2014 Richmond - Toyota Owners 400 - Pre Race Thread

Kevins comments about HP reduction causing tire failures didn't make any sense. How would a HP reduction result in higher corner speeds? o_O Are they talking about making the cars lighter too?
Slower entry speed allows them to carry into the corner further creating higher overall corner speed.

@TheOrangeCone

Jimmie Johnson wears short sleeves to media availability just to prove to everyone he does NOT have poison oak.

Kevins comments about HP reduction causing tire failures didn't make any sense. How would a HP reduction result in higher corner speeds? o_O Are they talking about making the cars lighter too?
A little more on this.....

Both Johnson and Harvick said Trevor Bayne ran a restrictor plate during Michigan test a couple wks ago and corner speed went up.

@jeff_gluck

Jimmie Johnson on possible NASCAR engine HP reduction: "Every driver and team I've spoken to is not up for a horsepower reduction."

BmEZ7ZSIMAAJqBq.jpg:large

Right with you man. No worries. Appreciate the resolution.

I completely agree with you on JGR--this will be a complete benchmark for them. Can't blame horsepower here. Honestly, I have no idea how they will unload. I am pretty stressed about it. Hoping for the best. Not 100% confident right now. Actually, pretty worried. We shall see.

I absolutely respect the Penske way. I followed Penske pretty close years ago in Champ Car--Al Unser Jr. fan. I like the white shirts and black pants thing. The cars are impeccably prepared. Beautiful. It is this preparation and attention to detail that has them where they are. I would put my money on Brad/Joey over Delana's wife right now because the consistency amongst the whole team is there whereas SHR has been inconsistent, and the performance isn't across the board. Penske is the benchmark. I have my opinions about the Denny/Joey thing, but I can tell you this....Joey has arrived, and I am pretty surprised. Eating crow honestly. The target is Penske. What is so awesome about this sport is that I can't wait to see if we can catch your guys. Best of luck, and enjoy the race man! Thanks again for the conversation and everything.
I'm actually quite surprised that they are as strong as they are. I mean I knew they did a lot during the off season as far as R&D and putting together new cars and testing at several different tracks. They didn't show speed in team testing though and I thought they were behind at first. Im excited about all of it. It's like Roger just shook his head and said "I need to put more into NASCAR".. and boom...success. The Joey/Brad combo is a great one.. I think the youth has somewhat revitalized Penske. I didn't follow them much the first few years as a fan.. it was around when Brad broke his ankle then started winning that I became interested really. Then he won the cup the next year and my driver was headed over there to have the best season of his career. Obviously I followed JGR closely for a while.. I rooted all of them on but with Joey never having success there I just didn't really have faith in the team. Especially after seeing Adam Stevens get him 9 wins in 2012 in NNS... I knew it was the people he was working with. Between the whole Zippy thing and Hamlin never was the best team mate... then I heard Joey say that the new cup cars felt more like a nationwide car and I knew it was only a matter of time until he broke out. I can't wait to see whats in store for the next oh I duno couple decades or so lol... It's good seeing a team come together like this... they've done some impressive stuff. I think Team Penske is the perfect example of the way a team working together is the recipe for success.

@dennyhamlin Yes!!! “@jeff_gluck: .@JimmieJohnson: "In my heart, I feel we need more short tracks on the schedule." Can I get an amen??”

I'm actually quite surprised that they are as strong as they are. I mean I knew they did a lot during the off season as far as R&D and putting together new cars and testing at several different tracks. They didn't show speed in team testing though and I thought they were behind at first. Im excited about all of it. It's like Roger just shook his head and said "I need to put more into NASCAR".. and boom...success. The Joey/Brad combo is a great one.. I think the youth has somewhat revitalized Penske. I didn't follow them much the first few years as a fan.. it was around when Brad broke his ankle then started winning that I became interested really. Then he won the cup the next year and my driver was headed over there to have the best season of his career. Obviously I followed JGR closely for a while.. I rooted all of them on but with Joey never having success there I just didn't really have faith in the team. Especially after seeing Adam Stevens get him 9 wins in 2012 in NNS... I knew it was the people he was working with. Between the whole Zippy thing and Hamlin never was the best team mate... then I heard Joey say that the new cup cars felt more like a nationwide car and I knew it was only a matter of time until he broke out. I can't wait to see whats in store for the next oh I duno couple decades or so lol... It's good seeing a team come together like this... they've done some impressive stuff. I think Team Penske is the perfect example of the way a team working together is the recipe for success.

