WOW, Eddie Gossage just went there!

Agreed, except that the rule was absolutely non-sensical in the first place, and then there's the fact that the spacer was there in place for all to see and passed inspection pre race, and it took Richard Childress to point it out to NASCAR officials. This would have been a good time for NASCAR to to swallow the whistle and either change the rule or just say, don't bring it back.
2" spacer,he ran a 2 1/2 inch spacer. A half inch, not a 16th but a half. Justify it.

While we’re giving people championships they were screwed out of.

Lee Petty is the 1950 Grand National Champion.

Of course....has a NASCAR champion been as forgotten as Bill Rexford? He only has 1 win in 36 career starts so I think everyone has kind of accepted that his championship was a total fluke. He's not in the Hall of Fame, which is unusual for a Cup Champion.

He's still the youngest Cup Champion ever so he's in the record book. He was also the only Northeasterner to win a Cup Championship until Truex and Logano. He's still the only New Yorker to win a Cup championship.

Irrelevant. Rules is rules.
Granted, but just another case of NASCAR having their head up their ass. Especially at that point in time, NASCAR had a pretty open book about what penalties could be levied. Knowing that the infraction had no performance gain, they COULD have simply issued a monetary fine or a very small point penalty. Instead, NASCAR jumped on with both feet. This was basically a F. U. Penalty, like HMS got this year after they beat the wrap on the louvres. Jack pissed off NASCAR at Daytona, and this was their way of showing Jack who's the boss. Nobody dislikes Jack Roush any more than I do, but I call them as I see them.

Back
Top Bottom