Jeff Gordon to retire after 2015 season

at least you don't have Mark Martin declaring he's also retiring to which he didn't, on your farewell season run. as a Rusty Wallace fan i will always hold that against Mark.
I don't because Mark was made certain promises for after his retirement. Then Jack came calling again and begged him for one more season and got it. Then Jack reneged on his promises to Mark. That's when Mark went to chevy and darn near won a championship.

I was never a Roush/Ford fan but admired Mark.

Count me as one fan who really dislikes athletes/racers declaring an upcoming season to be their last.

I am a HUGE Gordon fan but the classy way to go out is announcing after your last race, not with a whole season left.

Even worse is the Michael Jordon method of multiple retirements.

tumblr_m2mzjqMQhf1r3nk7bo1_400.gif

Count me as one fan who really dislikes athletes/racers declaring an upcoming season to be their last.

I am a HUGE Gordon fan but the classy way to go out is announcing after your last race, not with a whole season left.

I definitely don't agree with that. How would I and his other fans celebrate his last season with him. I think that It was a smart move.

I don't because Mark was made certain promises for after his retirement. Then Jack came calling again and begged him for one more season and got it. Then Jack reneged on his promises to Mark. That's when Mark went to chevy and darn near won a championship.

I was never a Roush/Ford fan but admired Mark.
Thank you Pete........ I appreciate that........

They would be jumping out of windows if he did that

No way they do that or any other high profile driver, he is going to make a ton of money for himself and his sponsors, plus bringing a lot of outside attention to the fact he is in his last season, doing it this way is best for all concerned.

No way they do that or any other high profile driver, he is going to make a ton of money for himself and his sponsors, plus bringing a lot of outside attention to the fact he is in his last season, doing it this way is best for all concerned.
not to mention all the swag he has collected so far, he will need to rent a warehouse to put it all in.

I definitely don't agree with that. How would I and his other fans celebrate his last season with him. I think that It was a smart move.

Some people dont think before they post.

It's like politics, you dont retire by not letting anyone know. Imagine if he ran the season and said oh and by the way I'm retiring, screw my other commitments. I'm JEFF ****** GORDON! :rolleyes:

Some people dont think before they post.

It's like politics, you dont retire by not letting anyone know. Imagine if he ran the season and said oh and by the way I'm retiring, screw my other commitments. I'm JEFF ******* GORDON! :rolleyes:
Ya thunk thet weuns wood be peassed?

I know there are folks jumping on you for your post........ I agree with you 100 percent.... this farewell tour is all for the money...... Mark done one........... then didn't retire... Rusty done one...... he did retire..... These guys have enough money they don't need anymore..... It's all a 'stroke my ego' deal....... I think Harry Gant was one of my favorite drivers of all time...... low key...... just raced and got the job done...... when he called it quits....... he didn't have a big year long farewell party...... he walked away..... I respect him for that....... I know a lot of folks will say..... ''well that ain't the same....... Jeff Gordon was a multi championship driver and set records and all that''...... as far as I am concerned...... he still put his pants on the same way that Harry did....... One leg at a time........

Sorry, Johali you're going to have to run that by me one more time. My decriptor is broken, broken I tell ya. :p
Okay, here ya go. Do you think maybe the JG fans would be angry if he didn't tell anyone until after Homestead this year?

I know there are folks jumping on you for your post........ I agree with you 100 percent.... this farewell tour is all for the money...... Mark done one........... then didn't retire... Rusty done one...... he did retire..... These guys have enough money they don't need anymore..... It's all a 'stroke my ego' deal....... I think Harry Gant was one of my favorite drivers of all time...... low key...... just raced and got the job done...... when he called it quits....... he didn't have a big year long farewell party...... he walked away..... I respect him for that....... I know a lot of folks will say..... ''well that ain't the same....... Jeff Gordon was a multi championship driver and set records and all that''...... as far as I am concerned...... he still put his pants on the same way that Harry did....... One leg at a time........
You have your opinion and I have mine. My opinion is that he is doing it for his team, sponsors, the tracks, and probably most of all his fans.

Okay, here ya go. Do you think maybe the JG fans would be angry if he didn't tell anyone until after Homestead this year?

I know I would be for sure.

I need to get notice for stuff like this. Dont like surprises at all.

I need my time of grief. lol

But Gordon did say he didn't want any farewell tour. It's not his fault the tracks are doing stuff for him.

