Travis Pastrana?

Pastranas fan base is essentially 14-18 year olds who have the attention span of a flea....They love him when he's always winning on bikes etc....How long will they hang around as NASCAR fans to watch him run 26th every week?

You seem to be very hostile . Do you have a grudge against Nascar in general like Andy ?

Pastranas fan base is essentially 14-18 year olds who have the attention span of a flea....They love him when he's always winning on bikes etc....How long will they hang around as NASCAR fans to watch him run 26th every week?
I hear that, and they are still messing around with dirt bikes. /didn't work for Charmichael because he didn't do well with four wheels, and unless Pastrana keeps it up with the top tens Jack isn't going to keep him. He has a dud in cup right now, his regulars aren't winning anything, don't think he can afford to keep both of them.

I hear that, and they are still messing around with dirt bikes. /didn't work for Charmichael because he didn't do well with four wheels, and unless Pastrana keeps it up with the top tens Jack isn't going to keep him. He has a dud in cup right now, his regulars aren't winning anything, don't think he can afford to keep both of them.
If Travis doesn't do anything 10 races in next year Jack will let him go. I wish the best for the dude, he is pretty cool and all, but like I said he needs his entire focus on Nation Wide not all the other stuff he has going on, and I don't think he can do that.

Ya gotta think that the idea behind bringing Pastrana, and Carmichael for that matter, to NASCAR was to let them play the role of pied piper to all of those 14-18 year olds.

But like you say, unless he's winning, fagetaboutit.

I think that Travis is doing quite well for a rookie . I don't think winning races is what he needs to do to keep his job at Roush , it didn't help Kenseth . What he needs to do is attract a big name sponsor . That is why he is there. If he could race mid pack like Montoya ,he could take that sponsor to cup. If sponsors don't appear , I agree ,he will be gone.

Ya gotta think that the idea behind bringing Pastrana, and Carmichael for that matter, to NASCAR was to let them play the role of pied piper to all of those 14-18 year olds.

But like you say, unless he's winning, fagetaboutit.
Wow , yeah , Nascar is and should be trying to attract a younger demographic . We old guys are dyin off . Travis and Danica are the new face of Nascar . But it does need sponsorship dollars . Danica has em , Travis doesn't .

I think that Travis is doing quite well for a rookie . I don't think winning races is what he needs to do to keep his job at Roush , it didn't help Kenseth . What he needs to do is attract a big name sponsor . That is why he is there. If he could race mid pack like Montoya ,he could take that sponsor to cup. If sponsors don't appear , I agree ,he will be gone.

what happened w/ red bull ?

He picked up a couple of different sponsors for the last two races. Valvoline NextGen and X Games L.A. First two sponsors they have listed besides Roush Fenway Racing.

He picked up a couple of different sponsors for the last two races. Valvoline NextGen and X Games L.A. First two sponsors they have listed besides Roush Fenway Racing.
is that a true sponsor pickup OR roush saying hey put your name on the car to cover the tire bill and crew costs?? if these deals are done last minute you have to assume they are done at a discount. basically lets get some money because its better than nothing is the thinking.

is that a true sponsor pickup OR roush saying hey put your name on the car to cover the tire bill and crew costs?? if these deals are done last minute you have to assume they are done at a discount. basically lets get some money because its better than nothing is the thinking.
Yeah, who knows. I was looking at his stats and noticed it. One thing I noticed, if a driver takes the car completely out, they mark it down as a crash. If they can repair the car and limp around, they don't count that or make a note like damaged. They are only showing 4 crashes for Travis, but there are a couple more where he finished multi laps down.

Pastrana was huge 10 years ago. His fanbase probably has a larger age range. Not to mention he and Ken Block are the only two American rally drivers non rally fans know of. I'm not his biggest fan, but racing stock cars is hard. He needs time. And unlike Danica, he is doing his time in NW like a new driver should. I don't see how you can get upset or assume he will never improve upon his first year in stock cars.

Pastrana was huge 10 years ago. His fanbase probably has a larger age range. Not to mention he and Ken Block are the only two American rally drivers non rally fans know of. I'm not his biggest fan, but racing stock cars is hard. He needs time. And unlike Danica, he is doing his time in NW like a new driver should. I don't see how you can get upset or assume he will never improve upon his first year in stock cars.

:cheers: Well said RR.

I think he needs to take a lesson or two from Stenhouse.. before he gets the same treatment Ricky did when he was wreckin a lot... did wonders for him

And unlike Danica, he is doing his time in NW like a new driver should. I don't see how you can get upset or assume he will never improve upon his first year in stock cars.

Danica's early move to Cup seemed to be sponsor pressure more than anything. Same deal with going almost immediately to Nationwide. One ARCA race and one K&N race is very little seat time before going into the AAA league.

As for Pastrana, I don't think speed is necessarily his problem as much as racecraft. He had just over one season's worth of K&N races with a good team which is better preparation than the above.

27th, 7 laps down. A weekend to forget for Mr Pastrana.

I thought he did quite well until he blew a tire and crashed .

He knew he screwed up. He said Trevor had warned him before the race that it was easy to burn up the rear tires, then he rode around for 2 laps knowing it was coming apart instead of pitting.

He knew he screwed up. He said Trevor had warned him before the race that it was easy to burn up the rear tires, then he rode around for 2 laps knowing it was coming apart instead of pitting.

