No Jr this week

Sorry for Junior and his fans, it sucks when your favorite misses races.
I sure hope he gets better and keeps racing for many more years, the sport will really suffer without him

i wonder if he was winning and was looking good to win the championship, would he have went this route. don't blame him at all for putting safety first, just seems he has these all of a sudden moments right after questions arise of his performance.

Technically you are incorrect. There is actually a drivers Chase and an owners Chase. The owner standings are subject to Chase rules. For instance, the #18 team did qualify for the owners Chase last year and became the owners champion. But that wouldn't have happened if they weren't in the top 30 of owners points at the start of the Chase.

We could now easily see a scenario in which the #88 qualifies for the owners Chase on points, but Jr. does not via driver points.

Now, practically you're almost correct, because nobody talks about or gives a rat's behind about the owners Chase. Unless it resulted in having different driver and owner champions. That is very unlikely but would be notable.

Saw the news break on Racehub. Super unexpected and I wish Junior a speedy recovery, but I gotta say I am really excited to see Alex Bowman in the 88.
I think putting extra pressure on Bowman is a crazy thing to do. He gets zero practice with the team , zero time to build any relationship with the crew chief . He may get his own seat installed before he races and he may be able to keep the car off the walls. Anything in the top thirty would be really great.

Technically you are incorrect. There is actually a drivers Chase and an owners Chase. The owner standings are subject to Chase rules. For instance, the #18 team did qualify for the owners Chase last year and became the owners champion. But that wouldn't have happened if they weren't in the top 30 of owners points at the start of the Chase.

We could now easily see a scenario in which the #88 qualifies for the owners Chase on points, but Jr. does not via driver points.

Now, practically you're almost correct, because nobody talks about or gives a rat's behind about the owners Chase. Unless it resulted in having different driver and owner champions. That is very unlikely but would be notable.
During last year's Chase, Gibbs scored owner points for the the 20 with Eric Jones in the seat at Texas and Phoenix (races 34 and 35).

If Kenseth had still been in contention for the Cup when he was suspended, Gibbs could have won the big owner's check while someone else's driver won the Cup.

So yes, the two are connected but can easily be disconnected.

I think putting extra pressure on Bowman is a crazy thing to do. He gets zero practice with the team , zero time to build any relationship with the crew chief . He may get his own seat installed before he races and he may be able to keep the car off the walls. Anything in the top thirty would be really great.
Wasn't Bowman voted by crew chiefs, spotters, and drivers last year as being the most underrated driver in the sport? I think he will do just fine - I expect a 15th-20th place finish.

From Jeff Gluck's column (linked by TRL)...

"Whether he returns anytime soon or not, the bottom line is this: It's harder to imagine that Earnhardt will race into his late 40s today than it was yesterday."

I agree with this, and also I wonder about how JJ or other aging stars might be affected by Dale's situation. Once a driver reaches a certain age and longevity in the sport, carrying on longer comes with diminishing returns. You still can win, but maybe the wins are less frequent as you've lost a step in reaction speed or in boldness. You still make great money, but you already have a lot of wealth and are motivated less by getting more. The grind of racing weekly over a 9-month season becomes tougher after 15 or 20 years than it was after 10 years. You've already earned your ticket to the hall of fame, and now you have young children, and so forth. Add to all that the great unknown of 100 hard crashes and possible brain injury...?

Jr's retirement may be coming sooner than we realized. I'm not a fan of him but even I'm not ready.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I agree, that if he has a "soft head" now (I'm not sure how else to put it) from getting multiple concussions then who knows how much longer he'll be able to drive for if he gets another one.

Your brain can only take so much of a beating and we've seen emotional issues brought on for other athletes when they sustain repeated injuries like this. He is already over the hill when it comes to his career, so would he want to jeopardize his qualify of life into his old age for a few more years of racing? Who knows.

Yes, there is a seperate owner's chase that has the same rules as the driver's chase.

Good on Dale and the doctors for playing it safe.
So ... there could be 17 cars in the first elimination segment?

Can someone find a link to something ... anything that references an owner's Chase?

^ Thank you.

The hidesert cowboy asked if a car owner could make the Chase if his driver didn't.

I say no. If I'm wrong, is a 17 car Chase the correct answer?

^ Aunty, when you say "17 car Chase" do you mean "15+1+1" where 15 cars race for both the driver and owner crowns, and 1 car races for only the driver title, and 1 for only the owner title? That would be sooo confusing. Can you imagine Rick Allen showing a graphic of Points As They Run every five minutes?

I think the owners champion is by definition the owner of the car that wins the driving championship. But that is just a guess, I've never seen anything before on this question.

Yes, it would be confusing. Far too confusing.

