You Got To Be Chitting Me

It has nothing to do with profit. It has everything to do with, you get what you pay for....If I don't pay for something I don't EXPECT to get something...

it's a pretty simple concept.

Wrong, for the most part, any emergency service is run by the government, and there forth is there to serve the public. I'd hate to see what would happen if I didn't pay the EMT fine.

I'd like to think that when one enters into a public service job, such as FF, EMT, Police officers, that they'd hold themselves up to a higher standard than the mob who will often either help you, or hurt you depending on whether or not you paid your "protection money".

In any public service job, doing your job should come first, and THEN collect the money through sending the same person you just helped the bill.

Wrong, for the most part, any emergency service is run by the government, and there forth is there to serve the public. I'd hate to see what would happen if I didn't pay the EMT fine.

I'd like to think that when one enters into a public service job, such as FF, EMT, Police officers, that they'd hold themselves up to a higher standard than the mob who will often either help you, or hurt you depending on whether or not you paid your "protection money".

In any public service job, doing your job should come first, and THEN collect the money through sending the same person you just helped the bill.

awwwwww, I see just like Obama Care:rolleyes:

BTW, what bill would you send them? the 3000 it cost them to go out there?

But hey, since it's only a house that a family has not only their mortgage tied into, but also their wordly possessions and memories such as weddings, birthdays, births & death, that sucker can burn to the ground.

Because apparently, some people are really spiteful over not being paid $75.

I guess it wasn't so important that the family felt like it was worth paying the 75.00 for.

Not all emergency service is run by a government. Volunteer fire departments are not always associated with a city or county therefore they receive NO funding from a city or county. These volunteer fire departments depend solely on these fees and donations to maintain the equipment and apparatus they use to fight fires. Without these fees and donations there is nothing to fight a fire with! I understand that these fire fighters were in a difficult position having to stand there and watch someone's home burn when they are trained to put out fires. But, that was what they had to do. I would hope that others in that area stand up and pay attention. Pay the dang fee!!

Not all emergency service is run by a government. Volunteer fire departments are not always associated with a city or county therefore they receive NO funding from a city or county. These volunteer fire departments depend solely on these fees and donations to maintain the equipment and apparatus they use to fight fires. Without these fees and donations there is nothing to fight a fire with! I understand that these fire fighters were in a difficult position having to stand there and watch someone's home burn when they are trained to put out fires. But, that was what they had to do. I would hope that others in that area stand up and pay attention. Pay the dang fee!!

Actually, volunteer fire departments that aren't associated with a county or city may still get numerous subsidies, tax benefits and other revenue thrown at them from local and state governments, even the federal government.

Actually, volunteer fire departments that aren't associated with a county or city may still get numerous subsidies, tax benefits and other revenue thrown at them from local and state governments, even the federal government.

Actually, not all do. Some can apply for grants, if they get them, its a different story.

Most volunteer departments I have been associated with have to do fund raisers like pancake suppers, turkey shoots, bingo, yard sales, ect. They also depend on donations from other paid fire departments, such as trucks with thousands of miles already put on them and used turn-out gear.

While the home owner should have paid the fee, I don't see how the firemen could morally stand there and do nothing. its not like they would have been fired.....Sometimes doing the right thing is not doing the right thing.

Okey dokey what if this happens. Firefighter loses his/her life while fighting this fire. Who will pay? Homeowner doesn't have a pot to pizz in and after the fire no window to throw it out of either. Will any benefits be paid to the FF'er survivors and by who? Vol FF Co. that I know of have very good insurance for those injured, or worse, while on duty but this fire wasn't a legitimate call in the sense they weren't covered because they didn't pay the fee.

I do agree it would be hard to stand there and do nothing watching a families house burn down.

Thank you Maj.

You said it perfectly. Pretty much what I would have said.

Actually, not all do. Some can apply for grants, if they get them, its a different story.

Most volunteer departments I have been associated with have to do fund raisers like pancake suppers, turkey shoots, bingo, yard sales, ect. They also depend on donations from other paid fire departments, such as trucks with thousands of miles already put on them and used turn-out gear.

While the home owner should have paid the fee, I don't see how the firemen could morally stand there and do nothing. its not like they would have been fired.....Sometimes doing the right thing is not doing the right thing.

Fergy, you are correct in what you say. It is true that not all department's get government monies for their support. But I am sure that Andy, being the expert on governments and taxes will continue to disagree.

I also agree with you...... The moral thing to do is if you arrive at a fire, you put it out. There is no saying that you have to respond if you are unable to do so. There are cases in some rural areas where there isn't much daytime help at volunteer stations and if an engine never got out of the station, there would not be a liability factor in not putting out a fire. But in N.C. if you respond and arrive on the scene, you are required to take steps to put out the fire.

I doubt there would be much of a life hazard to firefighters if they had at least fought the fire with an exterior attack and not get involved in interior firefighting. It is just morally wrong to just sit there and watch it burn because of an unpaid fire feel.

Our VFF's get some help from the county, but it doesn't even begin to cover expenses.

$75 a year is a very small price to pay for fire coverage. BTW, if my arithmetic skills are correct, that is $6.25 a MONTH.

Our VFF's get some help from the county, but it doesn't even begin to cover expenses.

$75 a year is a very small price to pay for fire coverage. BTW, if my arithmetic skills are correct, that is $6.25 a MONTH.
even a minimum wage 16 yr old could pay that...

Shoot, I just shelled out $83 for my websites.

Why is the fire dept not funded by property taxes, seems STUPID that an EMERGENCY SERVICE should not be afforded to ALL, simply put tax the property and the problem goes away..as far as the firemen to stand by and watch YOUR FELLOW man's life go up in smoke with no aid is ludicrous.

Why is the fire dept not funded by property taxes, seems STUPID that an EMERGENCY SERVICE should not be afforded to ALL, simply put tax the property and the problem goes away..as far as the firemen to stand by and watch YOUR FELLOW man's life go up in smoke with no aid is ludicrous.

That's the way it's done here

Fireman watches a house burn and do nothing HERE the property owner will own the county after the law suites

You pay Union Fire District taxes in Wakefield, RI. Seperate from the personal property taxes on your house, car, boat etc. If you don't pay, you also don't vote in local elections. Response time might be a tad slower too.

Look, we have 50 states and 50 different insurance commisioners for auto,home, and med insurance. All have their own little kingdom.

Now how many counties are there in the states nationwide and how many different forms of govt do they run under?

AFter the national exposure recieved after this exact same thing happened in this county just about a year ago who wouldn't pay the fee/tax??

Do I feel sorry for them, sure but they have no one to blame but themselves.

You pay Union Fire District taxes in Wakefield, RI. Seperate from the personal property taxes on your house, car, boat etc. If you don't pay, you also don't vote in local elections. Response time might be a tad slower too.

Look, we have 50 states and 50 different insurance commisioners for auto,home, and med insurance. All have their own little kingdom.

Now how many counties are there in the states nationwide and how many different forms of govt do they run under?

AFter the national exposure recieved after this exact same thing happened in this county just about a year ago who wouldn't pay the fee/tax??

Do I feel sorry for them, sure but they have no one to blame but themselves.

And you r right but

This has to be illegal
You pay Union Fire District taxes in Wakefield, RI. Seperate from the personal property taxes on your house, car, boat etc. If you don't pay, you also don't vote in local elections.

Back
Top Bottom