Austin Dillon's #3 Cup ride in 2014?

Ya know the last driver that was the best up & coming was Joey Logano. Look how well he turned out :sarcasm:
Before that it was Brad Keselowski. He lived up to his expectations. For the Hendrick camp they missed with Brian Vickers and Casey Mears. Scored with KyBu but let him go way too early. Gordon had a very short but moderately successful Busch series career & was pushed to cup after only 2 years. He became a legend. JJ had a mediocre Busch series but look what he's done in cup.

So I really don't trust these up and coming young guns who are at the top of the list. Bring in a kid who we may have never heard of to drive the 24 after Jeff & we may have a new face of the sport.

This is an Earnhardt/Dillion thread so I'll quit with the Gordon opinions

See, I don't think its the driver alone.. I mean it's clearly not but sometimes the talent is there but the team is not the right fit. These kids could have a bunch of talent but be put in a situation where no matter how good it is, might not be the best way to realize their potential. People have said that JJ without Chad might not have a won a title.

I don't expect every young talent to pan out, not enough good rides with people leaving either but I do see a better talent pool then we've had in years.

Leaked to gauge interest? Who knows?

According to team officials, the picture of the #3 car is a concept RCR was working through with Cheerios at the beginning of the season, and is not the car Dillon will run next season.

So does Rick. If Gnassi is smart, he'll pull out all the stops to win with Larson and then build an organization around him before Rick buys him for the 24.
Gordon has spoken awfully highly of Kyle recently so I'm sure he's on Rick's mind. I'm not sure how long his EGR contract is (2016? 2017?) but once he's a free agent he's as big of a can't-miss prospect as you can be. EGR has made strides this year but I don't know if they'll build up to something that can be an attractive long-term home for him in just a few years.

The number belongs to Nascar. As long as RCR renews each year it is "theirs".
If the #3 was in a different style, meaning not the forward slant associated with Sr I wouldn't have a problem. Looks to me that dillon is trying to use a iconic number to cash in, therefore I won't be looking forward to seeing it on the track.

FWIW Nascar has retired a number, the #61 in the Modified series driven by Richie Evans a 9 time champ which includes 8 straight from 1978 to 1985.

Damn shame. If someone is gonna bring back the 3 it certainly shouldn't be a spoiled biatch like Dillon.

You are entitled to your opinion, but he has proved himself capable of racing well. He's coming up through the ranks and showing
improvement. Yes, his grandfather has probably spoiled him, but that's a grandfather's right. At the same time, while backing Austin,
he hasn't moved him up too fast. Just my opinion.

And I don't appreciate your language.

You are entitled to your opinion, but he has proved himself capable of racing well. He's coming up through the ranks and showing
improvement. Yes, his grandfather has probably spoiled him, but that's a grandfather's right. At the same time, while backing Austin,

YEP.

I see cowboy hats every day, no problem. I wish he would quit wearing one with his racing suit so you anti cowboy hat people would shut up about it. Cows and race horses are a big part of the economy where I live. Yo big mac goes to 10 bucks real quick if the hats quit selling cows.

I don't understand the Dillon hate either. It's not like Childress dumped them in a NW car for a year and then boosted them to Cup. Austin and Ty are clearly driven to win races and championships and earn their cup ride some day. Since they have talent, why would Richard put someone else in his cars?

I don't understand the Dillon hate either. It's not like Childress dumped them in a NW car for a year and then boosted them to Cup. Austin and Ty are clearly driven to win races and championships and earn their cup ride some day. Since they have talent, why would Richard put someone else in his cars?
Because people don't like hats. There seems to be a fear of hats on here.

the cowboy hat is freaking cool!!!!! how bought brian vickers carrying around a bottle of shampoo. is that your idea of a cool driver. one that doesn't get their hands dirty or maintains a just so image. I like to see some edge from the drivers. I like to see them set themselves apart. stenhouse also wears a cowboy hat sometimes. I love seeing them, this harkins back to the past of the sport. Which sort of driver is more likely to be the "working mans" driver. the driver humpy wheeler talked about as missing from the sport. carl edwards aint that guy, vickers aint that guy, kahne aint that guy. could austin or stenhouse be that guy, ummm maybe.

I agree about not retiring numbers but if the driver has 7 or more cup titles and dies on the last lap of the sports biggest race while holding off cars trying to pass the 2 he owns, then ok I think that earns number retirement in my book. Why didn't we just have kevin harvick jump into a 3 car?? it was respect for dale. The 3 car has been dormant out of respect for dale. whats changed that?? a sponsor wanting exposure and a team owner wanting the sponsor to spend alot of money. its likely the deal couldn't be put together without changing to the 3 number. to me the respect for dale is lost in all that. To me its using his legacy for financial gain.

I think everyone needs something to complain about. Someone in a hat seems to be an easy target.
no coincidence to me he is wearing a cowboy hat, goes right along with his general foods Cheerios sponsor. Smoky Yunick had his trademark cowboy hat.

daveyhat.jpg

I have to admit, that was fun while it lasted. Having a hat party. Lets see, I think if he goes with a black #3 car at the first it won't be good, too big of a shock. I had a mind bend watching the black 3 truck take a hit from Elliott, should have been the other way around.

Not that anyone could ever forget Dale Earnhardt, but I think having his number out there will help keep his memory alive.

I have to admit, that was fun while it lasted. Having a hat party. Lets see, I think if he goes with a black #3 car at the first it won't be good, too big of a shock. I had a mind bend watching the black 3 truck take a hit from Elliott, should have been the other way around.
I don't think Richard could handle a totally black car, either.

Hopefully these are a little more on target.....

DAYTONA BEACH, FL - FEB. 1963: Junior Johnson stands with his 1963 Chevrolet after qualifying third for the Daytona 500.

image.adapt.full.high.jpg

As an independent driver/owner, Richard Childress drove the No. 3 after changing his number from No. 96.

After he left the driver's seat, Childress put Ricky Rudd behind the wheel of the No. 3.

Once Earnhardt Sr. returned to RCR in 1984, he made the No. 3 Wrangler car successful with two Sprint Cup titles.

In 1988, Earnhardt and Childress switched to the now iconic black No. 3 car that produced five championships and brought fans to their feet each week.

I'm in favor of the 3 coming back but no matter how many ways people explain it, their will be people that will forever hate the idea.

Back
Top Bottom