Roger Penske is an amazing man. In Portland, OR during the Champ Car weekend, you used to be able to get really close to everything. When he would walk by before practice, all I would have to do is say, "Good morning, Mr. Penske," and he would say, "Why good morning, what's your name and where are you from?" He would see my Unser stuff on, and go into a 5 minute run down of the set up, how fast Al was, and where they thought the direction might go. The man is the real deal, and I have tremendous respect for him. TRD had tremendous respect for him with he was with them. What he is doing is not a surprise to me at all. If this comes down to an organization v. organization as it very well could, I call advantage Penske. Gonna be fun chasing your guys.

Slower entry speed allows them to carry into the corner further creating higher overall corner speed.

you can only go around a corner so fast, it is the same speed, the straightaways would be the difference. Doesn't have anything to do with the tires. Nationwide cars run the same tires as the cup cars most of the time. Cars would be easier to drive at a slower speed unless they changed up the aero or suspensions. Kevin probably thinks he has an edge with the motors the way they are.

Roger Penske is an amazing man. In Portland, OR during the Champ Car weekend, you used to be able to get really close to everything. When he would walk by before practice, all I would have to do is say, "Good morning, Mr. Penske," and he would say, "Why good morning, what's your name and where are you from?" He would see my Unser stuff on, and go into a 5 minute run down of the set up, how fast Al was, and where they thought the direction might go. The man is the real deal, and I have tremendous respect for him.

That reminds me of when I was little and my dad would take me to the Roush Racing shop. This was before they all took the "Garage Mahal" route and made big fancy shops, but fans could only see a trophy room, a viewing room, and a souvenir shop. At the Roush shop, they'd let my dad and I walk basically anywhere except the fab shop. One time, we ended up in a conference room while the shop guys were watching qualifying at Indy, and they signed my cast on my broken arm. Another time, I got a tour of Mark's Busch Series hauler, top and bottom. I'm guessing there aren't many NASCAR shops like that anymore.

Roger Penske is an amazing man. In Portland, OR during the Champ Car weekend, you used to be able to get really close to everything. When he would walk by before practice, all I would have to do is say, "Good morning, Mr. Penske," and he would say, "Why good morning, what's your name and where are you from?" He would see my Unser stuff on, and go into a 5 minute run down of the set up, how fast Al was, and where they thought the direction might go. The man is the real deal, and I have tremendous respect for him. TRD had tremendous respect for him with he was with them. What he is doing is not a surprise to me at all. If this comes down to an organization v. organization as it very well could, I call advantage Penske. Gonna be fun chasing your guys.
I loved that road course in Portland. One of the many classic IndyCar tracks I wish they would return too.

We can say all that we want on here but the teams are the ones with the numbers. I gotta go with what they are saying over the engineers on this forum.

Teams don't want it because it is going to cost money to make a change. All their flow data, cam profiles and even cam positioning are affected. Taint simple to just make a horsepower change Brian.

@bobpockrass

latest Natl Weather Service forecast for Richmond says 40%chc rain 2-5pm, 80% 5-8p, 21% 8-11pm; just 2%chc rain Saturday.

A little more on this.....

Both Johnson and Harvick said Trevor Bayne ran a restrictor plate during Michigan test a couple wks ago and corner speed went up.

Strange indeed. Sounds like the drivers aren't getting the most out of that extra HP. Just one more thing I don't understand.

Looking like Gordon doesn't have the speed so far this weekend....ugh.

Alan needs to work on it.

@jeff_gluck

Ambrose says he’s going to try and “stomp on Kyle Busch and Dale Jr and everyone else.” A million bucks for charity from Stanley if he wins.

BmEPg8UIUAAG1t8.jpg:large

Last time a group of guys were racing for a million bucks, I seem to remember a certain old man winning instead. :headbang:

Rain has stopped, they're drying the track, we're gonna race.

Back
Top Bottom