I am Dale Earnhardt documentary

Some favorite Dale memories of mine were from the Winston All star races.
In the 1987 Bill Elliott should have won it. Dale just simply took it from him. It was my favorite Dale Badass moment.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1987_NASCAR_Winston_Cup_Series

For the 1990 Winston, I got a company perk. A visit to the Tide shop of Darrell Waltrip. A Saturday night dinner at the speedway club and a sunday morning pit pass. Plus race tickets.

Me and my freind wore our black Earnhardt caps like good rednecks, while getting the red carpet treatment from DWs crowd. And Dale won the the thing again.

In 1992 it was the first Winston night race. Davey Allison was the class of the feild and won a thriller. The one that knocked him out. They took him to the hospital in helicopter and his crashed car to victory lane.
The only time we actually parked on the Charlotte speedway grounds. It sucked we couldnt find our car and the Earnhardt haters was calling us out in our colors routinely as they drove by us.

1993 Dale won it again. This time with a disputed restart against Mark Martin who had been faster most of the race.
The lady sitting beside me was a big Ford fan. She originally started rooting for Elliott, then started pulling for her next best hope to beat Dale, Mark Martin.

It was always great to sit near the Dale haters. She was bewildered, and very dissapointed with the result. She just kept muttering about it just being wrong. I loved it but the woman was old enough to be my mother. I just asked her could we still be friends. No heart to argue with her.

2000 was fun, it Dales last winston. Junior won it as a rookie.

Some favorite Dale memories of mine were from the Winston All star races.
In the 1987 Bill Elliott should have won it. Dale just simply took it from him. It was my favorite Dale Badass moment.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1987_NASCAR_Winston_Cup_Series

For the 1990 Winston, I got a company perk. A visit to the Tide shop of Darrell Waltrip. A Saturday night dinner at the speedway club and a sunday morning pit pass. Plus race tickets.

Me and my freind wore our black Earnhardt caps like good rednecks, while getting the red carpet treatment from DWs crowd. And Dale won the the thing again.

In 1992 it was the first Winston night race. Davey Allison was the class of the feild and won a thriller. The one that knocked him out. They took him to the hospital in helicopter and his crashed car to victory lane.
The only time we actually parked on the Charlotte speedway grounds. It sucked we couldnt find our car and the Earnhardt haters was calling us out in our colors routinely as they drove by us.

1993 Dale won it again. This time with a disputed restart against Mark Martin who had been faster most of the race.
The lady sitting beside me was a big Ford fan. She originally started rooting for Elliott, then started pulling for her next best hope to beat Dale, Mark Martin.

It was always great to sit near the Dale haters. She was bewildered, and very dissapointed with the result. She just kept muttering about it just being wrong. I loved it but the woman was old enough to be my mother. I just asked her could we still be friends. No heart to argue with her.

2000 was fun, it Dales last winston. Junior won it as a rookie.

I like to imagine you and dude-man blaring gimme back my bullets while sitting in post-race traffic with no ****s to give after all of those events. +1.

90's NASCAR fans were ruthless. Didn't matter who the driver was.

B_JYNGsU4AAXStj.jpg:large

Cool finish to this IROC race @ Michigan. Fun to see them together again in the post-race interviews.

One of my most vivid adolescent memories was sitting on my couch watching the Daytona 500 and seeing my childhood idol die before my very eyes. I grew up watching Dale Earnhardt, I owned a ton of #3 merchandise and I watched just to see Dale race. I didn't even take to Harvick because I saw him as racing Dale's car and I just wanted Dale Earnhardt back.

There is no athlete that has or ever will mean as much to me as Dale Earnhardt. There's nothing in sports fandom that compares to being a 12 year old walking into the living room to hear that your hero has died and you watched it happen.

I thought it was a pretty good documentary. I had hoped to find out more about Earnhardt's rivalry with Jeff Bodine. I thought Kelly had some pretty good insight. And I didn't realize Gordon grew that mustache to be like Dale.

Remember those "young fans" you said NASCAR should try to bring in. They need to know about Earnhardt.

I think young fans have seen enough about someone they've never actually watched race before on FOX Sports 1 and NBCSN.

NASCAR STILL revolves around the legacy of Dale Earnhardt. We have superstars now such as Kevin Harvick, Jimmie Johnson and Jeff Gordon and we have drivers that are up and coming like Chase Elliott, Erik Jones and Kyle Larson. It's time to let it go and move on. Dale Earnhardt's dead and documentaries every year aren't going to bring him back.

