You Got To Be Chitting Me

Same thing happened there last year. You'd think people would get the message and pay the fee wouldn't you?

Residents in the city of South Fulton receive the service automatically, but it is not extended to those living in the greater county-wide area.

So South Fulton has to respond to the fires but only a portion of their response area has to pay the fee?

It's a bull**** fee.

now you're a lawyer
\

Local and state politics is what I cover for a living. The city imposing a tax to residents outside the city limits is, well, bizarre. Not many people pay attention to local politics, I'd be interested in what happened if someone legally challenged this.

I mean, emergency response is included in your taxes already -- makes no sense to pay $75 more if you live in a certain area to cover what you already pay for in taxes anyways.

This was on one of the cable news shows when the first house burnt a year + ago. Outside of the city limits you're not paying city taxes. Ergo,lawyer speak, not entitled to city services. See? Easy peasy.

I grew up in a small fishing town, no town rescue squad or ambulance. Vol FF. There was a private company, $25 a year otherwise you made your own way to the hospital. 49 square miles patroled by 2 police cars, '53 Fords IIRC, and neither had a radio. Cops would knock on your door to use the phone, if you hadf a phone. :) NO CHIT!

I have the feeling this town today is very similar to what mine was 55-60 years ago.

Ya know, it really wasn't all that bad...

This was on one of the cable news shows when the first house burnt a year + ago. Outside of the city limits you're not paying city taxes. Ergo,lawyer speak, not entitled to city services. See? Easy peasy.

I grew up in a small fishing town, no town rescue squad or ambulance. Vol FF. There was a private company, $25 a year otherwise you made your own way to the hospital. 49 square miles patroled by 2 police cars, '53 Fords IIRC, and neither had a radio. Cops would knock on your door to use the phone, if you hadf a phone. :) NO CHIT!

I have the feeling this town today is very similar to what mine was 55-60 years ago.

So the county does not offer the services? That makes **** sense.

Personally I have never heard of this chit
In my county nobody pays extra of fire or ems services and i think the entire state is that way

\

Local and state politics is what I cover for a living. The city imposing a tax to residents outside the city limits is, well, bizarre. Not many people pay attention to local politics, I'd be interested in what happened if someone legally challenged this.

I mean, emergency response is included in your taxes already -- makes no sense to pay $75 more if you live in a certain area to cover what you already pay for in taxes anyways.

ummmm IT"S NOT A TAX, it's a FEE:rolleyes:

Personally I have never heard of this chit
In my county nobody pays extra of fire or ems services and i think the entire state is that way

In Indian Head and La Plata, those residents pay taxes to their individual towns as well as County taxes. But their city tax does not pay for emergency services -- the county taxes pay for that.

This makes **** sense.

It's called a fee...Don't call it a tax when it isn't..

A tax is a financial charge levied upon taxpayers by the governments for services provided by a government.

The $75 "fee" by the city government to provide the service of emergency response is, by definition, a tax.

Ok, this is my last post here for you Andy... The people don't live in the city and they don't get city services...Period... they live out in the county somewhere....they don't pay city tax for services...period...if you want services you pay a fee not a TAX....

South Fulton Mayor David Crocker defended the fire department, saying that if firefighters responded to non-subscribers, no one would have an incentive to pay the fee. Residents in the city of South Fulton receive the service automatically, but it is not extended to those living in the greater county-wide area.

Ok, this is my last post here for you Andy... The people don't live in the city and they don't get city services...Period... they live out in the county somewhere....they don't pay city tax for services...period...if you want services you pay a fee not a TAX....

And they pay county taxes. The fact that a certain segment of the population pays county taxes and are not entitled to the services they pay for in that tax is incredibly asinine. Not to mention the fact that the state taxes also pay for those services.

And since it's in relation to a government service (that county and state taxes already pay for), it is a tax by definition.

And they pay county taxes. The fact that a certain segment of the population pays county taxes and are not entitled to the services they pay for in that tax is incredibly asinine. Not to mention the fact that the state taxes also pay for those services.

And since it's in relation to a government service (that county and state taxes already pay for), it is a tax by definition.

It's called PROPERTY TAX WHERE I LIVE

Hey, it's the Libertarian/GOP/Tea Party way of doing things! Isn't this what they always wanted?

Tea party is against taxes. You look for every opportunity to blame the tea party for everything. I think Andy may have something if those homeowners are paying property taxes to that county then they are already paying for the fire fighting services.

