2012 Indy 500 Race Thread

Wow. What a race that was. That's the kind of move Sato was famous for in F1. Absolutely went for broke.

I guess a lot of folks won't like Dario winning, but what can you say? He's one of the best ever. And this after both TCGR cars were just not right early in the month.

No, Sato had a run and Dario chop-blocked him.

To be fair - Franchitti held his line - Sato just went where his old tires didn't stick - he should have waited for a last second slingshot.

Knowing Sato's "style"...I'm impressed he made it 499 miles.

He should have just waited. Now we have to see Ashley and her stupid, floppy hat.:mad:

I think she was thinking it was the Kentucky derby. Cracked up when the announcer said "we know she can count to three" I was like what? I wonder if Chip is even going to Charlotte?

To be fair - Franchitti held his line - Sato just went where his old tires didn't stick - he should have waited for a last second slingshot.

Knowing Sato's "style"...I'm impressed he made it 499 miles.

Yep, nevermind, just saw the replay. Franchitti moved up and gave Sato room. Sato made a bonehead move.

Yep, nevermind. Franchitti moved up and gave Sato room. Sato made a bonehead move.

I don't think I'd fault Sato either. It was probably earlier than it should have been, but with the Indy 500 on the line, I can't say it turns out any differently if he waits until turn 3. That was just a plain race.

Overall it was a great race for Indy though...much better than some of them in the recent past. I'm somewhat surprised that the cars held up so well in the heat - no blown engines that I saw.

Also - good thing for Dario that they can replace those "nose cones" so quickly.

Dumbass Sato criticizing Dario for not "moving up" on the last lap of the Indianapolis 500...what a moron.

I would have loved to see the interviewer give him the old "Back to the Future" knock on the forehead and say "McSato...are you home?"

Sato just needed to be patient there. He had it won and just threw it away. 100% his fault.

To Sato's defense he had a really good run on him but the only way he would of completed the pass would be with the tires under the white line.

Agreed - and he did make a similar pass earlier in the race - but he should have taken into account the old tires. That move may have worked on fresh rubber. Basically, he would have had a better chance on the final straightaway (IMHO).

Agreed - and he did make a similar pass earlier in the race - but he should have taken into account the old tires. That move may have worked on fresh rubber. Basically, he would have had a better chance on the final straightaway (IMHO).

Yeah but he may of had to much momentum going into turn one, if he went for the breaks or let off at all Dixon and Kanaan would of pounced and Franchitti would of rode off in the mean time.

Sato sucks. I'm so tired of not seeing any Americans do well in this series and the ones who are in here are so very hard to root for. I do like Ryan Hunter Reay though but Marco is a huge crybaby.

Good race though, towards the end I was rooting for Tony Kanaan. Oh well, at least Power didn't win.

and ps Brent Musburger needs to retire. He was awful.

Everyone that has complained about the lack of American drivers in the series should take notice of Newgarden and Clauson. I know there has been a lot of flack about Marco and Graham Rahal under performing, but I would like to see Newgarden or Clauson with a top team like Penske.

I was so happy to see Newgarden win the Indylights Championship last year. He's my only hope anymore to finally get an American who can actually be something. Clauson doesn't have a full time ride so it's hard to judge him yet.

It seems Indy car drivers cry too damn much about blocking. I always thought the object of racing was to win, not let the guy in second drive by you on the last lap.

...Oh well, at least Power didn't win...

Conway took car of that. I was somewhat stunned by A.J.'s post wreck interview (serenity now?)...he had a good car and his driver was moving up fast. Then Conway hits his own fuel guy - gets a drive through - then wrecks himself and Power getting back up to speed. Talk about self-inflicted injuries. He was doing great and then just blew it.

Note to Conway: When you find yourself in a hole..stop digging :(.

I plan on going to the Brickyard 400. Where is the best place to sit?

On your tv like VADirt said. It's really not worth going to, I've never gone to the Brickyard but I always wanted to see the Indy 500 live and once was enough for me. I'd never go again.

I also sat in turn 4, and like someone posted earlier, you can see the cars coming out of turn 3, all of turn 4 and the straightaway and turning into 1. It's probably the best place to sit but the its so uncomfortably hot and it's by far the worst seats, hell you can't even call them that cause they are bleachers. There is no leg room whatsoever and I'm not even that tall.

It seems Indy car drivers cry too damn much about blocking. I always thought the object of racing was to win, not let the guy in second drive by you on the last lap.

I don't like Dario but he did nothing wrong. It's the last lap and Sato thinks he's suppose to roll over and give it away? I think not.

Exactly...and really...Dario just held his line. WTHeck did Sato expect? Did he really expect his opponent to intentionally move up the track on the last lap of the Indy500 to allow him to make a Bonzai pass? If there were 3 or 4 laps to go Dario probably would have - knowing he had time to set Sato up for a pass....but on the last lap? No way.

That's why they lost at Midway :salute:

(kidding of course...I was actually pulling for Sato)

Sato sucks. I'm so tired of not seeing any Americans do well in this series and the ones who are in here are so very hard to root for. I do like Ryan Hunter Reay though but Marco is a huge crybaby.

Good race though, towards the end I was rooting for Tony Kanaan. Oh well, at least Power didn't win.

and ps Brent Musburger needs to retire. He was awful.

I like Hildebrand, and yeah Musburger puts so much more passion into college football telecasts.

Back
Top Bottom