XX days of off-season on the wall...

1986-Darrell-Waltrip-_11-Budweiser-Chevy.jpg

I remember Donnie Allison driving a #21 J.W Hunt sponsored car way back but I can't figure out who this is, could that be Jack Hewitt without a moustache?
J.W. Hunt was a Plant City Florida strawberry farmer who Loved racing and sponsored ALOT of race cars mostly dirt cars.

Jack Ingram Late Model Sportsman Car
Thanks! I should have put that together #11 Jack Ingram, that must of been way back car even has Firestones on it!
Ingram I always associate with the lil late 78-80's Chevelle/Malibu's/Ventura's.

I liked the wing and I still disagree it caused flips.

A wing designed to provide down force when going foward will provide lift when going backwards. You can't argue with physics. The wing also seemed to prevent the roof flaps from opening because it didn't allow enough air to pass over them. The spoiler will also make the back lighter when going backwards, but not to the same degree.

I liked the wing and I still disagree it caused flips.

The spoiler causes lift when a car is going backwards at 180mph - just like the wing did.

Still, I never really thought that the wing suited NA$$CAR racecars. I have no problem with wings on V8 Supercars, Rally Cars, German Touring Cars, etc. But on a NA$$CAR CUP Car? IJDLR...

The spoiler causes lift when a car is going backwards at 180mph - just like the wing did.

They work on completely different rules of physics. The wing slices through the air, foward or backward. The spoiler acts like a wall, and slows the car in either direction. When going backwards, the wing creates a vacuum near it's top side, and has a big flat surface for leverage to lift the back of the car into the vacuum. If you look at these pictures, it's easy to imagine how air will act when the cars is backwards.

Fast and smooth flow to create lift.
CoT_wing.jpg

Big wall to slow the car.

nascar-spoiler.jpg

They work on completely different rules of physics. The wing slices through the air, foward or backward. The spoiler acts like a wall, and slows the car in either direction. When going backwards, the wing creates a vacuum near it's top side, and has a big flat surface for leverage to lift the back of the car into the vacuum. If you look at these pictures, it's easy to imagine how air will act when the cars is backwards.

Fast and smooth flow to create lift.
View attachment 3621

Big wall to slow the car.

View attachment 3622

In my total lack of physics knowledge it seems more likely that the air would hit the part of the spoiler that leans to the back and forcing it up into the air, while the air should just move under the wing.

In my total lack of physics knowledge it seems more likely that the air would hit the part of the spoiler that leans to the back and forcing it up into the air,

A little, but I was sure you would see how it would also slow the car down dramatically.

...while the air should just move under the wing.

Yep, just like an airplane....which flies when it goes fast enough. If you look for a picture of the top surface of the wing on the CoT, it has the same type of pitch as an airplane wing when the car is going backwards. When the cars goes backwards, the lead edge of the wing is higher than the trailing edge, and that creates a vacuum over the wing. The Cot wing is essentually a backwards wing that air slams into after coming over the roof. That creates downforce. When it's reversed, it acts much like an airplane wing and provides lift.
Cars will still lift their wheel with the spoiler, but the car will slow and is much more likely to settle back down before it flies. Any shape can be made to fly if it's light enough and the wind is strong enough. Just ask Dorithy. ;)

Nice illustration, FB!

The old spoiler was more of an air scoop (when a car was going backwards) than the current design, right?
But remember, Bobby Allison's car was sent flying at Talladega - and it didn't have a spoiler or a wing.

Nice illustration, FB!

The old spoiler was more of an air scoop (when a car was going backwards) than the current design, right?
But remember, Bobby Allison's car was sent flying at Talladega - and it didn't have a spoiler or a wing.

Thanks. Bobby sure did fly, which is why NASCAR lowered speeds. At some point, it becomes impossible to keep the car on the ground.

You disagree just to hear yourself disagree. Go take one of those pills you stopped taking 2 years ago. And watch when Brad got damn near killed at Atlanta.
Great encouragement tell someone to pop pain pills, being an ass to just be an ass? Unlike so many people I don't follow a sheep mentality I have my own thoughts you don't like it tough.

Back
Top Bottom