New developer for NASCAR video games.

I know better at this point then to get excited about a new NASCAR game, but I'm getting started on Iracing the end of next month so I'll be ok and keep my version of inside line to mess around on.

Anything is better than EA sports.. trust me, don't waste your money

I know better at this point then to get excited about a new NASCAR game, but I'm getting started on Iracing the end of next month so I'll be ok and keep my version of inside line to mess around on.

When you're about to start iRacing, let us know. There is plenty of advice and tips to share for newcomers to iRacing. So far it only seems @SpeedPagan and myself are on iRacing.

How much does Iracing really cost? I'd dump all my other game systems for it if it was reasonable

How much does Iracing really cost? I'd dump all my other game systems for it if it was reasonable

Actually, if you buy the right subscriptions at the right time, it can be very cheap. I recently brought a year subscription to iRacing for about...I want to say $50, but it usually cost about $100. Yay for Winter sales! Also, contrary to popular belief, you don't have to buy every single DLC on iRacing. Me, I only have enough DLC to race the full schedule of the SK Modifieds, which includes the Tour/SK Modifieds car, and the tracks. The cars are usually around $12 and the tracks are usually around $15.

However, if you get e-mails from iRacing on any deals that they're having, then you can take advantage of those deals and it can be very cheap.

Now for steering wheels and pedals, I'd start out with the DFGT wheel, it's cheap enough and good enough to get you started. Now if you're like me who has become dedicated to the hobby of sim racing, then you can get the more expensive stuff, equipment that was designed for hardcore sim racing.

It varies.

If you already have a decent PC/laptop, you could try it out with a controller but I will suggest not using a controller too long because it will hold you back in becoming competitive.

A really good wheel/pedal/shifter set from Logitech will run you around $300. The logitech driving force gt wheel is an excellent, cheap starting wheel. Unsure of exact price but a friend got his used for $60 but the pedals are not very good but good for starting. You can make a stand or rig fairly cheap. I made mine, the one posted above for $65.

iRacing memberships are $12 per month or discounted if purchased in bulk (like Xbox Live). New members get half price. You get some free tracks and cars with memberships and can get fairly far in licenses without buying any content but will be limited once out of Rookie classes.

I've spent on computer parts, wheel/pedals, iRacing content right around $800 so far but all of that is not needed to get started. It's best to shop around, research and decide. If you are unsure if you will like it, buy a gamepad, a one month memebrship for $6 and try it out.

I will warn you, it is nothing like a console racing game. Don't expect to boot up the sim and be competitive right away. Takes time to learn the cars and tracks.

@SpeedPagan you race any trucks? That's what I've been racing this season and love it. This is my "rookie" season in trucks and just learning. Came close to a couple wins though.

@SpeedPagan you race any trucks? That's what I've been racing this season and love it. This is my "rookie" season in trucks and just learning. Came close to a couple wins though.

Nah, license level isn't C yet, I may run a few Mod race this weekend and see where it takes me. Are you running fixed or open?

Nah, license level isn't C yet, I may run a few Mod race this weekend and see where it takes me. Are you running fixed or open?

Fixed but may run an open or two. Open just isn't as popular.

Those Mods fun?

Fixed but may run an open or two. Open just isn't as popular.

Those Mods fun?

Hel yea, especially on tracks like Lucas Oil Speedway and Martinsville. The low to the ground cars with wide tires offer a lot of grip coming off the turn. THere is no fixed set-up Mod series, but in the SK Mods, you do have a couple of drivers posting set-ups in the iRacing forums every week, so even if you don't know how to set-up your own car, you can always use theirs.

Hel yea, especially on tracks like Lucas Oil Speedway and Martinsville. The low to the ground cars with wide tires offer a lot of grip coming off the turn. THere is no fixed set-up Mod series, but in the SK Mods, you do have a couple of drivers posting set-ups in the iRacing forums every week, so even if you don't know how to set-up your own car, you can always use theirs.

I freaking love running on Martinsville. The street stocks are fun there too. I don't have LOR but plan to buy. The Mods are on the list too after I get the updated trucks and Xfinity car.

I freaking love running on Martinsville. The street stocks are fun there too. I don't have LOR but plan to buy. The Mods are on the list too after I get the updated trucks and Xfinity car.

Yea, I'm waiting on the Toyota Tundra before I race trucks. There's no way in Hel I'm ever racing a Chevy. :p

Yea, I'm waiting on the Toyota Tundra before I race trucks. There's no way in Hel I'm ever racing a Chevy. :p

Toyota is what i'm getting too. Right now the series should be called the Chevrolet Silverado Series.

You'll love trucks, but cautions are very common especially in the higher splits because of the number of fast guys and all the egos.

Toyota is what i'm getting too. Right now the series should be called the Chevrolet Silverado Series.

You'll love trucks, but cautions are very common especially in the higher splits because of the number of fast guys and all the egos.

Yea, I probably won't be running in the top Division because of the egos. I mean, I get that people take iRacing seriously, I do too. But at the same time, it is a video game and you should allow yourself to have some fun with it.

For anyone interested, the virtual Rolex 24 at Daytona is on iRacing today. Go to Twitch link to watch some streams. Going to be interesting, the first official 24 hour virtual race. There is tons of races going on at the same time because so many people are racing it but I know that Timmy Hill is racing in one of them at some point and probably a lot of other real drivers in it.

http://www.twitch.tv/iracing

there is also lots of in car camera streams too on Twitch

For anyone interested, the virtual Rolex 24 at Daytona is on iRacing today. Go to Twitch link to watch some streams. Going to be interesting, the first official 24 hour virtual race. There is tons of races going on at the same time because so many people are racing it but I know that Timmy Hill is racing in one of them at some point and probably a lot of other real drivers in it.

http://www.twitch.tv/iracing

there is also lots of in car camera streams too on Twitch

RaceSpot is covering the Top Split of the 24 Hours of Daytona race

:D

Back
Top Bottom