Testing Ban is Stupid

Revman

Denny beat your favorite driver....again!
Okay, so NASCAR instituted a testing ban to get ahead of The Alliance IMO. Now, all of the teams want in on the Goodyear tests because there is no testing allowed. Then, NASCAR closes next week's test in Charlotte to the media and public. WTF? Could we just leave this alone? So stupid. I think that testing stimulates interest amongst the hard core fans. Nice bench racing in the winter.....and for those of you that think testing shows nothing, Champion Harvick was a reported 1/2 to 3/4 of a second better than everyone at last year's test.

I'm with you, DP.

My point being, however, that it is stupid to initiate a ban, and then allow testing under the tire testing rule. Why even mess with it?

Makes no difference to me one way or the other whether or not they test. The only test that I've ever been the slightest bit interested in is the pre-season testing @ Daytona..... And that's only because it's an indicator that the season is just a short time away.
YEP.

Wouldn't you think Goodyear has enough $ so that they could buy a car or two, outfit it with sensors and test independently???
No team would then get a heads up.

Okay, so NASCAR instituted a testing ban to get ahead of The Alliance IMO. Now, all of the teams want in on the Goodyear tests because there is no testing allowed. Then, NASCAR closes next week's test in Charlotte to the media and public. WTF? Could we just leave this alone? So stupid. I think that testing stimulates interest amongst the hard core fans. Nice bench racing in the winter.....and for those of you that think testing shows nothing, Champion Harvick was a reported 1/2 to 3/4 of a second better than everyone at last year's test.

sounds like '15 rule changes not set in stone yet . ??

Supposedly, doing away with private testing is supposed to save the teams a seven-figure amount. Not sure how much I believe that though, or that they won't spend it elsewhere. I think creating more parity is a pretty big reason as well.

I guess the biggest issue is that Goodyear expressed concern with supporting all of the teams for multiple tire tests. You'd think NASCAR would've collaborated with Goodyear before making that decision.

I for one hate it when the teams can't test. They come to the tracks way off and struggle to get a handle. Also, Nascar changes the specs every stinking year. A team can't get ahead of the curve. Oh, and while we're at it, I hate parity, templates and any rule that isn't for safety.

So there.

sounds like '15 rule changes not set in stone yet . ??

That must be a Goodyear test. Most of the time Goodyear closes the track. I heard it was their preference, not Nascar. Last year is the first year I remember them opening a tire test to the media, don't know if they opened it to the public as well.

That must be a Goodyear test. Most of the time Goodyear closes the track. I heard it was their preference, not Nascar. Last year is the first year I remember them opening a tire test to the media, don't know if they opened it to the public as well.
^ This.

Earnhardt, Hornish, Edwards, and one of the RCR drivers will be tire testing. There's another one at Las Vegas in January.

Reactions: Pat
I don't mind the no testing but I think this is going to encourage cup drivers to race the Xf series for testing tires etc. So
once again we have the big teams having the same advantage as before.

Im all for a testing ban as long as the tire tests are divided up evenly among teams. As long as its fair dont really have an issue with it.

I like the no test rule or limited testing. Competition should measure how quickly teams and drivers can adapt.

I hate the 25 lap pre planned competition cautions that happen early in some races too.
They should be called anti competition cautions imo.

I don't mind the no testing but I think this is going to encourage cup drivers to race the Xf series for testing tires etc. So once again we have the big teams having the same advantage as before.

BAZINGA! We have a winner. They'll be even more cup teams invading the BUSCH series now.

Testing today is nothing more than over-engineering sessions. They use so many computers and sensors that it's no wonder the smaller teams cannot compete except on plate tracks or road courses. This is trickling down to smaller lever asphalt and dirt late models that it's driving a number of those teams out of the sport. Like anything else, NASCAR teams will just use the "saved" money on something else.

Testing today is nothing more than over-engineering sessions. They use so many computers and sensors that it's no wonder the smaller teams cannot compete except on plate tracks or road courses. This is trickling down to smaller lever asphalt and dirt late models that it's driving a number of those teams out of the sport. Like anything else, NASCAR teams will just use the "saved" money on something else.

Like trying to sort out the new power and aero reductions.

To the best of my knowledge , tire testing is all about Goodyear . Teams cannot experiment with setups , it would throw off the results . The tests only work if teams use the same set up for every run while Goodyear tells them which set of tires to use and which tire pressure to use . By measuring tread wear , Goodyear can learn which tires are best to use in different circumstances . Teams might learn something about fuel mileage but not a heck of a lot more . Just a stumps observation.:)

I like the idea of teams coming to the track cold & having to find the best setup first. Brings more of a "race what you brought" feel back to nascar. Kinda.

Makes good sense to me, as long as they are all in the same boat

I don't mind the no testing but I think this is going to encourage cup drivers to race the Xf series for testing tires etc. So
once again we have the big teams having the same advantage as before.

Saturday night tire testing has been going on for years

The reason they quit testing was to cut costs, the story was when one team decided to test, they all had to follow suit, they really didn't need to test, but if one did, they couldn't stand to not test. Monkey see monkey do.

Im all for a testing ban as long as the tire tests are divided up evenly among teams. As long as its fair dont really have an issue with it.

It's interesting....I had heard that Goodyear has their preferences when it comes to which drivers they like to have test. Should be interesting as the teams try to back door the tire tests with performance tests. Wonder if Goodyear allows them to run 8 psi in order to get real world results....

The reason they quit testing was to cut costs, the story was when one team decided to test, they all had to follow suit, they really didn't need to test, but if one did, they couldn't stand to not test. Monkey see monkey do.

I disagree...kind of. They stopped testing because NASCAR wanted to pull the plug before the almighty Alliance said, "**** you!" and didn't show up. IMO they were NEVER coming to Daytona in January. This is a face saving measure--not money saving.

Supposedly, doing away with private testing is supposed to save the teams a seven-figure amount. Not sure how much I believe that though, or that they won't spend it elsewhere. I think creating more parity is a pretty big reason as well.

I guess the biggest issue is that Goodyear expressed concern with supporting all of the teams for multiple tire tests. You'd think NASCAR would've collaborated with Goodyear before making that decision.

Good thing they are saving money. Those simulation software packages are expensive. SMDH. Put them on the track. Report the times. Then we can bull**** about how are guys are gonna kick ass. What the hell is so wrong with that?

Hell yes Andy................................... yank them little snot noses outta them cars and put the cup guys in, the little kids can go race Arca
The best possible scenario would be Chase Elliott winning every X- series race that kybu is entered in next year. I would pay a lot of money to see that.

The best possible scenario would be Chase Elliott winning every X- series race that kybu is entered in next year. I would pay a lot of money to see that.
He doesn't have to win, just slide Kyle up into the wall. Lesson learned from Newman. :)

I'm not sure if I have all of this correctly but it looks the ban will hurt the single car teams the worst …

I'm not sure if I have all of this correctly but it looks the ban will hurt the single car teams the worst …
Only if Goodyear plays favorites on who they invite to these tests

Only if Goodyear plays favorites on who they invite to these tests
I'm looking at more along the line of after a hand full of races the multi-car teams will be able to compare notes where as the single car teams are screwed … maybe I am looking at this wrong but that is how I see it …

I'm looking at more along the line of after a hand full of races the multi-car teams will be able to compare notes where as the single car teams are screwed … maybe I am looking at this wrong but that is how I see it …

That's always been the case . Although there have been multi car teams in the past who refused to share info with each other , I think that's pretty much gone away.

Back
Top Bottom