The link provided spells it out. The Chase entrants after Richmond consist of race winners within the top 30 as determined by DRIVER points and by DRIVER points within the top 16 for non-winners. 16 drivers and 16 owners have their points reset. This year, Stewart and his car owner could be 20th in driver and owner points and instantly be 11th before the first Chase race.

A car can be 15th in owner points after Richmond with a regular driver who was suspended for two races, hasn't won and is 20th in driver points after penalties and missed events. Neither he nor the car is in the Chase. The best that car can do is place itself 17th in OWNER points.

I've never heard any NASCAR spokesperson, journalist, team owner or driver refer to the owner's championship as The Owner's Chase. I see it often in forums and on Twittah.

Have to be worried about Jr. Hoping that something more dramatic isn't around the corner (retirement). Breath held.

On a semi-related note, it is so hard for me to understand UFC crap with all of the concussion discussion. Really? How the hell does the sporting world turn a blind eye to the lack of head protection/knock outs, etc.? What bull****. Good thing none of our drivers are caught up in that mess of a sport....wait, Meisha Tate....who manages her?

I actually thought the way junior ran the race at daytona was strange. It looked to me like he wasn't trying to run the car fast there. The NBC broadcast was so bad we couldn't see how much damage the car had. Watching cars running around junior at daytona there were some low low budget teams that were running better. It was almost like junior figured we don't have the piece to win with so lets hang out in the back and not get hurt.

Junior may also be thinking why try to stay in the car knowing he isn't in shape capable of winning or running all that great. By doing that he gives the team a false read on the car and that would be the car running terrible but the driver is really the problem. I have speculated in the past that I think there is something wrong with kasey kahne and he is hiding something. either way I am really worried about junior, when he was out last time with this I wondered if t could end his career early. He came so close at pocono a few weeks back. Chase elliott cost him a win there.

The link provided spells it out....
I think you are agreeing with what I said, that the car that wins the drivers title at Homestead will, by definition, also win the owners title. At the start of the Homestead race, there are four drivers with 5,000 points, and their car owners also have 5,000.

Untitled.jpg

I think you are agreeing with what I said, that the car that wins the drivers title at Homestead will, by definition, also win the owners title. At the start of the Homestead race, there are four drivers with 5,000 points, and their car owners also have 5,000.
LOL. I never disagreed with you. The 17 thing was rhetorical ... I disagreed with someone else. You are correct.

On actual topic ... get well Little E.

If this season couldn't get any worse, it did. Making the chase was slim before this but i don't think he will make it now. I just want him to get healthy at this moment, this has been a problem before and I don't want it to be a problem for the rest of his life. If he has to retire within the next couple years so be it. Him being my # 1 driver since 2006 has been great, but I'll been ready for the day for Jr retires for years, whenever that day comes.

If this season couldn't get any worse, it did. Making the chase was slim before this but i don't think he will make it now. I just want him to get healthy at this moment, this has been a problem before and I don't want it to be a problem for the rest of his life. If he has to retire within the next couple years so be it. Him being my # 1 driver since 2006 has been great, but I'll been ready for the day for Jr retires for years, whenever that day comes.

If Jr. comes back, and wins a race to get in the Chase, it would be epic. Keep the faith man. Jr.'s impact on this sport is undeniable. We need him.

Jeff will drive the 88 at Indy if Jr isn't available.

Holy ****! Jeff Gordon in the car for Indy if Jr. can't go!

Isn't this the second? Maybe third time he's going to excuse himself after a concussion?

Health first, for sure. But this is worrisome.

One might begin to wonder if now isn't a good time to walk away from the sport when the getting is good.
I also wonder if losing his dad has something to do with the extra precautions Jr takes

I commend Jr for his handling of this matter. I thought NASCAR had a concussion policy and I'm wondering how Jr's situation missed scrutiny? I'm wondering if Jr's situation based on an accumulation of events rather than a single event.

I'm still really worried about Jr. He's not even my driver but it would kill me if his concussions affected him later in life.

^ Thank you.

The hidesert cowboy asked if a car owner could make the Chase if his driver didn't.

I say no. If I'm wrong, is a 17 car Chase the correct answer?

It depends on what happens at Itchnond.

Makes me sad honestly, I think I have become more of a fan for Jr these past three years.

Some of the best driving I have ever seen from him and honestly, I can say that he is one of the best drivers out in the field when it comes to race trim. His results have definitely improved and even though he's struggled this season he's making needed strides to get back up towards the front.

Like after Kentucky Dale and Greg were like the last guys to leave, they wanted to talk and find out what went wrong. Dale said he was not and has not been pleased with his finishes. That just shows his growth as a driver and as a leader over the years. He wants to win and win that first title, so he's doing everything to make sure his team improves.

He's become such a quality driver that you miss him not being in the field.

Reactions: Pat
Back
Top Bottom