2015 Las Vegas - Kobalt Tolls 400 - Pre Race Thread

B_dYw32WwAAjCd1.jpg

All times are ET

SATURDAY, MARCH 7:

ON TRACK-- 11:30 a.m.-12:25 p.m.: NASCAR Sprint Cup Series practice, FOX Sports 2 (Follow live)
-- 12:45 p.m.: NASCAR XFINITY Series Coors Light Pole Qualifying, FOX Sports 2 (Follow live)
-- 2:30-3:25 p.m.: NASCAR Sprint Cup Series final practice, FOX Sports 1 (Follow live)
-- 4 p.m.: NASCAR XFINITY Series Boyd Gaming 300, FOX Sports 1 (200 laps, 300 miles) (Follow live)

PRESS CONFERENCES (Watch live)
-- 11 a.m.: Brendan Gaughan
-- Post-NASCAR XFINITY Series race

Did you not? Reply if you're serious about needing it explained and I'll take a shot at it.

I thought that they were supposed to go out in bunches and wreck each other . Or at least , sit on pit road until it's too late . Nobody wrecked , nobody was in the way of guys coming at full speed , the fastest car got the pole . What gives ? Who decided that?

So..... Nine drivers qualified ahead of last years pole speed. So much for the horsepower reduction being a speed killer. Sure, many are going to chalk it up to temps and the like but it is not such a detriment that many seemed to think it would be. The sky is still up there. Who would have thought that you'd have to slow them down to go faster? o_O

Reactions: Pat
So..... Nine drivers qualified ahead of last years pole speed. So much for the horsepower reduction being a speed killer. Sure, many are going to chalk it up to temps and the like but it is not such a detriment that many seemed to think it would be. The sky is still up there. Who would have thought that you'd have to slow them down to go faster? o_O

Another great point . What's up with the horsepower being down . What's up with old qualifying under new rules ? What's up with Jeff Gordon winning all the poles and being way down in the points? What's up with Kurt beimg free to walk the streets but not drive them . Stuff's just not makin sense any more . :(

@MartySmithESPN

During the past 2 seasons, 12 races were run on 1.5-mile tracks: all won by either a Hendrick driver, a Penske driver or Kevin Harvick (SHR)

Reactions: Pat
Another great point . What's up with the horsepower being down . What's up with old qualifying under new rules ? What's up with Jeff Gordon winning all the poles and being way down in the points? What's up with Kurt beimg free to walk the streets but not drive them . Stuff's just not makin sense any more . :(
:XXROFL:

I thought that they were supposed to go out in bunches and wreck each other . Or at least , sit on pit road until it's too late . Nobody wrecked , nobody was in the way of guys coming at full speed , the fastest car got the pole . What gives ? Who decided that?

Both Ganassi cars sitting one two after the second run had me scratching my head.

Both Ganassi cars sitting one two after the second run had me scratching my head.

I think that they are finally a two car team with two good drivers feeding off each other . They've added some team members too . They are finally ready in my opinion . I think they are better than Roush , MWR and RCR , we'll see .

Looks like the car changes might have shook things up a bit. Besides the car changes there is a new tire combo they are using. I know the temps helped, but they kept getting faster for the most part in the final rounds.

@MartySmithESPN

During the past 2 seasons, 12 races were run on 1.5-mile tracks: all won by either a Hendrick driver, a Penske driver or Kevin Harvick (SHR)
Does he really mean 2014 + Atlanta? Because JGR kicked ass on these tracks in 2013.

@MartySmithESPN

That's parity right there :rolleyes:. So if your favorite driver doesn't drive for one of those teams, go on a date, mow the lawn, cure cancer, find something better to do

Keselowski crew caught in attempt to manipulate fenders: Brad Keselowski was pulled from pit road just minutes before qualifying at Las Vegas Motor Speedway after NASCAR officials discovered the Team Penske crew had pulled out the fenders around the wheel wells on the #2 Miller Ford. Keselowski's crew was forced to return to NASCAR's template inspection room prior to returning to the track for the first round of qualifying, missing the first six minutes of the session.