Tea party is against taxes. You look for every opportunity to blame the tea party for everything. I think Andy may have something if those homeowners are paying property taxes to that county then they are already paying for the fire fighting services.

I thought it was a "fee".

So the county does not offer the services? That makes **** sense.

ummmm IT"S NOT A TAX, it's a FEE:rolleyes:

It's called PROPERTY TAX WHERE I LIVE

I'm going to try the SST method again.

Where I grew up, the population was 365, we had a vol FF, no police force (and 2 sheriffs for the entire county), and a general store. My mom was on city council.

Those who lived in city limits (all 1.3 square miles of it) paid city tax, which funded 35% of the VolFF's finances.

If you were on our water system but were outside the city limits, $5 of your water bill ("out-of-city rate") funded 20% of the VolFF's finances.

If they had to work a fire outside city limits, city sent the property owner a bill equivalent to rental of the equipment for x hours. I think it was $40 per hour. This was seperate from the water usage fee, which was calculated by taking the # of gallons that the 4 wells produced, subtracting the # of gallons that the system water meters registered, thus resulting "uncounted gallons" -> the amount billed to the property owner.

As was the normal case, if there were multiple fires, the uncounted gallons bill was split proportionally by time. IE a 2 hour fire was billed 40%, a 3 hour fire billed 60%.

Private donations funded the remainder of the VolFF's finances.

The VolFF got $0 from the county.

Not every city or county provides every service. I get my trash picked up by the city, before we moved here it was $27.00 a month for a private contractor. I pay a sewer use tax yet I'm not connected. In fact I paid almost 2 grand for them to tear up the street and run the line in front of my house. Life's not fair now is it?

I'd like to know if they had fire insurance. If so why didn't the insurance company require them to pay the fee? If they didn't they're double stupid.

Yea i pay school tax and haven't even had a child in school for 20 or so years

I live outside the city limits of Palestine. My fire protection is the VFF just down the road. I contribute $1 a month through my water bill to the VFF. I also donate to them when they hold the annual fundraiser. Most of my county is covered only by VFF companies --- 13 in all.

I understand this situation in Tennessee. They knew there was a fee and chose not to pay it. Shame on them. And shame on the insurer(if the house was insured) for not requiring the fee to be paid.

I live out in the country and we're also serviced by volunteer firemen. If they have to call the fire department in town or if we have to call an ambulance, there is a fee we have to pay for that. We're not charged by the year, we're charged per call. We know this and have the money set aside (and have for 17 years) to pay for it if we need it. It's called being prepared. I feel sorry for this family, but if they knew there was a fee and didn't pay it, that's their fault and nobody else's.

I just don't understand ... right or wrong ... how you would stand by and watch someone's home burn down.

What if a family was trapped in there? Would they still stand there, listen to them screaming for help and still do nothing.

I think it's sick ... no one deserves that.

I do believe the article I read said that if someone had been in danger, the department would have gone in.

But hey, since it's only a house that a family has not only their mortgage tied into, but also their wordly possessions and memories such as weddings, birthdays, births & death, that sucker can burn to the ground.

Because apparently, some people are really spiteful over not being paid $75.

But hey, since it's only a house that a family has not only their mortgage tied into, but also their wordly possessions and memories such as weddings, birthdays, births & death, that sucker can burn to the ground.

Because apparently, some people are really spiteful over not being paid $75.

like the article say.....If they save one house that the fee wasn't paid. no telling how many wouldn't pay the fee and expct their houses to be saved.

RULES are RULES arn't they???? They are put forth for a reason..

like the article say.....If they save one house that the fee wasn't paid. no telling how many wouldn't pay the fee and expct their houses to be saved.

RULES are RULES arn't they???? They are put forth for a reason..

Some rules are retarded and shouldn't be on the books in the first place.

This was a mobile home, a trailer if you will. Once they start burning there's not much left to save.

If you forgot to pay your insurance permium and your house burns down, you probably expect the insurance comapny to cover it too.:rolleyes:

Didn't realize the Fire Department was a business designed to make a profit. :rolleyes:

Didn't realize the Fire Department was a business designed to make a profit. :rolleyes:

It has nothing to do with profit. It has everything to do with, you get what you pay for....If I don't pay for something I don't EXPECT to get something...

it's a pretty simple concept.

Back
Top Bottom