Did Keselowski 'skirt' rules? Dale Jr. road manager raises suspicions

dpkimmel2001

Team Owner
Late in Sunday's race at Chicagoland Speedway, where Brad Keselowski kicked off the Chase for the Sprint Cup with an impressive win, Dale Earnhardt Jr. road manager Mike Hoag sent the Twitterverse a-chatter with a tweet claiming that Keselowski's Team Penske pit crew "cheated up" the ride side skirt on Keselowski's No. 2 car during a pit stop.

Keselowski, who used a bold move up the middle of Kevin Harvick and Kyle Larson to grab the lead for the final time with 16 laps to go, certainly could've benefited from having his car's side skirt pulled out - which Hoag's since-deleted tweet alleged - at a track where aerodynamic efficiency is critical to maximizing speed.

Keselowski hit back at Hoag on Twitter, firing off a response not long after the accusation was made.

HoagTweet.vadapt.955.medium.0.png

2 car.jpg

NASCAR had no issue with Keselowski's Ford during post-race inspection, although the car was one of three vehicles the sanctioning body took back to its R&D Center this week for standard post-race evaluation.

Asked after the race if the No. 2 car had incurred damage, crew chief Paul Wolfe suggested it hadn't - although the side skirt looked to be flared out a bit on the right side.

Bxhi5e3IEAAxR9V.jpg

"I haven't seen it," Wolfe said. "There wasn't any damage from the wheel. Maybe something from going down on the apron on the restarts here. When you go down on the flat, a lot of times that will cause a little bit of damage. That could have been what you were seeing there."

Was the damage on Keselowski's race-winning car a result of foul play or simply hard racing?

Perhaps more importantly, did it provide the No. 2 with an aerodynamic advantage that helped Keselowski become the first driver to secure automatic entry into the Chase Contender Round?

Certainly, there is no love lost between Team Penske and Hendrick Motorsports, which have dominated much of the 2014 season and collectively have six cars in the Chase.

Earnhardt Jr., of course, is a Hendrick driver, so it's not totally surprising that his road manager would be on high alert for any potential wrongdoing by a rival team that likely represents Hendrick's biggest obstacle to a championship.

So did Penske bend the rules at Chicagoland, or was Hoag just trying to stir the proverbial pot?

We may never know for sure, but it's pretty clear where the various parties stand, and the glaring tension between the Hendrick and Penske camps should make for fascinating fodder in the final nine weeks of the season.

A clever way to use exhaust gases to provide down force ? :idunno:

You can't prove either way on that one though. That could legitimately had come from damage. Can't punish guys for getting damage that HAPPENS to give them an advantage.

This is supposedly fairly common. Not a big deal, but probably the first time it's gotten such attention.

I think I need to sit these boys down and have a little chat with them. I'm not gonna have this infighting on my race team. If they keep it up, I'm gonna be looking for two new drivers.

I love this time of the year. Someone is always trying to get in someone else's head.

Brad is loving it for sure. No way he can complain about the comments anyway.

I miss the Hamlin / Keselowski banter back when Denny was running interference for Kyle in NW races, and Brad was knocking him out of the way. Hope it gets heated with the starched shirts at HMS.

I do think the 2 has "found" something the other guys haven't. Whether it is illegal or not is up to Nascar, but they have been down right dominant at some tracks lately that make me wonder a bit here and there.

Brad is loving it for sure. No way he can complain about the comments anyway.

I miss the Hamlin / Keselowski banter back when Denny was running interference for Kyle in NW races, and Brad was knocking him out of the way. Hope it gets heated with the starched shirts at HMS.

Hamlin hasnt done anything for Kyle Busch in his whole life, Kyles nationwide record is due to his ability to drive those cars IMO................ YMWPV

I believe the 2 team skirted the rules.

But towards the end of the race, I thought i saw the 24 car have the same "modification" as the 2 car. So if I saw correctly, I'm not in a position to bitch about it.

I don't have the race recorded, so I can't go back and look.

This reminds me of a video where Junior Johnson is using a 10 lb sledge hammer to adjust the spoiler on his teams car. lol

Just figured out what's going on. Jr. doesn't want Kez riled up and asking nascar to take a closer look at Chase Elliott's tricked out #9.

BS Even Logano said blocking for the other JGR cars was the norm when he ran NW.

Of course you would believe yer two favorite boys, Joey and Denny. Next you will tell me that Kyle has never won a championship .............. yawn

This is sad when a "manager" of a superstar thinks its ok and proper to call out someone for cheating out like that. Jr. Must feel a little embarrassed by all this.

You can't prove either way on that one though. That could legitimately had come from damage. Can't punish guys for getting damage that HAPPENS to give them an advantage.

Like Larsons downforce deal earlier in the year. I remember JR belly aching over that.

Back
Top Bottom