How on Earth can you call the Chase "a lottery"?

In a season-long championship we'd be down to 5 guys with a realistic shot at the championship and the drama BS on TV wouldn't start for another 6 weeks. I miss that.
Wildly inaccurate.

Took a look at a dozen recent pre-chase seasons. Most of the time, the points leader had a 200 plus point lead with 5 races remaining and on one occasion the lead changed hands before that season ended. In every other case, the lead was still there at year's end.

There were spectacular championship years in the past. Kulwicki's Cup comes to mind. There just weren't very many of them.

If anything, the current Chase format is the toughest way there has ever been to win a Cup championship. You have to perform every. single. week. or risk elimination. You cannot have a "bad track". There are zero excuses. It's harder than ever and you have to earn it all the way.

Why and how can some of you call it "random" or a "lottery"? It's nothing remotely close to random. There is absolutely nothing random about who wins this championship. Nothing.

Nope at least in my opinion. A bullsheet system that allows champions to miss races. A system that puts you at the mercy of any random out of control drivers screw up.

A season long body of work that is superior to all others can be wiped out and given away to an inferior competitor.
It isnt a lottery but it is most definitely a waterdowned system established entirely for Brians ego and TV.
A true piece of bullsheet.

Wildly inaccurate.

Took a look at a dozen recent pre-chase seasons. Most of the time, the points leader had a 200 plus point lead with 5 races remaining and on one occasion the lead changed hands before that season ended. In every other case, the lead was still there at year's end.

There were spectacular championship years in the past. Kulwicki's Cup comes to mind. There just weren't very many of them.

Obviously true, but I believe all races had to be taken more seriously prior to the chase crap. If you wanted to win it all, you had to pursue it all in totality.

The 'wins matter more' scheme went out the window when teams with multiple wins on the year failed to be in championship contention, while Ryan Newman made it through with a goose egg in the wins column.
Winning an automobile race, at any level, will never go out of style or out the window ... not in my tiny little world.

I simply don't focus on championships or the manner in which they're won as much as many people seem to. Nothing wrong with either ... whatever floats his or her boat.

To me this format is a lottery simply because there are too many things that can go wrong in just a few races that will knock out good teams that have shown over the long term they can do very good. Especially with multi car teams and sat teams tied to them it is fairly easy for them to hold up or for that matter damage a car to keep them out.

Which is why they were so amazing, because they were not only rare, but played out naturally. It was so exciting because it was truly legitimate, no ifs ands or buts.

Imagine if Major League Baseball decided to make the World Series one game instead of a best-of-seven series. Because they wanted to "enhance the drama" so every year was a "Game 7 moment" :rolleyes:

Which is why they were so amazing, because they were not only rare, but played out naturally. It was so exciting because it was truly legitimate, no ifs ands or buts.

Imagine if Major League Baseball decided to make the World Series one game instead of a best-of-seven series. Because they wanted to "enhance the drama" so every year was a "Game 7 moment" :rolleyes:
Yes, they were rare and for many, amazing. Kulwicki's knocked my socks off.

The vast majority of them were predictable to the point of irrelevance. Thank goodness for individual race winners.

Yes, they were rare and for many, amazing. Kulwicki's knocked my socks off.

The vast majority of them were predictable to the point of irrelevance. Thank goodness for individual race winners.
Which is why I had absolutely no problem with the 2004-2013 chases. They tightened things up after Richmond to prevent the annual Fall runaway, but were still pretty fair formats overall. Also, the championship in those formats usually went to one of the top 2 or 3 drivers over the course of the season anyway, Tony Stewart in 2011 is really the only one who came out of nowhere to win a title after a mediocre regular season. I just feel the current chase was an answer to a question that nobody asked.

To me , it's a lottery for one reason . Nobody knows who is going to win it until the final race finishes . Doesn't matter which team is the best , which driver is the best , who spent the most money , who won the most races , who has the best pit crew , nobody knows who the championship will be given to until the last lap at Homestead . It might be a 16th place car or a 5th place car , highly unlikely it will be the leader going into the chase .

