Yahoo has discontinued fantasy racing

That's a damn shame. I've been playing their NASCAR fantasy game for 17 years and have been hosting games for 14 of those years. I've introduced a bunch of fans to the sport through that game. Many of which stayed because of it. I'm guessing that's soon to change. Bad move Yahoo. :(

Here's my Yahoo Fantasy history.....

Untitled.jpg

Okay, I'll make a pitch for my league again. We've been at it for 15 years, using various applications, but always with the same format.
  • Drivers are sorted into five groups, based on current points standing.
  • Pick one driver from each group every week. Weekly deadline is the start of the TV broadcast.
  • You get the points earned by each driver on the track as awarded by NASCAR.
  • NASCAR points penalties, playoff points, and resets do not apply.
  • You can only use a driver nine times each season, regardless of how many times he changes groups.
  • Cost is $5 for the entire season. You can play the first six races for free to see if you like it.
Peer mail me if you're interested.

That's too bad .. just more incentive for me to quit following NASCAR all together.

And there goes the last use of my yahoo account

we could go to fox.....
I think theres a pole in the future

Okay, I'll make a pitch for my league again. We've been at it for 15 years, using various applications, but always with the same format.
  • Pick one driver from each group every week. Weekly deadline is the start of the TV broadcast.
  • You can only use a driver nine times each season, regardless of how many times he changes groups.
  • Cost is $5 for the entire season. You can play the first six races for free to see if you like it.

Did you use this on NASCAR the game forums

some needs to post all the free fantasy sites

Did you use this on NASCAR the game forums
No. Currently we're on FanStar. I haven't looked at NASCAR in a couple of years. The last time I did, I didn't like / understand their scoring system. We prefer a system based strictly on the points a driver earns on the track. No Q, no positions gained, no quality passes, etc. Maybe I need to take another look?

We originally started on Yahoo around 2001 or so. After a couple of years we decided we didn't like the format. We ran for several years hosting our own website and using a software package called 'Green Flag Racing'. We'd still be using them except they went under around 2012 or so. We used a couple of other sites before going to FanStar last year. We're willing to pay $5 each to run the game the way we want.

We've had the rug yanked out from under us a couple of times, usually with no or minimal notice. At least Yahoo was decent enough to provide almost two months notice.

I'm guessing the service no longer attracted enough ad-viewing eyeballs to warrant continuing, esp. for free.
Bingo, IMDB( Internet Movie Database) closed down the forum section because it was not making any money for the parent company Amazon, so you bet, that it was not making money for Verizon .

Kinda getting burned out on fantasy games anyway. I've been in a very competitive NFL league for 16 years and after being "bubble-boy" for yet another season and missing the playoffs this year, I'm simply done with it. It's bad enough trying to not make mistakes week in and out without having to worry about who on your roster is going to enter mandatory concussion protocol, get arrested for beating his kids, beating their mother, PEDs, suspensions, on-again-off-again suspensions, bye weeks, etc. Can't do it anymore. So I had that, two free NASCAR leagues based out of this site, (one of which folded up and disappeared around Halloween), then my neighbor suckered me into doing a weekly college football pick-em one this past season so that got to be too much. Just need to make a clean break from the whole thing. It adds up to a lot of wasted time which could be better spent finding pictures of interstate highway signs leading to Cup Series cities for the "How many days to Daytona" string. :laugh:

I am interested,.
From what I can recall your league is more like the RFYFL than any other one.

Is there a limit on the number of teams? The 2017 RFYFL started with 52 teams, and kept them most of the year.
How quickly are the race points posted. Maybe silly but I like seeing the weekly results, run downs and weekly winners etc, on a thread
It serves like a historical record imo.

I am interested,.
From what I can recall your league is more like the RFYFL than any other one.

Is there a limit on the number of teams? The 2017 RFYFL started with 52 teams, and kept them most of the year.
How quickly are the race points posted. Maybe silly but I like seeing the weekly results, run downs and weekly winners etc, on a thread
It serves like a historical record imo.
No limit on the number of teams, although we limit players to only one team each. There are no playoffs or cuts; everyone plays all 36 points races. Over the years, we've had as few as 14 teams and as many as 30. My experience with different applications over the years is that the number of teams is only a pain for the commissioner / administrator during the sign-up / start-up period. After that, most software / web sites do the work.

Unofficial results are viewable live during the race. There is some delay after the stage cautions before the stage points are included, but they're usually added in within six or seven laps. Official results are usually up by Tuesday evening.

Driver selection for the next race opens Thursday mornings; that gives me time to update the groups based on the latest driver standings. Weekly results can be viewed throughout the season. The web site keeps track of how many times you used a driver. The only downside we've found to this application is that your team is automatically cleared out weekly; if you don't submit a new one, you have no drivers on your team.

https://racing.fantasysports.yahoo.com

Okay... This sucks bad. Welp, on to the next service who offers it. We have been using it forever in a day and it was fun to play with the forum.
Good eye Kiante.
Just another example of one of the universes many constants - change.
I just would rather it be the things that are broke, but oh well, out of our control.
Hopefully the vets of these type leagues can find us something similar. I really like the multiple driver picks per week feature.

Last edited:
That's a damn shame. I've been playing their NASCAR fantasy game for 17 years and have been hosting games for 14 of those years. I've introduced a bunch of fans to the sport through that game. Many of which stayed because of it. I'm guessing that's soon to change. Bad move Yahoo. :(

Here's my Yahoo Fantasy history.....

View attachment 31167

You've done well, pilgrim.

jeremiah-johnson-1.jpg

No limit on the number of teams, although we limit players to only one team each. There are no playoffs or cuts; everyone plays all 36 points races. Over the years, we've had as few as 14 teams and as many as 30. My experience with different applications over the years is that the number of teams is only a pain for the commissioner / administrator during the sign-up / start-up period. After that, most software / web sites do the work.

Unofficial results are viewable live during the race. There is some delay after the stage cautions before the stage points are included, but they're usually added in within six or seven laps. Official results are usually up by Tuesday evening.

Driver selection for the next race opens Thursday mornings; that gives me time to update the groups based on the latest driver standings. Weekly results can be viewed throughout the season. The web site keeps track of how many times you used a driver. The only downside we've found to this application is that your team is automatically cleared out weekly; if you don't submit a new one, you have no drivers on your team.
Charlie, do you have paypal or does the site do you need a credit card?

Charlie, do you have paypal or does the site do you need a credit card?
Sorry, checks only. For players that have to mail me the payment, I knock 50 cents off the $5.00 dues to compensate for the postage.

I think you're the first person to ask about PayPal. I haven't investigated it in detail, but I assume there's a service charge. My impression is that it's not worth the charges for a few dozen $5.00 transactions once a year. I'll hit their web site and see if they have a FAQ that will enlighten me.

Last edited:
Sorry, checks only. For players that have to mail me the payment, I knock 50 cents off the $5.00 dues to compensate for the postage.
I a
I think you're the first person to ask about PayPal. I haven't investigated it in detail, but I assume there's a service charge. My impression is that it's not worth the charges for a few dozen $5.00 transactions once a year. I'll hit their web site and see if they have a FAQ that will enlighten me.
Western union? My bank allows me to send such things....

I a
I use paypal a great deal. No fees and it's a safe way to transfer money.

Really bummed about them dropping the fantasy racing. It was a lot of fun and great to compete against others on R-F. It was fun no matter where my team, Whizzers Weiners, finished.

Back
Top Bottom