2016 Indianapolis - Combat Wounded Coalition 400 - Pre Race Thread

Rowdy is fast, but I'm sure he has excessive toe, crab walks like a bitch, nobody is there to see it, nobody is watching on TV, race is stupid unless they move it to IRP, and the racing will be horrible, so who gives a ****? Me. Hell yes!!!!!!!!!

Do you think there is a little resentment by the 88 crew with Gordon getting in the car. With a rookie, you are just hoping the guy keeps the car on the track, but when a great driver is hired, I would imagine there is some feeling of resentment. He's not "our" guy, he's just a "name". Those feelings probably go away if he wins on sunday. haha.
Nah, considering Gordon worked with this team and these people less than a year ago. Not like he's a complete outsider.

SATURDAY, JULY 23:

ON TRACK: INDIANAPOLIS
-- 11:45 a.m.: NASCAR XFINITY Series Coors Light Pole Qualifying, NBCSN (Follow live)
-- 1:45 p.m.: NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Coors Light Pole Qualifying, NBCSN (Follow live)
-- 3:30 p.m.: NASCAR XFINITY Series Lilly Diabetes 250 Heat #1 (20 laps, 50 miles), NBCSN (Follow live)
-- 4:25 p.m. (approx): NASCAR XFINITY Series Lilly Diabetes 250 Heat #2 (20 laps, 50 miles), NBCSN (Follow live)
-- 5:05 p.m. (approx): NASCAR XFINITY Series Lilly Diabetes 250 Main (60 laps, 150 miles), NBCSN (Follow live)

PRESS CONFERENCES (Watch live)

-- 12:15 p.m.: Danica Patrick
-- 3 p.m.: NSCS post qualifying
-- 6 p.m.: NXS post race

CoBTEYAWEAALTKD.jpg

I always cringe when I see the "crowd" during this race. It's not a good look when the stands for what is supposedly one of the most prestigious races of the year are only 25% full.

What also makes things bad is that there is no buzz or coverage of the event as until I read it here I did not even realize the 400 was this weekend. The 400 used to create a kind of carnival atmosphere with all sorts of media coverage, games, contests and overall excitement for the event. My buddies in Indy tell me there is more interest in the upcoming Colts training camp then the race.

I agree. It's become an embarrassment to everyone involved. Deal with the 1-week of bad press announcing this will be the last one, and embrace the good will of the fans that would result from a race at Iowa or some other deserving short track.

Indy was put on the schedule when people lined up like lemmings to associate with anything NASCAR. It is to bad the schedule can't be redone.

Nascar doesn't fill the enormous grandstands at Indy, but the race draws double the number of fans that could fit in at Iowa. I'm hopeful the lower downforce rules might improve the race some. It certainly has done that at all the other 2016 races.

I think someone stuck a fork in Indy right around the tire debacle. It is a terrible track to see a race at and is not really suitable for the current car NASCAR uses. People can't even give away tickets for the race and in the Indianapolis market it is a non starter.

I can testify that it is hot and muggy and will probably be the worst during the race. I have been at the lake since Thursday and the water still refreshing but warm

At least 3x? The Indy 500 had 350,000 estimated attendees. No way in hell NASCAR draws more than 70,000 people to Indy...let alone 117,000 (which would be 1/3 of the 500 crowd.

It is oppresively hot here so I would be surprised if attendance reached 70,000

I love this race. It's so technical. You have to turn to get the thing going down the straight. A perfect blend of handling and power. Love it. I won't be watching the stands or waiting for TV ratings on this one. I will be looking to see how my TRD powered Camrys turn and burn down the front straight. I suggest we get the bitching about the attendance and TV ratings out of the way now so that we can have a meaningful conversation about the race after it is done. Who's with me? Didn't think so.

When the Brickyard was announced it was in such high demand that a lottery had to be held to distribute tickets. When you contrast that to what the race has become today it is understandable the current conversation is taking place. JMO but I think only a handful of people watch NASCAR for its technical aspects......not that there is anything wrong with that

nascarcasm‏@nascarcasm
I guess you're supposed to say "glow" instead of "sweat" so if you're coming to Indy today prepare to glow your balls off. #NASCAR

I was glowing at 5:00 am this morning as the heat and humidity are off the charts ford us

I wonder how many of the peeps clamoring to drop Indy from the schedule are the same ones who complain that Nascar left traditional tracks like North Wilkesboro to race at new tracks in new markets. Quite a few, I'd bet.

If NASCAR was headed in the right direction many of its current fans would be too young to remember when they raced at Wilkesboro. As it is the current fan base is made up of Andy Rooney's with similar dispositions. Be thankful for this group as if they didn't support the series to some degree you would be watching an abbreviated version of today's race via tape delay at midnight on the Oprah Winfrey Network next October.

Do you think there is a little resentment by the 88 crew with Gordon getting in the car. With a rookie, you are just hoping the guy keeps the car on the track, but when a great driver is hired, I would imagine there is some feeling of resentment. He's not "our" guy, he's just a "name". Those feelings probably go away if he wins on sunday. haha.

