How on Earth can you call the Chase "a lottery"?

The four times a year when people will start calling for "them to knock the banking down at Daytona and Talladega" like that's actually goin to happen. Ya don't hear me calling for them to knock down yhe 1.5 milers that are like watching paint dry most races.
Oh, I call for it regularly. I'm pointing out what makes the plates necessary, but I certainly don't ever expect it to happen. It's easier for ISC via NASCAR to inflict plates on the individual teams than to spend their own money on the permanent solution.

Have you found very many/any fans that are as enthralled with Nascar in it's current form as you are. No fudging please.
About a quarter of the NASCAR 'fans' I know are more interested in wrecks than racing, or more interested in an excuse to get drunk than in either wrecks or racing. (I 'd guess the percentage is higher at Talladega.) But that was the case before the Chase, too. I don't attend other sports events, so I don't know if that's unique to racing.

Quit the snarky crap, and let's address your point....(snipped) Kyle's championship was different than Harvick's obviously, but the fact remains the same.....when it was all on the line, he delivered. That is what a champion is to me. Those butthurt over the 11 race "vacation" will always bitch about it, but have no reason other than, "It's not right," to be pissed. Kyle's comeback after his wreck is one of those legendary sports stories. Sad part is that there are some fans who want to rip it apart. How the hell do we share this sport with those who have not experienced it when we cannot appreciate those special performances ourselves? NASCAR fans are passionate, but pretty much all fanboys (some in the closet) who present "objective" opinions when really its the passion for their drivers talking. Who the hell really sits back and objectively assess an athletic contest? What would be the point in that? I respect the passion, and laugh at the "unbiased" analysis. Here's to hoping that Junior makes it back BTW.

Wow, I am not butthurt about Kyle getting a vacation, that was the last thing I would call it, and the comeback was incredible , definitely one of best performances of all time. But I am able to compartmentalize and be objective, at least I think I can. And I dont believe any driver should be able to miss 11 races for any reason . I dont care who the driver is, or the context.

I cannot speak for others , but I do not believe I am only one who feels that way.
There are Kyle haters for sure, and haters will surely hate. But if does not mean that all dissenters are Kyle haters.

... I cannot speak for others , but I do not believe I am only one who feels that way.
There are Kyle haters for sure, and haters will surely hate. But if does not mean that all dissenters are Kyle haters.
You're not the only one, and I'm not a Kyle or Tony hater. I kinda like Kyle and outright love to watch Tony, but nobody missing 25% of the season should be eligible for the championship.

Being 30th in points is too low. Jack that up to 25th or even 20th, and set a minimum number of races at 30 or 32.

You're not the only one, and I'm not a Kyle or Tony hater. I kinda like Kyle and outright love to watch Tony, but nobody missing 25% of the season should be eligible for the championship.

Being 30th in points is too low. Jack that up to 25th or even 20th, and set a minimum number of races at 30 or 32.

I'm happy for Buescher and FRM team making the Chase, but it should be top 25 in points. Love Tony, but we wouldn't have seen some of those dumb antics with the way he raced the past few weeks either.

Oh, I call for it regularly. I'm pointing out what makes the plates necessary, but I certainly don't ever expect it to happen. It's easier for ISC via NASCAR to inflict plates on the individual teams than to spend their own money on the permanent solution.
I wouldn't see it as a solution. It'd be the ruining of those tracks. I want those 2 tracks to be wide open all the way around. I want the big pack. It makes them unique. It makes them exciting. Take that away and you m8ghy as well add another couple of Kansas or Chicagoland tracks in their place.

I wouldn't see it as a solution. It'd be the ruining of those tracks. I want those 2 tracks to be wide open all the way around. I want the big pack. It makes them unique. It makes them exciting. Take that away and you m8ghy as well add another couple of Kansas or Chicagoland tracks in their place.
But you don't need that tract in the chase and that is the argument. You now have the back markers that could never get into the top 10 wrecking the field.

Why not have it in the chase? Restrictor plate racing is one form of racing that take place during the season. There should be a road course in it too. The final 10 should have at least 1 of each:
Plate race
Short track
Intermediate oval (1.5 miler)
Road course
And a back marker can wreck someone any week. And it's NOT only back markers that cause the big one. Plenty of them have been caused by top drivers.

