Jeff Gordon to retire after 2015 season

I've never really been a Gordon fan, but I hate to see him quit.

Came out of team workouts, read the FoxSports page & the last thing I remember is "CLEAR"! :eek:

Thank you for the memories Jeff!

24ever!

Where were you when Gordon announced his full time retirement?
Much props to you. You a great fan. Hope Gordon can win his last one.

509 copy.jpg

GordonWins.jpg

Wouldnt it be something if his final win came at Charlotte or Atlanta?

This is not just a driver retiring we are talking about. A chapter of NASCAR's history will be closed this November. But I'm keeping a good mood by reminding myself of this: with every end comes a new beginning. And in this case, we've already seen some glimpses of the new beginning, and boy, is it fabulous.

Godspeed, Jeff Gordon, and thanks for the memories.

This is exactly what I'm afraid of. When he comes into Sprint Cup, just I know people have HIGH expectations and he's fantastic. I just hope people will be patient with Chase and not place their hopes so high, but after watching Kyle Larson and even Austin Dillon with his consistency. I can understand why the bar has been raised.

He doesn't need to be Gordon or Johnson, Chase needs to be Chase continuing to work hard and progress as a driver.
He has given no indication of potential flopping. He's seen great success in everything he's done since an extremely young age. He'll be on the best team with the best resources money can buy. Obviously I'm not expecting him to come in and dominate, but I suspect he will be a legend when his career is finished.

Question for the Gordon fans: after this season, do you think you will most likely 1) stop watching/caring/rooting, or 2) automatically start rooting for Chase (assuming he's in the seat) or 3) start rooting for a different driver completely?

I'm asking because Jeff pretty clearly has the 2nd largest fan base of any driver. It will be interesting to see how many Gordon fans will be passionately rooting for Jeff this one last season...but at the same time, whether consciously or subconsciously, kind of be "shopping/scouting" for a replacement driver as well. Does Chase just automatically take the job?

Question for the Gordon fans: after this season, do you think you will most likely 1) stop watching/caring/rooting, or 2) automatically start rooting for Chase (assuming he's in the seat) or 3) start rooting for a different driver completely?

I'm asking because Jeff pretty clearly has the 2nd largest fan base of any driver. It will be interesting to see how many Gordon fans will be passionately rooting for Jeff this one last season...but at the same time, whether consciously or subconsciously, kind of be "shopping/scouting" for a replacement driver as well. Does Chase just automatically take the job?
Ill be scouting for a driver. Right now I am a fan of Larson but I wanna wait a 2 seasons or 3 to really dive into a new driver to see how Larson, Elliott, Blaney, Wallace, the Dillons etc... mature into Cup.

Good for Jeff. He was the anti-E'hardt and kept the sport lively when he was a pup. Folks latched onto him to overthrow the big bad E'hardt and at least we could understand him when he spoke. I was never a true fan of his although he could drive the hell out of a car, good guy and so was Old man E'hardt but damn they made it a fun ride.

I've been a fan of Gordon since his Ford/Busch days. When he came up to Cup he had a better than average car that most rookies got at that time but he has proven that the driver does make a difference. I remember his first race in the 500, he just stayed behind Earnhardt as much as he could and didn't try anything stupid. During the time of his dominance even I was getting tired of his winning all the time, I think I heard some boos during that time. I think he moved the sport toward the driver/spokesman model we have to day (good for sponsors but not for drivers who'd rather just drive). I've cheered for Jeff no matter if it was a good, bad, or ugly run. As a fan I'm proud of his accomplishments.

I hope he runs the Rainbow Warrior colors sometime this year.

Wow....the entire thing has me in a bit of shock. It is crazy how something sports related can impact you. I am 30 years old and have been a Gordon fan for as long as I have been a NASCAR fan...I don't "know any other way."

I certainly respect him going out at the top of his game. Last year he had one of the best runs of any driver. Here is to hoping this year is a successful one as well. Looks like I will DEFINITELY get out to a race or two this year!

I've been a fan of Gordon since his Ford/Busch days. When he came up to Cup he had a better than average car that most rookies got at that time but he has proven that the driver does make a difference. I remember his first race in the 500, he just stayed behind Earnhardt as much as he could and didn't try anything stupid. During the time of his dominance even I was getting tired of his winning all the time, I think I heard some boos during that time. I think he moved the sport toward the driver/spokesman model we have to day (good for sponsors but not for drivers who'd rather just drive). I've cheered for Jeff no matter if it was a good, bad, or ugly run. As a fan I'm proud of his accomplishments.

I hope he runs the Rainbow Warrior colors sometime this year.
My favorite moment from his 1st 500 was when Ray came over the radio in the middle of the race and said "give it your all for just one lap. See what you can do" and he moved from like 10th to 3rd, passing by Earnhardt like he was sitting still.

Somewhere Dale Earnhardt is grinning and giving Jeff a salute. With one finger. :D

My nephew and his wife with Gordon 10-31-2004 Yep Jeff Gordon is a class act. AMS this year is going to be fun. We are all going. Might be the last time I see Gordon race, don't know if I'll make any more races this year. Sorry but still going to pull for Junior to win. :D

10-31-2004.jpg

100 wins suddenly doesn't seem so realistic anymore. I thought 2016 or 17 was the year.

Just gotta watch with a purpose this year I guess. It'll be history.

I'm gonna watch Jeff Gordon and Kobe Bryant retire within months of eachother. Crazy.

As sad as I am to see him go, it's inevitable. I have to say I am REALLY excited about some of the young drivers coming up now. Maybe I'll root for multiple drivers legitimately now, instead of rooting for Gordon and wanting to see like 10 drivers "do well".

Hopefully one of the races i go to this year, Gordon wins. I have never seen him win, and it would be nice to see him win before he retires

I guess all the Gordon fans will understand what us DE fans went through when Dale passed. At least Jeff is leaving on his terms.

Can a Person be a part owner of two teams? Anyone know the rule on this?

I haven't read anything other than this thread about Jeff Gordon retiring but on NASCAR Radio they are saying that he will no longer run full time after 2015. That makes it sounds to me that he could be running part time. Is this a Mark Martin type retirement?

I haven't read anything other than this thread about Jeff Gordon retiring but on NASCAR Radio they are saying that he will no longer run full time after 2015. That makes it sounds to me that he could be running part time. Is this a Mark Martin type retirement?

I guess if a sponsor paid enough for him to drive one race he would. I doubt if he would even consider a plate track as he hates them.

Besides MM there is TL and BE

I guess all the Gordon fans will understand what us DE fans went through when Dale passed. At least Jeff is leaving on his terms.

Can a Person be a part owner of two teams? Anyone know the rule on this?

I've spent years putting myself in DE fans' shoes in 2001 and I still can't fathom it.

With Derek Jeter gone and Jeff Gordon and Kobe Bryant on the way out, it does feel like we're closing the door on late 90s-00s sports icons. Peyton Manning and Tom Brady are likely not far behind as well. It's sad to watch my childhood and teen icons walk off into the sunset.

Yeah. I don't expect older folks to give a ****, but this 20-something is trippin out. Haha

That's what I'm thinking. He says he's not going to use the word "retirement" because he is still going to be really involved.

I motion to reopen the "Does Jeff Gordon Even Care Anymore?" thread, as it is evident that the answer is "no."

We may see a lot of these retirements in the next few years. Biffle is 45, Tony will be 44 in May, Kenseth will be 43 in March, Junior is 40, and Jimmie and Harvick turn the big 4-0 this year. Gonna be sad to see all these guys ride off into the sunset.

I don't see Johnson retiring til he has his 8th Championship.

I grew up watching NASCAR in the golden age of the 1990s. The two best I've ever watched were Dale Sr. and Jeff. Dale has been gone for a long time and after the 2015 season, so will Jeff. It's a sad day as a general fan of the sport.

Never been a 24 guy, but anyone who's worth their skin as a racing fan respects Jeff Gordon. Growing up, he was the guy you loved to hate. In his later years, you almost rooted for him out of respect for the talent and the great man he appears to be.

Its all over sports social media pages.

Yall dont get it twisted. Gordon isnt retiring from racing all together. He said "this is my final season competing for a championship". Which to me, sounds like he will run a limited schedule in the future (which he has talked about before). Jeff said he wont use "the R word" for that reason. I doubt he pulls a mark martin part time/full time flip flop.

Its all over sports social media pages.

Yall dont get it twisted. Gordon isnt retiring from racing all together. He said "this is my final season competing for a championship". Which to me, sounds like he will run a limited schedule in the future (which he has talked about before). Jeff said he wont use "the R word" for that reason. I doubt he pulls a mark martin part time/full time flip flop.
I know it's out there, I just haven't bothered reading it.

I can't imagine Jeff running a partial schedule, it just wouldn't be right. He needs to just hang it up completely, at least in cup. Maybe run a few Xfinity or Truck races but a part time schedule in Cup wouldn't do him justice.
he couldn't run in cup for HMS, 4 car limit would stop that, have to be a rookie to run a few races in cup on a full 4 car team.

Came out of team workouts, read the FoxSports page & the last thing I remember is "CLEAR"! :eek:

Thank you for the memories Jeff!

24ever!

Where were you when Gordon announced his full time retirement?

enjoying the announcement :D

http://beyondtheflag.com/2015/01/22/fan-poll-will-jeff-gordon-fans-root-now/

Looks like I will be rooting for #42 and the #24 next year ( if Chase moves into the #24 car :) )

Back
Top Bottom