You have your opinion and I have mine. My opinion is that he is doing it for his team, sponsors, the tracks, and probably most of all his fans.
I knew I would piss off a lot of folks by posting that...... but...... I've never been one to mince words or thoughts...... LOL......

All's good....... ;)

I know I would be for sure.

I need to get notice for stuff like this. Dont like surprises at all.

I need my time of grief. lol

But Gordon did say he didn't want any farewell tour. It's not his fault the tracks are doing stuff for him.
That's true.

I knew I would piss off a lot of folks by posting that...... but...... I've never been one to mince words or thoughts...... LOL......

All's good....... ;)
You didn't piss me off. We just have differing opinions.

How could one who wants to keep his retirement under wraps work? Between new sponsors that might want to jump onboard with the team because of that said driver and Rick trying to persuade the new sponsor to go with the new driver will replace him . . . ."Shhhhh, it's a secret!" it would come out in the wash.

Naw, Jeff's doing it the right way, where many fans get frustrated with a driver that's gonna retire I think is they say they are, then change their mind and don't leave or come back. Fans also got sick of DW who had so many champion provisionals that he could qualify every week and so he dragged his racing talents down in the dirt.

I also think that whatever gifts he gets from tracks, which they want to show Jeff their gratitude for the draw of his fans that came to watch him race and win. Draw the fans in = mula for the tracks.

What he does with these gifts is none of our business but he'll take care of 'em, IMO.

Gant's last year was 1994. Did you happen to attend any races that year?

If so you must have missed all the Harry Gant Farewell Tour merchandise for sale at his souvenir haulers. At the spring Richmond race that year, I bought two Gant farewell tour dicast cars in the special display box, Limited edition 1 of 10,000.

I had to laugh later that year at the fall Richmond race, when I saw they were still selling those "limited edition" farewell tour diecast cars. Which made me think they must have started counting the 10,000 limited edition after the first 500,000 were made.

But you're right in that it's a money thing. imo a driver of note would be a fool to walk away from all the money that could be made from a "final season" by not announcing their retirement..
Handsome Harry was no fool. He announced his retirement and had lots of "farewell tour" merchandise for sale to all his many fans his final season, and made lots and lots of money because of it... and I don't blame him.

Gant's last year was 1994. Did you happen to attend any races that year?

If so you must have missed all the Harry Gant Farewell Tour merchandise for sale at his souvenir haulers. At the spring Richmond race that year, I bought two Gant farewell tour dicast cars in the special display box, Limited edition 1 of 10,000.

I had to laugh later that year at the fall Richmond race, when I saw they were still selling those "limited edition" farewell tour diecast cars. Which made me think they must have started counting the 10,000 limited edition after the first 500,000 were made.

But you're right in that it's a money thing. imo a driver of note would be a fool to walk away from all the money that could be made from a "final season" by not announcing their retirement..
Handsome Harry was no fool. He announced his retirement and had lots of "farewell tour" merchandise for sale to all his many fans his final season, and made lots and lots of money because of it... and I don't blame him.
I don't recall if I attended any races in '94 or not....... I know I did in '93 ...... but..... at any rate....... I probably wouldn't have seen Harry's merchandise trailer anyway...... I was never one to hit the souvenir haulers. Souvenirs and autographs never really interested me...... Of all the races I have been to..... I probably can count on 1 hand how many purchases I have made.

I don't recall if I attended any races in '94 or not....... I know I did in '93 ...... but..... at any rate....... I probably wouldn't have seen Harry's merchandise trailer anyway...... I was never one to hit the souvenir haulers. Souvenirs and autographs never really interested me...... Of all the races I have been to..... I probably can count on 1 hand how many purchases I have made.

Whether you went by his hauler or not wasn't the point.

What mrreed is challenging is your claim that Harry Gant was low key about his retirement when in fact, and apparently he had his own farewell tour. Invalidating your claim that he went away super quietly.

Whether you went by his hauler or not wasn't the point.

What mrreed is challenging is your claim that Harry Gant was low key about his retirement when in fact, and apparently he had his own farewell tour. Invalidating your claim that he went away super quietly.
Okay....... then I am wrong in every way..... I admit it then.....

WTF???????????

This ain't the first time I have been wrong in my life........ and it sure as hell won't be the last......

WTF???????????

This ain't the first time I have been wrong in my life........ and it sure as hell won't be the last......
oh my, you lost the die cast souvenir claim thread. Here's one endorsed by Jeffy...consolation prize.:biggrin:

image028.jpg

WTF???????????

Why are you getting so defensive guy...................................................?

Back
Top Bottom