RACE thread --- Indy

a563f16f4a114acb8470da5106051e0f
Wow!

I am curious, was the low attendance today caused by the lack of on track action, or is it tied to the lower attendance at most of the other race tracks. I would like to see attendance numbers going back to say 2003 to see when it started going down.

One side can blame the track, the other side can blame NASCAR.

Turn the clock back 20 years and the crowds in those pictures could almost have been reversed.

The Indy 500 never came close to bottoming out like this. The smallest Indy crowd was probably in the 150-175k range.

The Brickyard 400 was just such big event prior to the tire fiasco. Ugh...depressing to see..

I am curious, was the low attendance today caused by the lack of on track action, or is it tied to the lower attendance at most of the other race tracks. I would like to see attendance numbers going back to say 2003 to see when it started going down.

A large portion of it is the price-gouging on behalf of hotels. I was out of town a few weeks ago and stayed in a hotel when there was an event in town. Normal price for 1 night is usually $89, but for that weekend the lowest price was $275...and that's for a bare-bones room. I can't imagine how bad it would be if NASCAR was in town.

All of the above, plus relatively high ticket prices compared to other tracks, and some fans who've learned the hard way that you can't see most of the track.

"It's still a profitable event for IMS, but with all those empty seats, it's also a bit of an embarrassment to the grand old track."

Anybody been to either the IMSA or Moto GP events at Indy? I doubt those races put more butts in the seats than the Cup series, but nobody is calling those events 'embarrassments'.

As long as they're making money, I don't see the Cup series leaving (unfortunately).

Back
Top Bottom