I don't think so. After all, when the driver wins, they win.

Sure you do. Have you seen how many times they've shown it on tv? That's the point. Probably premeditated.
Nah, for once I think you're being too cynical. The team's driver is Dale Earnhardt Jr. They* wanted to make it clear that no matter how many titles and Brickyard wins their Substitute Driver of the Week may have, he's still a substitute.

* And 'They' includes that super sub.

If attendence is bad, then hopefully next year changes can be made. so of these include free giveaways, like a free piece of clothing or
some free toys

i'm sure this has been asked before, but...

why are fans obsessed with empty seats?

I care about on track racing action. can't say indy has ever provided that. yes, there was the early fascination of nascar at indy. and the stock car crowd was thrilled to make a pilgrimage to the historic speedway. and they should. but that track isn't made for heavy cars.

I hope everyone attending has a great experience. and at least if there are empty seats, those who want to watch racing will be able to move from behind the drunken a$$ that decides to alternately stand up yelling "WOO HOO!!!" and flipping the bird every lap.

last call: tony's win (I hope) creates a conspiracy theory!!!

If attendence is bad, then hopefully next year changes can be made. so of these include free giveaways, like a free piece of clothing or
some free toys
Free toys and giveaways aren't going to sway me to make a weekend trip to see a race that I'm not really interested in..... What's the price of a free Tshirt? 40 bucks? It cost me several hundred to get a free 40 buck T-shirt that will go in a yard sale for a quarter......

Two poles and a win for Kyle today....but, he caught a cloud, crab walks like a bitch, nobody was there, nobody watched on TV, the racing was ****, and things would have been different if the race had been at IRP. So, who the hell really cares? That's right....freakin' ME! Hell yes Rowdy!!!! Get some more tomorrow!

There are "fans" who think that the racing has gone to ****, and they use the empty seats as evidence that something must be done. The rest of us watch the cars on the track.

Is Wounded Comabt warrior's a real company or a spiritual sponsor like Vote for Bush in 2004 by Kirk Sherbedime
(Where is he)

It's not so much about fans being obsessed with empty seats, but rather them being concerned about empty seats. Empty seats mean that people are losing interest in the sport and when that happens, it results in less sponsor interest, which results in less money, which results in less-talented drivers entering the sport, which results in less TV viewership. This may eventually result in less/no TV coverage, less races per year, less NASCAR divisions, and possibly even the end of this sport.

Note: All times are ET
SUNDAY, JULY 24:

PRE-RACE SCHEDULE
—1:00:00 p.m.: NSCS Driver/Crew Chief Meeting (Plaza meeting Room 4)
—2:05:00 p.m.: Military Salute Parade Lap with an address to the troops during the parade lap delivered from Victory Podium
—2:30:00 p.m.: NSCS Driver Introductions with Special Awards
—2:58:00 p.m.: America the Beautiful by: Late Shift
—3:00:00 p.m.: Intro Presentation of Colors by: Joint Services Color Guard
—3:00:10 p.m.: Invocation by: Howard Brammer
—3:00:50 p.m.: National Anthem by: Cassadee Pope
—3:02:40 p.m.: Fly-By TOT: VFA-101 Grim Reapers (Turn 4-1)
—3:02:50 p.m.: "Drivers to your cars" PA Announcement
—3:07:40 p.m.: "Drivers, Start Your Engines" by: Tony George
—3:19:40 p.m.: Green Flag: Crown Royal Combat Wounded Coalition 400 at The Brickyard (160 Laps, 400 Miles)

ON TRACK: INDIANAPOLIS

-- 3 p.m.: NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Crown Royal Presents The Combat Wounded Coalition 400 at the Brickyard (160 laps, 400 miles), NBCSN (Follow live)

PRESS CONFERENCES (Watch live)

-- 6:30 p.m.: NASCAR Sprint Cup Series post race

@bobpockrass

Green flag 3:19pm ET today. AccuWeather: temps low-90s, will feel like 107; 7mph winds, 0% chance rain.

Does the Xfinity series(and Indy 500) winner kissing the bricks kinds get on anyone else's nerves? Let that be a Cup tradition. Let Indy have thier milk, let Cup have their kiss. Let Xfinity find their own.
I agree. Also, I dislike the way the kiss ceremony has become so over-produced. Special pillows, seems like 50 people out there doing it, etc. That is inevitable, I suppose, but I still don't like it. (Not a fan of the victory circle hat dance either.)

i'm sure this has been asked before, but...

I care about on track racing action. can't say indy has ever provided that. yes, there was the early fascination of nascar at indy. and the stock car crowd was thrilled to make a pilgrimage to the historic speedway. and they should. but that track isn't made for heavy cars.

