Fired Up Friday Question(s)

dpkimmel2001

Team Owner
I'm going to try this again to promote some different discussion on here. Each Friday on Sirius NASCAR Radio's The Morning Drive show they ask opinions on three different topics. Here's this weeks questions.....

Question #1: What will be the bigger story - Jimmie Johnson wins his 7th Sprint Cup title or Dale Jr wins his first career championship?

I think Dale Jr. wining his first championship would be a much larger story for NASCAR. I'm not downplaying a 7th championship by Jimmie Johnson a bit. Hat's off to him should it happen but Dale Jr. would be the biggest story.

Question #2: Will Kyle Busch sweep the weekend at Ky Speedway?

Nope, not gonna happen.

Question #3: What would be more impressive - Jeff Gordon Web wins at Ky Speedway giving him a win at every track on the schedule or Tony Stewart wins a race this year giving him a win in each of the past fifteen seasons?

I think Jeff Gordon wining at every track on the schedule would be the bigger accomplishment. If I were a Tony Stewart fan I'd probably differ on that opinion.

I'm going to try this again to promote some different discussion on here. Each Friday on Sirius NASCAR Radio's The Morning Drive show they ask opinions on three different topics. Here's this weeks questions.....

Question #1: What will be the bigger story - Jimmie Johnson wins his 7th Sprint Cup title or Dale Jr wins his first career championship?

I think Dale Jr. wining his first championship would be a much larger story for NASCAR. I'm not downplaying a 7th championship by Jimmie Johnson a bit. Hat's off to him should it happen but Dale Jr. would be the biggest story.

Nope, not gonna happen.

Question #3: What would be more impressive - Jeff Gordon Web wins at Ky Speedway giving him a win at every track on the schedule or Tony Stewart wins a race this year giving him a win in each of the past fifteen seasons?

I think Jeff Gordon wining at every track on the schedule would be the bigger accomplishment. If I were a Tony Stewart fan I'd probably differ on that opinion.
I agree with you on all three points except if Jeff Gordon wins at Kentucky it will be a win at every track he has raced on in a cup points race. Including Rockingham and North Wilkesboro.

Last edited:
#1 I say Jimmie winning a 7th championship will be a bigger accomplishment, but if Jr wins a championship then it will be bigger since it would be very popular, plus everyone pretty much expects Jimmie to win a 7th or 8th championship.

#2 There's a cup race this weekend, so NO.

#3 Jeff Gordon winning on every track is bigger to me, it really shows the talent he has to win on a variety of tracks.

#1 I say Jimmie winning a 7th championship will be a bigger accomplishment, but if Jr wins a championship then it will be bigger since it would be very popular, plus everyone pretty much expects Jimmie to win a 7th or 8th championship.

#2 There's a cup race this weekend, so NO.

#3 Jeff Gordon winning on every track is bigger to me, it really shows the talent he has to win on a variety of tracks.
Jimmie and Dale Jr..... It's not about the accomplishment. It's about the story. Which is the bigger story?

Jimmie and Dale Jr..... It's not about the accomplishment. It's about the story. Which is the bigger story?
Bigger story would probably be Jr winning a championship, so he can put himself in the same group of driver's like his dad that have won a championship. Plus to do it knowing this is Steve's last year as crew chief.

If Jr wins the championship, god help us all :D If you think the media is saturated with Jr topics when he wins a race, prepare for the 2nd coming if he wins the championship. It'll be good for him & the sport but itll be the championship of the decade, even if afterwards JJ goes on to win 7 or 8 or 9 or 10.

Ky sweep? You really can never count him out so its possible.

Since I'm a Gordon fan, of course I'm gonna go with him having a W on all scheduled tracks. Thats just too doggon impressive.

Good idea for a thread dpk.

1. Dale Jr. would be the bigger story, Because He is Dale Jr. ;)

2. Kyle Busch sweep, Odds are against it, Too many good cars in the cup series.

3.Jeff Gordon wins at every track would be just a bit bigger story IMO.

On another note, thanks for a great thread, we need more stuff like this.