I think young fans have seen enough about someone they've never actually watched race before on FOX Sports 1 and NBCSN.

NASCAR STILL revolves around the legacy of Dale Earnhardt. We have superstars now such as Kevin Harvick, Jimmie Johnson and Jeff Gordon and we have drivers that are up and coming like Chase Elliott, Erik Jones and Kyle Larson. It's time to let it go and move on. Dale Earnhardt's dead and documentaries every year aren't going to bring him back.
Nice troll post @AndyMarquisLive but your whole Earnhardt shtick got stale years ago but carry on if it pleases you.

so 20 years from now should the NFL just forget about Tom Brady? There is nothing wrong with remembering the greats. Without Earnhardt NASCAR wouldn't be half as big as it is.

The NFL has lots of former great quarterbacks. They talk about them on occasion and NFL Network does documentaries about the sports legends and about other athletes who have stories to tell. Difference is, the NFL talks about a bunch of them, not just one player.

Tom Brady is one of the greatest of all time and he gets respect for that from every aspect of the sport. Jeff Gordon and Jimmie Johnson don't get that same respect. Because the sport still revolves around Dale Earnhardt.

Like we've said time and again Andrew. If you don't like the idea then don't watch it. But, and It's a big But, If people stopped watching them then they wouldn't be profitable and they would stop making them. As long as people are still interested they will continue to make them.

Well, it's true...... I wasn't even a fan but one has to be pretty dumb about the sport to think Earnhardt wasn't the real King of NASCAR.

I think Jeff Gordon did more than Dale Earnhardt to make NASCAR mainstream and make it what it is today. And, in the Perfect Storm show on FS1, the CBS execs said that Darrell Waltrip was actually the driver that carried a lot of weight in the early TV years in terms of marketing the sport to the media because he was the only driver in NASCAR who could give an interview.

The NFL has lots of former great quarterbacks. They talk about them on occasion and NFL Network does documentaries about the sports legends and about other athletes who have stories to tell. Difference is, the NFL talks about a bunch of them, not just one player.

Tom Brady is one of the greatest of all time and he gets respect for that from every aspect of the sport. Jeff Gordon and Jimmie Johnson don't get that same respect. Because the sport still revolves around Dale Earnhardt.

I always laugh when someone say that Jimmie Johnson isn't a true racer, or he isn't a wheelman. The dude, got screwed over by NASCAR at Atlanta, started in the back, worked his way up to the front and won the ******* race! If that doesn't tell you that Jimmie Johnson has talent, then man, you must be blind as a ****** bat.

Dale was definitely in the right place at the right time in his climb up the NAZKAR ladder. Dude hit a home run and never even stood at home plate. I can honestly say I was never a F-1, Indy car type fan, just to damn sanitary and clean for my liking. Nothing like a get down and dirty Stock Car Race, you run what you brung and go for it. Dale was everything even the city boys wanted to be, he was in essence the new Tom Sawyer, Huck fin all rolled into one and folks loved to hate him.

He certainly was one of the greats but there can never be just one, too many put in a ton of work to grow racing into what it has become today. NAZKAR, like other sports just seem to keep wanting to monkey with things to "make it better" when all they do is water it down and make the mess grow bigger. Old Man E'hardt was the face of NAZKAR and he earned it, make no mistake about that.

I must admit, I forgot about this program and didn't get to view it, hopefully I'll catch a rerun but it sounds like it has received some very good reviews just on this board alone.

I thought I was fantastic. Best one I have seen. Usually anything SPIKE TV does is trash to me. Also, we don't need a Dale Earnhardt documentary every year though. This one was great, let's stop for awhile.

I never cared for Earnhardt's driving style when he was alive but I sure as hell respect him and everything he did for the sport. And I bet once Gordon retires we will see a number of documentaries on him. Other drivers have been given there own documentaries and tv shows. Remember Nascar 360? It was pulled quickly because nobody wanted to see Kevin Harvick slinging dog crap into his neighbors yards. There were also biographies either FX or ESPN showed in the early 2000's for many drivers. I remember ones on Dale Jarrett, Rusty Wallace, Michael Waltrip, Darrell Waltrip and even Matt Kenseth after he won the championship. None of those shows pulled in people like Earnhardt stories have. Mostly in part that his fans still are die hards today as they were 14 years ago. I can actually see Jeff Gordon getting a number of documentaries after he retires because he has that big of a fan following, but as long as there are enough people to warrant another Earnhardt documentary they will continue to make them.

