in the last 10 races wins the championship, not the best driver / team.

It reduced my interest in NASCAR for a while, and I still get angry when playoffs are hyped up in the later part of the season. I still boycott the season finale.

I just try to enjoy each race as a singular race that isn't part of any bigger picture.

Sucks that this thread was moved to polls where it will not be seen and will die.

Personally I wouldn't mind seeing non-playoff format, just like before 2004 even if it meant champion would be crowned too early in many seasons. However I'm 99% sure there's no going back to this and playoffs are here to stay, whether we like it or not.

However! I would actually love to see an alteration to the playoffs that would kind of appeal to playoffs fans and all-year-long-points fans.

This is how I see it:
Let's reduce number of playoff drivers to 12 or 14. At the same time, let's increase number of playoffs races to 12 so that the regular season ends after 24th race.
After the regular season is over let's give bonus points for those qualified for playoffs:
5 points for every win
2 points for every Top5
1 point for every Top10 (6th-10th)
And big points for regular season standings (something like 40-30-25-20-18-16-14-12-10-8-6-4-2-1)

This way regular season MATTERS A LOT

Then we divide 12-round playoffs into Semi-Finals (first six races) and Finals (last six races). They are racing through the first six races and then we go down to six best drivers for the last six rounds - the remaining six or eight are eliminated. But! Let's give some bonus points for start of the Finals as well. For example:
3 points for every win during Semi-Finals
1 point for every other Top10 during Semi-Finals
Some bonus for Semi-Finals standings (15-10-8-6-4-2)

And let them battle it out for the last six races.

I truly believe such format would be the sweet spot between pre-2004 era and playoffs.

1. Consistency would matter a lot - not only during the playoffs but also regular season
2. There would still be some elimination during the playoffs
3. In 9 situations out of 10 we'd go to the Championship Race with at least two contenders and possibly more as differences before the Finals wouldn't be huge and it's hard to pull away on points with just six races

And
4. It would be hard to question if someone is a "legitimate champion" because such format would benefit those who perform LITERALLY all season long - if someone is super hot during the regular season but during playoffs is just riding around 8th-12th it would be probably difficult to win a championship. But at the same time if someone wins one week and follows it up with 33rd place and keeps this pattern then he would also have difficulty in winning the championship because he wouldn't be consistent enough

Its...... been 20 seasons. A Full Season Championship isnt walking through that door, I choose to place my angst in something else and more recent. Like door number placement.

Part of that is because the stuff is sturdier. You don't see races with multiple hardware failures any more. Engines, transmissions, brakes; everything holds up better (although at some tracks I wish the tires didn't).

Back
Top Bottom