Oh look, personal attacks from the person who decries them the most.

Not a personal attack....just joking around. Tuck your sensitive side back in.

I want they running wide open too. I don't consider running with restrictor plates as 'wide open'. If they were running truly wide open, they wouldn't be jammed up in a big pack. Your 'exciting' is my 'counting down to the multi-car wreck.

I want they running wide open too. I don't consider running with restrictor plates as 'wide open'. If they were running truly wide open, they wouldn't be jammed up in a big pack. Your 'exciting' is my 'counting down to the multi-car wreck.
Just for the record I don't "hope" for the big one when I watch the plates races. I don't think you were implying I did by the way. Just as my first real discussion on this forum is based around plate racing I don't want to come across as one if "those fans"

My favorite part is the single file lap-logging thing.

Sit ya right on the edge of the couch.

About a quarter of the NASCAR 'fans' I know are more interested in wrecks than racing, or more interested in an excuse to get drunk than in either wrecks or racing. (I 'd guess the percentage is higher at Talladega.) But that was the case before the Chase, too. I don't attend other sports events, so I don't know if that's unique to racing.

I think there are drunks at all sporting events but in my experience Nascar has a higher concentration in the actual seating area and I suspect being able to haul a case of beer in for a 4 hour race may have a little something to do with it.

I am sure the guy that I posed the question to is a one off type of fan as even in the glory years I never knew anyone that hyped up.

It is not a lottery - you control your own fate. Win races and you shouldn't have anything to worry about until you arrive at Homestead where is it just as important to be lucky as you are good.

Luck is a tremendous factor as it always is and unfortunate things can always happen. Previous championship formats were just as unforgiving if points were close at the end of the year - sure there were no eliminations but a very poor finish at the wrong time was practically an elimination. At least this format allows for redemption in some way.

I don't have an issue with the Chase. I have an issue with the lack of a few byes for say: regular season point leader, wins leader, pole leader after 26 races.
The Final Four should be 3 races just like every other round as well.

Unfortunately, Brian France has no interest in Game 5 or Game 6 moments.

That's a nice way to put it.

Really though, I'm OK with an elimination style format like other sports. But there's no real "regular season" incentive like other sports or like you said, Game 4-6.

That's a nice way to put it.

Really though, I'm OK with an elimination style format like other sports. But there's no real "regular season" incentive like other sports or like you said, Game 4-6.
I've always thought if they're gonna do this, let the drivers have their bonus points for wins at the start of rounds 2 and 3 as well. The way it currently is, regular season wins mean absolutely nothing after Dover.

I've always thought if they're gonna do this, let the drivers have their bonus points for wins at the start of rounds 2 and 3 as well. The way it currently is, regular season wins mean absolutely nothing after Dover.

-Byes into Round of 12 for Regular Season Point Leader, Wins Leader, Pole Leader (so 1-3 byes could be given out, tiebreakers based on points)
-Regular Season ends after Race 24 (right now is Michigan),
-Round of 16: Darlington, Richmond, Chicago
-Round of 12: New Hampshire, Dover, Charlotte
-Round of 8: Kansas, Talladega, Martinsville
-Championship Four: Texas, Phoenix, Homestead

I'd say the schedule could be fixed so a Road Course is in the Round of 16 and Auto Club instead of Kansas in the Round of 8. NASCAR doesn't want to work on balancing their playoff schedule for both Xfinity and Cup because it's a logistical nightmare for ISC/SMI.

-Byes into Round of 12 for Regular Season Point Leader, Wins Leader, Pole Leader (so 1-3 byes could be given out, tiebreakers based on points)
-Regular Season ends after Race 24 (right now is Michigan),
-Round of 16: Darlington, Richmond, Chicago
-Round of 12: New Hampshire, Dover, Charlotte
-Round of 8: Kansas, Talladega, Martinsville
-Championship Four: Texas, Phoenix, Homestead

I'd say the schedule could be fixed so a Road Course is in the Round of 16 and Auto Club instead of Kansas in the Round of 8. NASCAR doesn't want to work on balancing their playoff schedule for both Xfinity and Cup because it's a logistical nightmare for ISC/SMI.
Sounds better than what they're doing.

Back
Top Bottom