I would feel better about it, if drivers weren't eliminated. But if we did that, it would be a mini series. I'm like some others here, I enjoy the individual races more than, the playoffs as a whole.

An NFL team does not play the other 31 teams on the same field every weekend.

Nor does the NFL score teams by points. Its just Ws & Ls. 1s & 0s.

Yeah I don't get when people try to compare the two. With that and other sports you got to have a playoff system, Racing it's stupid.

But just think how awesome football would be with all the teams out there! :beerbang:

If anything, the current Chase format is the toughest way there has ever been to win a Cup championship. You have to perform every. single. week. or risk elimination. You cannot have a "bad track". There are zero excuses. It's harder than ever and you have to earn it all the way.

Why and how can some of you call it "random" or a "lottery"? It's nothing remotely close to random. There is absolutely nothing random about who wins this championship. Nothing.

I'm not biting.

the chase sucks

A season long body of work that is superior to all others can be wiped out and given away to an inferior competitor.

Hasn't happened.

I love the Chase. 10 races. Your best ****. Your best strategy. Best of everything. Chips to the center of the table. Green drops bull**** stops. Love it. Bring it on.

Doesn't anybody think that Harvick's 2014 Championship was amazing? Fastest whole damn year, and he went out and took what was his in the finale. I won't address Kyle's Championship because even if he had gone 36-0, somebody would have a boner over it, and everybody knows it. While not addressing the championship, nobody could ever argue that Kyle was among the top 3 cars during the season--even missing 11 races. Far from the lottery winner.

Jesus, did I just defend the Chase using Harvick? I need a drink.

Hasn't happened.

Besides the inferior part....Kyle last year wasn't a SEASON LONG body of work. No matter how you twist it, you can't say it was SEASON LONG. since he missed 11 races. He played by the rules yes, and is the champ yes...but that shows why the chase is BS. Hell, I like Tony and if he wins it this year I'll say the same thing. You just got Kyle Fan Blinders on and that's why you don't care.

Nope at least in my opinion. A bullsheet system that allows champions to miss races. A system that puts you at the mercy of any random out of control drivers screw up.

It isnt a lottery but it is most definitely a waterdowned system established entirely for Brians ego and TV.
A true piece of bullsheet.

Thank you. I'm not sure what else to say to those who are still confused about why the current system is considered random compared to a traditional auto racing points format. It's self evident.

You guys really crack me up.......I mean the people who used to cry on and on about the boring points racing are now b#tching about the Chase.
Most of you will NEVER be happy....of that I am quite sure.
NASCAR fans are never happy

It's not near the ****show of March Madness when it comes to pure luck. One hot shooting day or overzealous official can derail a teams season to some mid major

I actually like how it is now, feels more like other sports

LOL

It's funny how everyone HATES when our sport gets compared to stick n ball sports or even the slightest mention of them in conversation, but as soon as it fits their narrative - let the comparisons fly!!
Because beating one opponent for 18 weeks straight and beating 39 opponents for 35 weeks straight are totally the same thing, right? ;)

I want to see what happens when a non-race winner takes the Championship. :)
If the championship is determined by ten races why hold 36? Just hold the 10, crown someone and go home.

^ Perhaps this championship is over-emphasized. Wins matter more to me.
With this 100%.
If Jr. Could come back next season for 1 more safe healthy year and i had the choice of him winning 2 races and the title or getting 6 wins and the being events like the Southern 500, World 600 and another Daytona 500 I'd take the 6 wins anydau

Wins 35 races in a row, finishes 2nd at Homestead and loses the championship. (Hardly possible, but you get the point)

You're right, it's not a lottery, they haven't created a name for this level of foolishness yet.

Nailed it.

The fact that the above scenario is even theoretically possible is the only evidence you need to show how phony this current format is.

I understand the reasoning for the Chase and eventually accepted it, but the 2014+ format is weak and will never be a good way to crown a truly deserving champion. Just my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom