Jeff Gordon to retire after 2015 season

I've been saying since last year that this will be Gordon's last year in order to make room for Elliott and people were calling me crazy lol
I've never been to a NASCAR race before but I'm definitely going to do my best to make it to at least one this year. I think this year will see a big increase in track attendance and TV viewership numbers since it will be Gordon's last season.

Never have been a Gordon Fan, but, at the same time, I have never been a Gordon Hater either. He is OK, just never cared.

For what it is worth he is not retiring in 2016, as finally stated above by two others, he just is not running a full schedule in 2016. Absolutely no doubt in my mind Chase fills that seat for the 2016 season. I am really looking forward to watching Chase in the Cup series.

I feel Jeff will run the high dollar races only in 2016 and mentor Chase a lot.

Gordon is going to make another fortune on souvenirs in 2015! Good for him.

Where were you when Gordon announced his full time retirement?

What time did Jeff make the announcement? If he made it between 10:00 and 1:30 central time, I was at school.

I was in my bedroom reading posts on another internet forum around 3:00 when my mom came in to tell me she heard someone on TV say that Jeff was retiring.

If Jeff continues to race part-time after this year, I hope he keeps racing at Kentucky until he finally wins or can no longer physically compete.

This is insane.

Although, not at all surprising. Guess you tools finally got one thread right. Gordon will indeed finally retire so no more need for threads calling him a washed up or that he doesn't care anymore.

The last of the Mohigans!!

Thanks Jeff. I'll miss you.

I hope he takes a job behind the booth for a year or two. That would probably extend my NASCAR viewing.

~tin foil hat on~

Do you guys think the wild fight with Brad K last year played a role in this announcement?
Maybe his wife put some pressure on?

ANyway Im sad he is leaving

~tin foil hat on~

Do you guys think the wild fight with Brad K last year played a role in this announcement?
Maybe his wife put some pressure on?

ANyway Im sad he is leaving
Hell no.

I think Jeff just wanted more of this

image.jpg

image.jpg

This is insane.

Although, not at all surprising. Guess you tools finally got one thread right. Gordon will indeed finally retire so no more need for threads calling him a washed up or that he doesn't care anymore.

The last of the Mohigans!!

Thanks Jeff. I'll miss you.

I hope he takes a job behind the booth for a year or two. That would probably extend my NASCAR viewing.

I imagine he'll end up replacing Darrell Waltrip at FOX.

Question for the Gordon fans: after this season, do you think you will most likely 1) stop watching/caring/rooting, or 2) automatically start rooting for Chase (assuming he's in the seat) or 3) start rooting for a different driver completely?

I'm asking because Jeff pretty clearly has the 2nd largest fan base of any driver. It will be interesting to see how many Gordon fans will be passionately rooting for Jeff this one last season...but at the same time, whether consciously or subconsciously, kind of be "shopping/scouting" for a replacement driver as well. Does Chase just automatically take the job?
Harvick until he retires as well...then Larson.

Damnit, I was going to do an April Fool's prank this year saying Gordon retired. Even had a fake version of Jayski ready to go. Trumped by reality!

I haven't read anything other than this thread about Jeff Gordon retiring but on NASCAR Radio they are saying that he will no longer run full time after 2015. That makes it sounds to me that he could be running part time. Is this a Mark Martin type retirement?
I won’t use the ‘R-word’ because I plan to stay extremely busy in the years ahead, and there’s always the possibility I’ll compete in selected events, although I currently have no plans to do that.

It could happen but I wouldn't bank on it.

Well damn...sure would be nice to see him get that 5th title.

He's earned his place in NASCAR's history. No doubt a top 5 driver of all time in my mind.

He'll be missed by everyone in the NASCAR community that's for sure.

Bryant is way over the hills bro. He stayed too long. lol

Breaking news: torn rotator cuff, Kobe's career is potentially over RIGHT NOW.

What a day.

Damnit, I was going to do an April Fool's prank this year saying Gordon retired. Even had a fake version of Jayski ready to go. Trumped by reality!

Hahaha

Jeff has had a wonderful career and will retire with a bang as opposed to DJ, the Labonte's, DW, Bill Elliott etc. While he doesn't make my top 5 all time he is comfortably in the top 10 and likely will never be displaced.

I've been saying since last year that this will be Gordon's last year in order to make room for Elliott and people were calling me crazy lol

I have to say that I am not surprised by this. The tip off for me was Kasey Kahne's new contract and the fact that Rick Hendrick said at the end of the NNS season that they would be keeping Chase Elliot in NNS for one more year. I couldn't see Jimmy Johnson or Jr. going anywhere and since Rick couldn't add a 4th car and Chase would be coming up in 2016, the only possibility left that I could see was that 2015 would be Jeff's last season there.

Jeff has had a wonderful career and will retire with a bang as opposed to DJ, the Labonte's, DW, Bill Elliott etc. While he doesn't make my top 5 all time he is comfortably in the top 10 and likely will never be displaced.
Or Richard Petty, too.

There's something to be said about retiring while you're still winning races.

I've never been to a NASCAR race before but I'm definitely going to do my best to make it to at least one this year. I think this year will see a big increase in track attendance and TV viewership numbers since it will be Gordon's last season.
Gordon is retiring because he wants to retire. It just works out for Hendrick that Gordon is making room just when Elliott will be ready for Cup.

Breaking news: torn rotator cuff, Kobe's career is potentially over RIGHT NOW.

What a day.

Not breaking news enough. :D

Saw this screencap posted some place else.

6wN63do.jpg

Good thing I didn't see this first. I would have freaked out. Seeing Gordon as a breaking news is freaky.

I guess its fitting that I've been watching Gordon's 2001 championship season.

Here I was preparing myself for the 2015 season and that will probably turn out to be the last time he gets a championship. Sad!!!!!

I hate you all

Not breaking news enough. :D

Saw this screencap posted some place else.

6wN63do.jpg

Good thing I didn't see this first. I would have freaked out. Seeing Gordon as a breaking news is freaky.

I had the day off today, I opened this thread up while half awake and found out about JG. It is freaky.

#24's are dropping like flies today.

Weird right?

Maybe u can stop whining for chase to take Patrick's seat now.

As for Jeff i will miss him.

Danica is lucky that Gordon is retiring because it is just a matter of time before somebody finds a place for him in a cup car and I content the 10 car has the worst results given the level of equipment and experience.

Question for the Gordon fans: after this season, do you think you will most likely 1) stop watching/caring/rooting, or 2) automatically start rooting for Chase (assuming he's in the seat) or 3) start rooting for a different driver completely?

I'm asking because Jeff pretty clearly has the 2nd largest fan base of any driver. It will be interesting to see how many Gordon fans will be passionately rooting for Jeff this one last season...but at the same time, whether consciously or subconsciously, kind of be "shopping/scouting" for a replacement driver as well. Does Chase just automatically take the job?

I'll always follow Nascar, but I honestly have no idea who my next favorite driver will be. I'm 28 years old, so Jeff has been the only favorite I've ever had. I liked Terry and Bobby Labonte a lot, plus Sterling Marlin and Ernie Irvan to a lesser extent, but none of them are around anymore. I haven't had time to even think about having a favorite after Jeff. It just feels so weird right now.

I like Chase, I like Kyle Larson, I like Dale and a lot of other drivers. But do I like them enough to consider them my favorite? No way, at least not yet. I'll still root for a handful of drivers depending on the race/situation, but think it's going to be a long time before I have another favorite after Jeff.

Hell no.

View attachment 17077
View attachment 17078
I know I would. The guy is getting old and raising kids. At some point living your life with your children/family probably trumps "working"/traveling 75% of the year. He'll be set to have fun, race cars, do whatever he wants with his millions of dollars for the rest of his life. I'm happy for him.

Good riddance....I will never forgive him for moving Rusty for the win at Bristol in 2002

Hell no.

View attachment 17077
View attachment 17078

lmao at that first photo! damn grey whiskers! I became aware of that issue myself about a decade ago! gotta admit having seen jeffy as a baby back in the days of espn's Thursday night thunder, I find that picture entertaining. and humbling!

last call here: I was, am, and always will be a Sr. fan. and have engaged in numerous no-holds barred discussions about dale and jeff. but as far as I can remember, I never said he couldn't drive a race car. just that he wasn't as good as dale! and in my book, that still makes him damn good!

Kids will be starting school full time soon.

Back
Top Bottom