1. Dale Jr winning the Championship would be a much bigger story, If he wins the championship, I would think I died and I went to heaven.
2. He won the truck race last night, but I don't know if he will win the Nationwide race, and I know he isn't going to win the Cup race
3. Jeff Gordon winning on every track because that is a hard thing to do, and he also won at North Wilkesboro and Rockingham

1. Dale jr...bigger for the history of nascar...bigger for him....fully stepping out from dads shadow.

2. Never count him out....he will drive the wheels off a car to win. say what you want about him but he just wants to win

3. Tony. I'm a tony fan, and I dont hate Gordon. But I just feel that kind of historic show of revelance is more impressive than Gordon winning on a track he had not.

1. The bigger story would be Dale Jr. It shouldnt be that way, but he is the most popular driver and it would be. For whatever reason we dont like to see sustained success and Jimmie has done just that. There is a ton of Jimmie dislike out there because he has been so dominant and in my opinion people should take a step back and realize what they are currently watching. He is on the cusp of putting himself on a different echelon. With number 7 he is 1 of 3. The Mt. Rushmore so to speak gets a little more crowded, but we've seen it 6 times from him and Dale Jr. would pop the sport there is no denying that.

2. Kyle has not been very good as of late in the cup races. That being said, I never count him out of pulling off the sweep. Sometimes when he is on its as if nobody else exists.

3. This one is hard because they both show a level of sustained success and consistency. I will choose Tony winning 15 consecutive years. You really cant be wrong here. Jeff winning at every track is just ridiculous. It shows how diverse of a driver he is and how good HMS is. Tony winning 15 straight years is not an easy feat at all. Most drivers dont just contend 1 time a year. Generally if you have a win you have also been in contention for others throughout the year. Seeing some of the droughts that some of these guys go through and knowing that Tony has never had a drought last more then a cup season schedule is an eye popping stat.

1. JR Nation would explode if he won the championship and maybe it would help the ratings.
2. Not in 2014.
3. Tough call. Stewart winning in 15 straight seasons would be impressive without question but Gordon winning on every track in the circuit just sounds fitting - it would be the cherry on top of one of the best careers and drivers auto racing has ever seen.

Nope, not gonna happen.

#1 Dale Jr. first title
#2 No, to much comp on Cup side, but, as they say never say never. o_O
#3 Easy answer here, JG gets win and has win at all tracks on circuit!!!
#4 Best outcome for the weekend, Mat wins on Sunday!:)

3. This one is hard because they both show a level of sustained success and consistency. I will choose Tony winning 15 consecutive years. You really cant be wrong here. Jeff winning at every track is just ridiculous. It shows how diverse of a driver he is and how good HMS is. Tony winning 15 straight years is not an easy feat at all. Most drivers dont just contend 1 time a year. Generally if you have a win you have also been in contention for others throughout the year. Seeing some of the droughts that some of these guys go through and knowing that Tony has never had a drought last more then a cup season schedule is an eye popping stat.
Tony has/had 36 chances to win a race this year. This will only be JGs 4th chance to win one at Kentucky and complete something no one else has ever done by winning at least one cup points race at every track he's raced on. Advantage JG.

1.) Dale Jr would definitely be the bigger story, Johnson the bigger accomplishment if he got to Seven. Johnson has a few year's left and is good every year. Jr may never have a run like this again and he's losing Letarte.

2.) No, I think JGR coukd get the win at the QS400, but not with Kyle.

3.) Gordon...even though getting at least one win in every year Tony has raced is impressive. Winning at all types and every track is very impressive.

1. Dale Jr's first championship
2. No
3. Jeff winning at on every track on the schedule, because Jeff is a great driver.

Tony has/had 36 chances to win a race this year. This will only be JGs 4th chance to win one at Kentucky and complete something no one else has ever done by winning at least one cup points race at every track he's raced on. Advantage JG.

What Jeff has done is impressive as well and thats your opinion. Petty has the record at 18 consecutive seasons with a win. Gordon has had his whole career to amass wins at most of the tracks on the circuit, while he has only had 4 attempts at Kentucky he still has had a whole career to win everywhere. What Jeff has done is incredible, but Im more impressed by Tony.

What Jeff has done is impressive as well and thats your opinion. Petty has the record at 18 consecutive seasons with a win. Gordon has had his whole career to amass wins at most of the tracks on the circuit, while he has only had 4 attempts at Kentucky he still has had a whole career to win everywhere. What Jeff has done is incredible, but Im more impressed by Tony.
It seems every time he wins somewhere new, a new track has been added to the schedule :mad:
Most recently: Kentucky added in 2011, Jeff wins at Homestead in 2012.