From here: http://www.jayski.com/cupnews.htm#20150307c

Keselowski crew caught in attempt to manipulate fenders: Brad Keselowski was pulled from pit road just minutes before qualifying at Las Vegas Motor Speedway after NASCAR officials discovered the Team Penske crew had pulled out the fenders around the wheel wells on the #2 Miller Ford. Keselowski's crew was forced to return to NASCAR's template inspection room prior to returning to the track for the first round of qualifying, missing the first six minutes of the session.

From here: http://www.jayski.com/cupnews.htm#20150307c
But...I was told Penske doesn't live in the grey area.

“There have been times when I’ve had conversations with Roger and ask him why are certain things not done on the car and he’s told me point blank, ‘Hey, this is something that is a little grey and I don’t live in the grey area,’” Keslowski revealed.

He went on to say that Penske refuses to run his teams with that philosophy and Keselowski wouldn’t have it any other way. When they take the checkered flag on Saturday and Sunday afternoons, fans, teams and others alike won’t be able to question it. There won’t be any doubt, discredit or asterisks next to a Penske victory in the record books.

Says Keselowski, “I have a tremendous amount of respect for that. It’s easy to fall into temptation of sorts to push it a little bit harder. I think we all come back to it sometime, whatever individual code we have, and mine is a reflection of who I drive for. That can be tough. It can certainly be tough.”

http://www.speedwaymedia.com/?p=18889

"They just wanted to see it pushed in a little bit," said crew chief Paul Wolfe. "I'm not sure (if it was changed). The officials were out on the grid after the guys got through inspection to make sure guys don't have their skirts out too far. They didn't like how wide ours was and we had to come back (through inspection) and push it in and then get on our way."

NASCAR’s Kerry Tharp said teams were warned prior to Speedweeks at Daytona International Speedway not to pull out the side skirts following inspection and prior qualifying. Tharp would not speculate as to what/or if penalties would be forthcoming.

Asked if he was expecting any penalties, Wolfe said, "No, I'm not expecting any."

But...I was told Penske doesn't live in the grey area.

“There have been times when I’ve had conversations with Roger and ask him why are certain things not done on the car and he’s told me point blank, ‘Hey, this is something that is a little grey and I don’t live in the grey area,’” Keslowski revealed.

He went on to say that Penske refuses to run his teams with that philosophy and Keselowski wouldn’t have it any other way. When they take the checkered flag on Saturday and Sunday afternoons, fans, teams and others alike won’t be able to question it. There won’t be any doubt, discredit or asterisks next to a Penske victory in the record books.

Says Keselowski, “I have a tremendous amount of respect for that. It’s easy to fall into temptation of sorts to push it a little bit harder. I think we all come back to it sometime, whatever individual code we have, and mine is a reflection of who I drive for. That can be tough. It can certainly be tough.”

http://www.speedwaymedia.com/?p=18889
Hypocrite. There's zero tolerance for that this year and Wolfe admitted that just after inspection they had pulled them out and had to go back and push them back in to spec. They were caught cheating. Plain and simple.

wonder when two Ganassi drivers have been one and two at the top of qualifying before, oh wise one. ;)

McMurray won 2 poles last year, Larson 1. They also are consistently top 5 cars in practice/qualifying

Hypocrite. There's zero tolerance for that this year and Wolfe admitted that just after inspection they had pulled them out and had to go back and push them back in to spec. They were caught cheating. Plain and simple.
probably need to let Nascar decide, you still have your Gordo glasses on from last year.:XXROFL:

probably need to let Nascar decide, you still have your Gordo glasses on from last year.:XXROFL:
Seems like you'll never change your habit of always challenging other posters to a pissing contest instead of just posting your opinion like the rest of us.

Good to see the speed of Vickers in his first weekend back. That 24 doesn't have the race-trim speed they had all of last year yet..

Ragan in the wall with a minute left in final practice, they say they're going to the backup. OUCH!

Mears and Gordon have damage somehow too, says FOX.

Good to see the speed of Vickers in his first weekend back. That 24 doesn't have the race-trim speed they had all of last year yet..

Ragan in the wall with a minute left in final practice, they say they're going to the backup. OUCH!

Mears and Gordon have damage somehow too, says FOX.
Said the 24 hit something. Damage to the nose around the right headlight.

Back
Top Bottom