Your Chase

If we can't get rid of the Chase format gimmick altogether, then I propose an elimination format gimmick where, like other sports, the surviving team that performs best in the last event of the season is crowned as champion.

> the top 12 in points after 26 races qualify for a 9 race elimination series
> in each of the 9 races, the driver that finishes worst is eliminated from championship contention
> after the 9th race of the elimination series (35th race of the season), nine drivers will have been eliminated and three drivers will remain in contention for the championship
> of the 3 drivers remaining in contention, the one that finishes best in the last race of the season is the season champion

With this format last year, Keselowski, Johnson & Stewart would have been the remaining contenders going into the last race at Homestead.

By finishing better than JJ & Smoke in that race, Keselowski would have been champion.

go figure . . .

I like the concept but with my elimination idea, it would be unlikely for the point leader going into the chase to be eliminated the first chase race. I think your system makes it a total crap shoot.

How about we just go the full blown reality TV route? Whoever wins a race in the Chase gets "immunity" for that week, and at the end of the race, the other drivers will vote one of the Chase drivers out of the Chase. When we get down to the final week at Homestead, there will be a two-part finale, and America will decide the Sprint Cup champion by texting their votes, standard text messaging rates may apply. There has to be an off week between Phoenix and Homestead for a reunion show, where all the voted off drivers will dish about their feuds and experiences during the Chase. I think this is just the fix that the Chase needs. (I don't know how to insert that little sarcasm rain cloud, but if I did it would be inserted here).

I like the concept but with my elimination idea, it would be unlikely for the point leader going into the chase to be eliminated the first chase race. I think your system makes it a total crap shoot.

Without a doubt a playoff elimination system, like that used in most major league sports, is a crap-shoot.

Just ask any top-seeded team that's gotten eliminated in the first round.

For the record, I prefer going back to the system used before the Chase was instituted.

IMO, the only thing that needed fixing was that not enough points were awarded to race winners.

Would anyone be in favour of switching the plate race out for a road course? Not saying I would be but curious as to what other think, that fall Talladega race last year ended up being a gong show at the end.

Personally I'd like to see a track like Darlington or maybe Richmond get a Chase race and take out Kansas or Chicagoland

Without a doubt a playoff elimination system, like that used in most major league sports, is a crap-shoot.

Just ask any top-seeded team that's gotten eliminated in the first round.

For the record, I prefer going back to the system used before the Chase was instituted.

IMO, the only thing that needed fixing was that not enough points were awarded to race winners.

:( Spurs know some of that.

They got eliminated by the 8th seed in 2011.

Back
Top Bottom