Rookies:( takes them a while to learn where the limits are .I thought Brad was pushing too hard at times last night but it worked out ok.

The only time I saw Brad being hard on the tires was turns 1&2 on that final restart. He came off 2 sideways and came within 2 inches of tagging the wall.

From his remarks after the race, I thought he was throwing in the towel or at least thinking hard about it. I think if he is ponying up his own money on a race by race basis, the money drain is huge. Total guess on my part, but I kinda think he thought he would buy his way in, start winning races, and the sponsors and fans would follow.

I think he's had a sponsor for every race so far. Last night he was sponsored by X games.

Pastrana has done some amazing things and he's in shock at how hard it is to win one of these things.

I think he's had a sponsor for every race so far. Last night he was sponsored by X games.

Pastrana has done some amazing things and he's in shock at how hard it is to win one of these things.

No, he hasn't had a sponsor for any races except the last three and they aren't anything close to being permanent. The last two weeks he has been sponsored by X games L.A., the other one was Valvoline for one race.

I think that is part of it, you don't get a Roush ride right off the gate unless you can bring something to the table. Personally, I think he should stick with it.. he's not dumb, he's just over aggressive. I feel like he gets the most out of the car for his ability and sometimes too much.. unlike Danica who just rides around.

At the same time, when you're not winning in the minors when you've succeeded in everything else in your life, that must be frustrating.

I think that is part of it, you don't get a Roush ride right off the gate unless you can bring something to the table. Personally, I think he should stick with it.. he's not dumb, he's just over aggressive. I feel like he gets the most out of the car for his ability and sometimes too much.. unlike Danica who just rides around.

At the same time, when you're not winning in the minors when you've succeeded in everything else in your life, that must be frustrating.
It is kinda a survival story to me. Charmichael tried the same route, he didn't bring as much to the table as Pastrana, but his lack of success is similar and lots shorter and he is gone. Yeah he wants to stick with it, who wouldn't, Newman wants to also. Danica bought her way in also, and it's a joke thinking she is going to be competitive or ever was IMO. but Travis doesn't have the sponsorship, and I don't think he has the time factor on his side. He is trying to race and so far he isn't an instant success, which IMO he has to be to stay around. Newman's record isn't that much different than Harvick's, but the way it is now, ya have commercial corporates running the show more and more.

I think He'll give it another go next year and if he's still in the same equipment and struggles, I think he'll call it quits then.

I will be surprised if he is back next year. I'm pulling for him, but it isn't looking good from my angle right now.

Personally I don't think a lot of these guys like Travis are really into it, I think they think that NASCAR is the IT thing right now in racing so hey lets give it a go. All they do is go in circles right, how hard can it be? Wrong, Carmichael tried & failed horribly, I dunno what makes these motocross guys think they can drive NASCAR but it's completely different from flying a bike through the air & winning a few races on NASCAR Inside Line is no indicator of anything. You don't see any NASCAR guys attempting to compete in motocross events because they know it takes a certain type to do that, these motocross guys & anyone else who is thinkin of driving NASCAR should think the same, they need to respect this sport the way we the diehard fans do because for us this ain't a hobby, it's a way of life...

He was 18th 1 lap down before the tyre blowout. You know, the same kind of position as Mike Bliss with his second-tier team (at best) that has an un-sponsored second car.

Personally I don't think a lot of these guys like Travis are really into it, I think they think that NASCAR is the IT thing right now in racing so hey lets give it a go. All they do is go in circles right, how hard can it be? Wrong, Carmichael tried & failed horribly, I dunno what makes these motocross guys think they can drive NASCAR but it's completely different from flying a bike through the air & winning a few races on NASCAR Inside Line is no indicator of anything. You don't see any NASCAR guys attempting to compete in motocross events because they know it takes a certain type to do that, these motocross guys & anyone else who is thinkin of driving NASCAR should think the same, they need to respect this sport the way we the diehard fans do because for us this ain't a hobby, it's a way of life...

can you imagine if he was trying to drive in a cup race? Right now, his average finish in N'wide 20.8, is worse than Patrick's last full N'wide season @ 18.8

can you imagine if he was trying to drive in a cup race? Right now, his average finish in N'wide 20.8, is worse than Patrick's last full N'wide season @ 18.8
Helllo Brian Keslowski. Helllo Leavine Family Racing. Hellllo Phil Parsons Racing.

Judging by the race at Elkhart Lake, and the presence of Cup drivers at the Zippo 200, I don't expect too much from Pastrana next time out.

Don't confuse Pastrana for RC.. Pastrana has found success on 4 wheels. RC was under contract with Monster on 2 wheels, in the booth at SX events, and in NASCAR(he's a hell of a track designer by the way).I feel like they felt like it was the "IT" thing.

I've seen RECENT interviews where TP said he grew up a fan of NASCAR and he's always had an interest in doing it one day if ever given the opportunity. Obviously I don't know how true that is but still, worth mentioning.

I've seen RECENT interviews where TP said he grew up a fan of NASCAR and he's always had an interest in doing it one day if ever given the opportunity. Obviously I don't know how true that is but still, worth mentioning.

Probably as much interest as Dario Franchitti had.

Once he knew he couldn't cut it in NASCAR he ran back to Indy in a jiffy.

One of my all time favorite I want to see in NASCAR is Kannan.

Indy is a dying sport. Danica was its last frontier so to speak.

Back
Top Bottom