Those pointless points are getting ready to matter

dpkimmel2001

Team Owner
9 races left to qualify for the Chase via a win. 6 spots up for grabs. No way in heck we're getting 6 new winners over these 9 races. Points are going to matter. Kenseth, Newman, Menard, Larson, Biffle & Bowyer currently qualified for the Chase have yet to win a race. Do you think any of these guys are going to get in on wins or will someone leapfrog them to jump into the Chase?

I'm thinking that Kenseth gets a win over these next 9. I'm also going to say that Tony will leap over this small pack to get into the Chase with a win. Newman, Menard & Bowyer will get in on points.

Any predictions?

With guys who already have wins willing to take bigger strategy risks to get another win, I predict just 1 new winner before the chase. I'll go with Tony Stewart.

Kenseth will probably win one at some point, but he's in regardless of how. Newman, Menard, Larson, Kahne, and McMurray get in on points.

Stewart - Daytona
Newman - Indy
Bowyer - Watkins Glen
Biffle - Michigan
Kenseth - Bristol and Atlanta :)

These guys have got to beat the current winners who have dominated from Daytona. It'll be tough. If they dont got anything for 'em now, its gonna be a bumpy road till Richmond.

As good as Johnson has been, there is no way he doesnt win another or even a few more. Same goes for Harvick, Gordon & the Penske boys.

Last edited:
I can see Stewart, Newman, Kenseth or even Biffle getting a win in those races.. but no way it'll be all of them I think we'll see at least 3 get in on points.. but we could also easily have a surprise winner this weekend that changes the look of all of that. It's gona be good thats for sure.

These guys have got to beat the current winners who have dominated from Daytona. It'll be tough. If they dont got anything for 'em now, its gonna be a bumpy road till Richmond.

As good as Johnson has been, there is no way he doesnt win another or even a few more. Same goes for Harvick, Gordon & the Penske boys.
All of the true contenders have shown themselves by now. Other than Kenseth, the winless guys are fighting each other for that year-end Chase bonus money. That and the ever-important sponsor TV exposure.

All of the true contenders have shown themselves by now. Other than Kenseth, the winless guys are fighting each other for that year-end Chase bonus money. That and the ever-important sponsor TV exposure.
Agreed.. I believe the champion comes from your multi race winners as of now. Honestly I think Gordon is probably the top contender right now, which impresses me beyond belief.. I was convinced at several times through the past few years that he was all but finished.

Add a Patrick Win at Daytona and things get interesting.

We are at Daytona, and we all know how things can happen, so if we are going to see another first time winner, its going to be this weekend, but if not , I doubt we will , I do see Matt getting a win, maybe Tony, I dont really see Not so Happy Harvick getting another win before the Chase, not with all their issues on pit road of late.

how bout ambrose win at watkins glen .........2 petty cars in chase !

add matt...tony....= 14
1 mwr win= 15

slugfest at richmond for # 16......points or win.

after his remarks this weekend ....tony may blow head gasket if no win by richmond !
will be # 17's fault !

Not an Ambrose fan at all, but he has an excellent chance at Watkins Glenn, much better track for a road racer than Sonoma. That would put both Petty's in the spin dry cycle.

I think Kenseth wins somewhere, Ambrose might at WG but I'll go Bad Brad. I would pick Biffle, Newman or Vickers to win at least once but their cars haven't been strong enough. Stewart is my only other possible winner.

I'll go just kenseth and say Larson, Kahne, Newman and Menard all get in on points.

At this point... looks to me like maybe 1-2 more winners... too many good cars with wins already. Kenseth should get at least one.. and then its a toss up for most of the drivers in the top 20 really.

At this point... looks to me like maybe 1-2 more winners... too many good cars with wins already. Kenseth should get at least one.. and then its a toss up for most of the drivers in the top 20 really.

I think we are done with new winners this year.

Ambrose wins Watkins Glen and gets in.

What if...

Larson gets in on points. Makes it through the first three rounds of the playoffs, wins at Homstead to get his first Cup win and win the Cup in his rookie year. NASCAR internet melts down in excitement. Chip Ganassi's face is everywhere, which also kills the mood.

What if...

Larson gets in on points. Makes it through the first three rounds of the playoffs, wins at Homstead to get his first Cup win and win the Cup in his rookie year. NASCAR internet melts down in excitement. Chip Ganassi's face is everywhere, which also kills the mood.
Yeah, I was excited until I read the end of that. :D

What if...

Nah.

Because Kyle Larson winning a Cup race is a stretch lol amirite guize?
No not at all.... but thats not what he said

.. also... Larson winning at Homestead... this year..... No. Too much pressure, too many veterans, hes never been in a position like that.. wouldnt happen, itd be great to see though.

I'm really leaning towards the thought that you really don't have to worry about that happening.
Who knows?... 7 weeks of racing left, 6 week program ;) lol

What if...

I don't think this is so far fetched..Larson is in it right now and he did it on tracks he has never raced on. Hard to believe he is racing on most of these tracks for the first time. So I believe he will do even better when he races on them the second time. Two wins already in Nationwide this year.

What if...

Actually, Larson wouldn't even have to win at Homestead to win the championship. He'd just have to finish ahead of the three other remaining contenders.

So then we'd have a rookie winning the Cup without a win to his name and . . . . Chip Ganassi's face everywhere.

Actually, Larson wouldn't even have to win at Homestead to win the championship. He'd just have to finish ahead of the three other remaining contenders.

So then we'd have a rookie winning the Cup without a win to his name and . . . . Chip Ganassi's face everywhere.
neither would any other driver, but it you win a race in the playoffs you automatically advance into the next round, so 3 races in a round and three different winners would only leave one spot open to advance.

Back
Top Bottom