I hope everyone attending has a great experience. and at least if there are empty seats, those who want to watch racing will be able to move from behind the drunken a$$ that decides to alternately stand up yelling "WOO HOO!!!" and flipping the bird every lap.

last call: tony's win (I hope) creates a conspiracy theory!!!

I don't know of anyone obsessed with empty seats but when tracks have ripped out hundreds of thousands of seats already and the stands are still nowhere near full it shows a dangerous trend. Less people tune into races these days and the extra money that FOX and NBC Sports were supposed to be able to charge cable/sat providers for their services has not materialized. Throw in Nascar's aging fan base and you have to question the series intermediate and long term viability.

I don't consider 92* anywhere near hot --- it was 107* on my front porch yesterday.

Anyone in decent physical shape should not cite "too hot" as a reason to not go to a race. Hot temps=slick racing, excuses to get more beer, and best...errrr...ummmm..."dress code" from other fans* :D:eek:

*unless you get this guy in front of you

shirtlessnascarfan.jpg

I think you have to move it. This date and everything around it has grown stale. I'd run it at high noon on a Saturday in late September and see what happens. Take your chances against college football. Avoid the NFL at all costs.

While I understand that IMS is making a ton of money, rich people hate looking bad. There will be a breaking point imo. Will it be another 2 years? Three years? 5 years?

Thankfully, I have work this afternoon and will not see this unfold. To watch a race from Indy with that few people would only make shudder and change the channel. I know the race doesn't take place in the stands but Indy is something more than what takes place on the track. There's an aura that comes with it when the stands are packed. There's no place in the world like it imo. I'd have the same feeling if 17k people showed up for the Rose Bowl. My expectation and interest is not to see a glorified Tuesday night MAC game.....

Seat counting @ Indy, among other places, is getting as old as @AndyMarquisLive, nap time. We get it, there will be lots and lots of empty seats. I read about lot's of people on here complaining about the lack of attendance at these tracks but very few of the same people telling about their race experiences. Wanna fix the seat problem, buy a ticket and be part of the solution. On second thought, it's probably easier to continue to b!tch.

Seat counting @ Indy, among other places, is getting as old as @AndyMarquisLive, nap time. We get it, there will be lots and lots of empty seats. I read about lot's of people on here complaining about the lack of attendance at these tracks but very few of the same people telling about their race experiences. Wanna fix the seat problem, buy a ticket and be part of the solution. On second thought, it's probably easier to continue to b!tch.

The problem with Indy is you buy a seat there to be part of the experience as much as you do to see the race. I feel that's especially so given the poor sightlines. The event aspect is why the Indy 500 was able to survive the split far better than NASCAR has been able to stave off the recent downturn in interest when it comes to their respective races at IMS.

In general, I think what made attending NASCAR events live in the past was being part of something "huge". The whole experience is different with more people. The energy level and anticipation is far more palpable.

Even with that said, I'll be at Pocono next week. That will be my 2nd race this month and 3rd of the year....

Last edited:
:director:

Everyone says "this track shouldn't have this date cuz it's too hot". Every year Michigan, Loudon, Pocono, and Indy get people bitching about how hot it was at the track, and that they shouldn't race there in the summer. Guess what tracks are the most northern in NASCAR? Michigan, Loudon, Pocono, and Indy (and Dover).

Only way around the heat...night races...but we don't like those either do we?

I think you have to move it. This date and everything around it has grown stale. I'd run it at high noon on a Saturday in late September and see what happens. Take your chances against college football. Avoid the NFL at all costs.

While I understand that IMS is making a ton of money, rich people hate looking bad. There will be a breaking point imo. Will it be another 2 years? Three years? 5 years?

Thankfully, I have work this afternoon and will not see this unfold. To watch a race from Indy with that few people would only make shudder and change the channel. I know the race doesn't take place in the stands but Indy is something more than what takes place on the track. There's an aura that comes with it when the stands are packed. There's no place in the world like it imo. I'd have the same feeling if 17k people showed up for the Rose Bowl. My expectation and interest is not to see a glorified Tuesday night MAC game.....

I know some people are making a big deal out of the weather but normally it is in the mid 80's for the Brickyard and I have been in hotter race weather during the original Southern 500. The September date you suggested sounds good though as if it was paired with a Colts game on Sunday it may pick up some additional attenders.

IMO the most asinine argument concerning lack of attendance at the tracks and lower viewership is that everyone is making money. On one hand it is good that things are profitable all round but on the other if they were losing money there may be some urgency to cultivate new fans and get the ship turned around. Nascar was most fortunate that 2 fledgling sports networks emerged at the same time and needed programming and were willing to ante up stupid money.

I am planning to watch the race sometime later today or tomorrow and hope to be pleasantly surprised and see a decent race but I am keeping expectations low. I know what you mean about a full and raucous building as the Big House at the University of Michigan is amazing when 105,000 are rocking the stands. I am guessing there will be 40-45K in the stands today which is OK but what happened to the other 200K that used to attend? They used to move races from tracks that had attendance like that.

Back
Top Bottom