2016 Indianapolis - Combat Wounded Coalition 400 - Pre Race Thread

@bobpockrass

Tony Stewart is given a piece of the catchfence that he climbed after his 2005 Brickyard victory.

Cn_A1LBWEAAsF0S.jpg:large

Once he retires from Nascar...I could see Tony becoming one of those "tree topper" lumberjack dudes that climb the big ones with a chainsaw hanging off their belt :punkrocke

:director:

Everyone says "this track shouldn't have this date cuz it's too hot". Every year Michigan, Loudon, Pocono, and Indy get people bitching about how hot it was at the track, and that they shouldn't race there in the summer. Guess what tracks are the most northern in NASCAR? Michigan, Loudon, Pocono, and Indy (and Dover).

Only way around the heat...night races...but we don't like those either do we?

It makes no diff to me as my days of attending races are in the past so it is all the same to me if it is zero or 100. I do think keeping the races on Sunday afternoon is the best bet though as Saturday night is a graveyard for TV watching.

In the 1970s few fans stayed home because of the heat.

In the 1970's I didn't have air in the house and I think it was 1978 before I had a car with AC.

A debris caution looms...

NASCAR on NBCSN ‏@NASCARonNBC
We found the secret location at @IMS that's home to over 25,000 balloons that will be released today! #Brickyard400

CoI2-LeVMAA1exw.jpg

Looks like something the Vikings would use to christen their new stadium.

In the 1970's I didn't have air in the house and I think it was 1978 before I had a car with AC.

Haha! The A/C just croaked on my 2002 Buick Century so (living in the ATL where we have had 43 consecutive days of 90+)...I only get out in the morning. It's a conundrum. Buy a new car when everything else is working?

No way will I have the A/C fixed/replaced - that would cost more than the car is worth.

GO TONY! GO JEFFY!

It's the Brickyard Baby !!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm just staying in the house. There's nothing outside that needs my attention. It's stupid hot here, too.
Busted my hump in the yard this morning for 2.5 hours, with regular breaks, with both temp and humidity between 85 and 90. I've earned my afternoon in the A/C.

Anyone in decent physical shape should not cite "too hot" as a reason to not go to a race. Hot temps=slick racing, excuses to get more beer, and best...errrr...ummmm..."dress code" from other fans* :D:eek:

*unless you get this guy in front of you

shirtlessnascarfan.jpg
I've probably told this story, but I had a young dude in front of me at Myrtle Beach for a Busch race when Jr. was still in that series. Kid had his girlfriend put a '3' on his back with sunscreen. As the afternoon progressed, the unmarked portion of his back turned as red as the seats in the picture above. I don't know why the young idiot didn't have her put the sunscreen every except where the '3' would be. Probably too dumb and / or drunk to think of it.

Haha! The A/C just croaked on my 2002 Buick Century so (living in the ATL where we have had 43 consecutive days of 90+)...I only get out in the morning. It's a conundrum. Buy a new car when everything else is working?

No way will I have the A/C fixed/replaced - that would cost more than the car is worth.

GO TONY! GO JEFFY!

It's the Brickyard Baby !!!!!!!!!!!!

Head up to the mountains in Ball Ground to cool down!

Everyone says "this track shouldn't have this date cuz it's too hot". Every year Michigan, Loudon, Pocono, and Indy get people bitching about how hot it was at the track, and that they shouldn't race there in the summer. Guess what tracks are the most northern in NASCAR? Michigan, Loudon, Pocono, and Indy (and Dover).

Only way around the heat...night races...but we don't like those either do we?
I suspect many of the people who complain that it's too hot in Indy in July are the same ones who celebrated when Darlington was moved from May back to the sauna that is Labor Day in South Carolina. Nowadays that's a night race, but an oven is still an oven.

Indy shouldn't have a race, but not because of the weather.

Haha! The A/C just croaked on my 2002 Buick Century so (living in the ATL where we have had 43 consecutive days of 90+)...I only get out in the morning. It's a conundrum. Buy a new car when everything else is working? ...
Yeah, 4/55 air conditioning doesn't cut it on Atlanta's interstates. You never get up to operating speed.

Seat counting @ Indy, among other places, is getting as old as @AndyMarquisLive, nap time. We get it, there will be lots and lots of empty seats. I read about lot's of people on here complaining about the lack of attendance at these tracks but very few of the same people telling about their race experiences. Wanna fix the seat problem, buy a ticket and be part of the solution. On second thought, it's probably easier to continue to b!tch.

Bitching about attendance and TV ratings "validates" some fans' belief that NASCAR sucks. Those fans loved their NASCAR, and truly hate what they see, but the series has changed, and with it, the expectations for the fan base must change as well. NASCAR will be fine. It will never be what it was....and it doesn't need to be. Enjoy the race. I will.

It will be interesting to see how the "lower down-force" package works at Indy. I'm no expert on the racing surface there but I wouldn't be surprised if there are tire problems today. Just a guess but if the tires aren't planted in the corners there may be some wear issues.

Great to see Tony in his "probable" last race at Indy. As an old A.J. fan and then a Tony fan (with a little gap in there when Tony made his mistake)...it's just nice to see him in a competitive car for his last Tour de Indy.

I always liked that trumpet guy at phoenix doing the anthem...seems better played on an instrument I guess.

Well I don't see the problem. I guess it's the "ie" thing. IMO if you want to have your name spelled differently you shouldn't be concerned when normal people spell it correctly (and I doubt Jimmy-ie was really concerned). I have a co-worker gal who's name is spelled "Apreal"...I asked her how I should pronounce her name and she said "April". I thought "so why not just spell it April? like every other April I have met...of course I didn't say that to her ;)

Well I don't see the problem. I guess it's the "ie" thing. IMO if you want to have your name spelled differently you shouldn't be concerned when normal people spell it correctly (and I doubt Jimmy-ie was really concerned). I have a co-worker gal who's name is spelled "Apreal"...I asked her how I should pronounce her name and she said "April". I thought "so why not just spell it April? like every other April I have met...of course I didn't say that to her ;)
lol, okay. I'd expect the track to know how to properly spell the 6x champ's name. Jimmie said he thought it was funny.

In the 1970s few fans stayed home because of the heat.

The older I get the less I can take the heat. My idea of race day is leaving the camp around 7:00 and walking around in the pits for 3 hours before meeting up with my family in the grand stands where they have been wondering if I was dead or alive. I can't do that anymore. sigh.

Back
Top Bottom