I used "other" means to se DL it nudge nudge wink wink

Just tried it again. This time on my phone. It's still there for me. Not sure why you're getting errors.

I think Jeff Gordon did more than Dale Earnhardt to make NASCAR mainstream and make it what it is today. And, in the Perfect Storm show on FS1, the CBS execs said that Darrell Waltrip was actually the driver that carried a lot of weight in the early TV years in terms of marketing the sport to the media because he was the only driver in NASCAR who could give an interview.

Seems like old times people crying about Dale.

biggest name ever in Nascar, he's never going fade away. but pretty much it's the same stuff. i met him quite a few times and i sure one meeting he remembered for a long time.

biggest name ever in Nascar, he's never going fade away. but pretty much it's the same stuff. i met him quite a few times and i sure one meeting he remembered for a long time.

Story time?

Story time?
as i stated before i work in construction, and a big Rusty fan always wearing a Rusty t'shirt and hat. so one day the boss man told my dad and i to go to Cannon Mills in Kannapolis and build some ceilings, to report to the Maintance shop as to the job. anyway we show up and i'm wearing my Wallace stuff and when meeting the maintance guys, they said i couldn't wear Rusty swag that this was Earnhardt country. i told them tuff, so they said i would have to explain it to Earnhardt himself he was there visiting, all of a sudden someone was coming and they started well here he comes, turns out it was his brother and they looked real close, but i knew it wasn't Sr. they were just messing with me, his brother said he actually liked Rusty more than anyone other than Dale, anyway was there for a few months and got to know the shop guys well enough that we exchanged banter back and forth, especially Dale's bother Danny. it was the last couple of weeks to go on the job, and i was up on top of scaffold and trying to hurry, when i seen someone outta corner of my, i could see a blue demin shirt and had a had on, i'm thinking here's Danny messing with me while i'm busy, so without looking down, i just told him look i don't have time for your sh!t right now especially about a no driving wreck everybody 2nd rate Earnhardt. without saying anything he just turned and began walking away, and then from off the side 3 men walking towards me where laughing real hard and i looked down and saw Danny among them, and i realized that wasn't him who i scuffed at, turns out it was Dale himself. got to sit around the shop for a while and talk to Dale that day. and 5 or 6 or so years after that was at his dealership where he was doing an autograph session and i asked if he remembered and he said yes it was the only time he didn't know what to say.

as i stated before i work in construction, and a big Rusty fan always wearing a Rusty t'shirt and hat. so one day the boss man told my dad and i to go to Cannon Mills in Kannapolis and build some ceilings, to report to the Maintance shop as to the job. anyway we show up and i'm wearing my Wallace stuff and when meeting the maintance guys, they said i couldn't wear Rusty swag that this was Earnhardt country. i told them tuff, so they said i would have to explain it to Earnhardt himself he was there visiting, all of a sudden someone was coming and they started well here he comes, turns out it was his brother and they looked real close, but i knew it wasn't Sr. they were just messing with me, his brother said he actually liked Rusty more than anyone other than Dale, anyway was there for a few months and got to know the shop guys well enough that we exchanged banter back and forth, especially Dale's bother Danny. it was the last couple of weeks to go on the job, and i was up on top of scaffold and trying to hurry, when i seen someone outta corner of my, i could see a blue demin shirt and had a had on, i'm thinking here's Danny messing with me while i'm busy, so without looking down, i just told him look i don't have time for your sh!t right now especially about a no driving wreck everybody 2nd rate Earnhardt. without saying anything he just turned and began walking away, and then from off the side 3 men walking towards me where laughing real hard and i looked down and saw Danny among them, and i realized that wasn't him who i scuffed at, turns out it was Dale himself. got to sit around the shop for a while and talk to Dale that day. and 5 or 6 or so years after that was at his dealership where he was doing an autograph session and i asked if he remembered and he said yes it was the only time he was didn't know what to say.

Thanks so much for sharing. You. Met. A. Legend.

Thanks so much for sharing. You. Met. A. Legend.
working in Charlotte, at the speedway and quite a few shops i met a lot of Nascar drivers. but yes he was and still is tops.

Back
Top Bottom