Jeff wins @ Kentucky & they will be at Road America in 2016. Watch it :D

Question #1:
it really should be the 7x Championship, it was when Dale Sr did it. but Jr is always the bigger story, and him winning the trophy, won't be able to find a newspaper around my town. the media already love Jr and you know he has a few fans. this would also clinch his place in the HOF. but myself i think Jimmie winning 7 is the better, but Jr winning could help 2015 season.

Question #2:
no, he has done it before, but cars are off, so no.

Question #3:
Gordon winning at every track. i think years ago having a win each season meant a lot, but now drivers are winning their rookie season. but it would be a great feat for Tony.

bigger story ---jr wins title. biggest story in yrs .
would be hyped thruout chase ....great for nascar !
7th jj title......yawn .

no ky bu sweep.

jeffie ky win .

1 - Jimmie Johnson's 7th Championship.
2 - I don't think so.
3 - Jeff Gordon winning at every active track. The way the press release from Nascar was worded it implied no one else ever has, (including Richard Petty). Which begs the question: Which tracks Petty never won on?

A sweep would be a big story, its only been done once in history, drivers name was Kyle Busch if I recall :D
Homestead will be a huge crapshoot but somebody will win, maybe JJ maybe Junior :idunno:
Not a Gordon fan.................. could care less if he wins Ky

A Gordon win this weekend would be incredible. Like someone else mentioned, he also won at Rockingham and North Wilkesboro meaning he'd have a win at every Cup venue he's ever raced at.

Darth winning a seventh championship would be monumental. If he wins an eighth, his legacy as the greatest driver in NASCAR history will be confirmed.

The fact that it would be #90 for Jeff makes it a pretty big deal too.
YEP
It seems every time he wins somewhere new, a new track has been added to the schedule :mad:
Most recently: Kentucky added in 2011, Jeff wins at Homestead in 2012.

Jeff wins @ Kentucky & they will be at Road America in 2016. Watch it :D
& YEP

Jeff Gordon winning at every active track. The way the press release from Nascar was worded it implied no one else ever has, (including Richard Petty). Which begs the question: Which tracks Petty never won on?
Many, actually - Toronto, Thompson, Fayetteville, Chattanooga, Valdosta, Watkins Glen, Wilson, Buffalo, Birmingham (Dixie), Belmar, Augusta (Augusta International Raceway), Atlanta (Lakewood), New Oxford, Sumter, Hartsville, Old Bridge, Myrtle Beach, Ontario, Jacksonville (Speedway Park), Phoenix, Pittsburgh, Moyock, Montgomery (Air Base), Jefferson, Richmond (Southside), Jacksonville (Jacksonville Speedway), Salisbury, Houston, Sonoma, and Shelby.

He raced more than twice on only seven of those.

I was thinking early 70s when they cut the schedule down to 15 (x2) tracks. Should have been easier to do.

1. Doesn't matter, Jimmie is a lock for #7 and jr. Is never going to win a title
2. No chance in hell
3. Stewart, even Gordon has had two winless seasons and he's had better equipment his whole career

JJ winning 7 would be a huge story. It was something that most everyone thought they would never see.

Nope

Granted I'm a bit biased, but I'd have to go with Stewart. Staying competitive that many years in a row is impressive.

Question #1: What will be the bigger story - Jimmie Johnson wins his 7th Sprint Cup title or Dale Jr wins his first career championship?I think Dale Jr. wining his first championship would be a much larger story for NASCAR.

For me personally? Carl winning his first... lol. For the history of the sport - Jimmie winning his 7th. For the Majority of the fan base - Dale Jr.

I sure hope not.

Question #3: What would be more impressive - Jeff Gordon wins at Ky Speedway giving him a win at every track on the schedule or Tony Stewart wins a race this year giving him a win in each of the past fifteen seasons?

Jeff Gordon for sure.

Bigger stories always have the title 'Jr' in them, but Harvick will ruin this one.

Nope, not gonna happen. Correct.

After 22 years, a driver who really cares would already have won at all the tracks. Tony winning in all 15 seasons is more impressive.

1. Apples to oranges... Not a fair comparison in my mind. Definately Jr, hands down.

2. Nope. ;)

3. No doubt, Smoke. After all, Just a few years ago when he started his own team it was said he would never win another race. :p

Back
Top Bottom