Jeff Gordon to retire after 2015 season

k88Rzcq.jpg

No. 5 driver reflects on the day he found out about Jeff Gordon's retirement

Missed call: Jeff Gordon

That was the message that showed up on Kasey Kahne's phone on Jan. 22. Tied up in a sponsor meeting and unable to converse with his Hendrick Motorsports teammate, Kahne wondered why Gordon was calling him. He decided he would listen to the message later. After all, it was just an ordinary Thursday morning during the offseason.

Or so he thought.

http://www.nascar.com/en_us/news-me...-phone-call-retirement-sprint-cup-series.html

Gordon has been very lucky about his back problems. It is a wonder how his bad back hasn't taken him out even once.

Just watching ESPN and they talked about Tiger Woods and all his back issues and how many times he has had to withdraw from tournaments after tournaments because of it.

Just watching ESPN and they talked about Tiger Woods and all his back issues and how many times he has had to withdraw from tournaments after tournaments because of it.

All of those ho's just wore Tiger down.

Gordon has been very lucky about his back problems. It is a wonder how his bad back hasn't taken him out even once.

Gordon isnt a bitch :idunno:

After watching these commercials and these 2 practices, I'm gonna ****** cry like a bitch after homestead. Ugh.

Have you seen all the women he had to service, that would break any mans back. :eek2:

After watching these commercials and these 2 practices, I'm gonna ******* cry like a bitch after homestead. Ugh.
I feel sad enough just seeing every FOX Daytona 500 commercial centered exclusively on him.

I feel sad enough just seeing every FOX Daytona 500 commercial centered exclusively on him.
at least you don't have Mark Martin declaring he's also retiring to which he didn't, on your farewell season run. as a Rusty Wallace fan i will always hold that against Mark.

at least you don't have Mark Martin declaring he's also retiring to which he didn't, on your farewell season run. as a Rusty Wallace fan i will always hold that against Mark.
And Rusty is STILL running his mouth a hundred miles an hour and not making any sense. But....... that's always been a Wallace trait.

Why woud you hold that against Martin if I may ask?

I know it's a kind of crappy thing to do cause it's sneaky as hell but it's hard to retire from a sport that doesn't really push you to retire.

Most other sports you have a career span of about 10-15 years and that's it. Here you can drive till you're 80. Crazy.

i didn't mean it as a real bad thing. i was huge Wallace fan and was looking forward to his "Last Call" tour, and fan fare around it. and along come Martin who says i retiring also. both had great careers to be proud of, he just took the limelight off my driver. even Rusty said he would've delayed it another year had he known about Mark, was planning to have more fun with it.

@MartySmithESPN

JG on broadcast booth in future: I’m interested in it. I talked to NBC and FOX about some of that.

I know it's a kind of crappy thing to do cause it's sneaky as hell but it's hard to retire from a sport that doesn't really push you to retire.

Most other sports you have a career span of about 10-15 years and that's it. Here you can drive till you're 80. Crazy.

In sports your level of talent dictates how long you can participate as if Tom Brady sucks in his first 2 games of next season he goes to the bench period. In Nascar being good doesn't hurt but attracting sponsorship dollars is paramount. Look at all the past champions who stuck around 5-10 years past their expiration date. Michael Waltrip, Kenny Schrader and Kenny Wallace had long Nascar careers but were not proficient. Of course then there are current drivers like Patrick and Menard that are only in Cup because a sponsor likes them.

Back
Top Bottom