2016 Bristol - Bass Pro Shops NRA Night Race - Pre Race Thread

99ed8aa33178c9eccd2c1a6ef81cea15.jpg

This is one I lifted from DP awhile back, awesome picture :D Compared to the one above, the track has come a loooonnnng way! To me doesn't matter what the track is now or was then, they all have the same surface to try and win on. I have been 6 times to the night race and it is one of a kind.

View attachment 20404
I think that's the one that used to be available from the track as a 14" x 32" poster. If it is, it's from the August 2000 race, Ironhead's last race there. You can match the car positions on the pylon with the cars' positions relative to the S/F line. That would be Bobby Labonte and Dale Jarrett entering turn 4.

I think that's the one that used to be available from the track as a 14" x 32" poster. If it is, it's from the August 2000 race, Ironhead's last race there. You can match the car positions on the pylon with the cars' positions relative to the S/F line. That would be Bobby Labonte and Dale Jarrett entering turn 4.
I'm pretty sure that pic was taken on August 24, 2013. In 2000, Winston was still the sponsor.

Cool. They both were apparently taken from the same position, and a roughly the same stage of sunset.
There are so many pics taken around that track that make it very difficult to tell the era. I had to match it on a reverse image lookup to come up with that date. That particular pic was used in a few different advertising sections of various websites.

from jayski.....

For any of you that are in the Bristol area next week, here are some of the driver appearances for Food City Race Night, Bristol, Main Street.....

• Greg Biffle is scheduled to appear at Food City Race Night in Bristol, TN on Thursday, August 18 at 5:00 PM to sign autographs. See the Food City Race Night page for more event info.
  • Eric McClure is scheduled to appear at Food City Race Night in Bristol, TN on Thursday, August 18 at 5:00 PM to sign autographs. See the Food City Race Night page for more event info.
  • Brad Keselowski and Larry McReynolds are scheduled to appear at Food City Race Night in Bristol, TN on Thursday, August 18 at 5:45 PM. The duo will appear at the Pepsi stage for a Q&A session. See the Food City Race Night page for more event info.
  • NASCAR President Mike Helton, Larry McReynolds, and Richard Petty are scheduled to appear at Food City Race Night in Bristol, TN on Thursday, August 18 at 6:00 PM, as part of the evening's welcome ceremonies. See the Food City Race Night page for more event info.
  • Austin Dillon is scheduled to appear at Food City Race Night in Bristol, TN on Thursday, August 18 at 6:00 PM to sign autographs. 250 Wristbands will be given out at Austin's line beginning at 4:00. See the Food City Race Night page for more event info.
  • Brad Keselowski is scheduled to appear at Food City Race Night in Bristol, TN on Thursday, August 18 at 6:00 PM to sign autographs. 100 Wristbands will be given out at Brad's line beginning at 1:00. See the Food City Race Night page for more event info.
  • Justin Allgaier is scheduled to appear at Food City Race Night in Bristol, TN on Thursday, August 18 at 6:00 PM to sign autographs. See the Food City Race Night page for more event info.
  • Ricky Stenhouse, Jr. is scheduled to appear at Food City Race Night in Bristol, TN on Thursday, August 18 at 6:00 PM to sign autographs. See the Food City Race Night page for more event info.
  • Jordan Anderson is scheduled to appear at Food City Race Night in Bristol, TN on Thursday, August 18 to sign autographs, time, TBA. See the Food City Race Night page for more event info
Too bad, this event is not nearly what was a decade or so ago. Then again, what is?

A few other tip for those of you that may be going to Bristol for the first time or maybe you've been there and haven't done these things.....

Wednesday's Whelen Modified & Truck race - Get the general admission ticket and move down to the start finish line at about the flag stand height. You can still see the entire race from this location and you are right on top of the action. Just keep in mind the sun will be in your face for the beginning of the evening.

Thursday's Hauler Parade - While it can be entertaining to see all the haulers heading south on 11E, it's a heck of a lot more fun to watch them pull those rigs into the track through the turn #3 gate and then down the banking. Not to mention the ballet that takes place to get them all parked in the infield.

Also, if you've got kids or are just interested in this type of thing yourself, there are two cavern's within a short distance of the track. Each are worth a visit.

A few other tip for those of you that may be going to Bristol for the first time or maybe you've been there and haven't done these things.....

Wednesday's Whelen Modified & Truck race - Get the general admission ticket and move down to the start finish line at about the flag stand height. You can still see the entire race from this location and you are right on top of the action. Just keep in mind the sun will be in your face for the beginning of the evening. ...
And if you want to avoid that sun, move to turn 3 (assuming they still open it up for this event), or as close as you can get. It will have been in shade most of the afternoon and can be 10 degrees cooler than the front.

This is one I lifted from DP awhile back, awesome picture :D Compared to the one above, the track has come a loooonnnng way! To me doesn't matter what the track is now or was then, they all have the same surface to try and win on. I have been 6 times to the night race and it is one of a kind.

View attachment 20404

It sounds like you started going around the time I quit going. I am glad you like it and for most of my years at BIR/BMS I had a great time too.

And if you want to avoid that sun, move to turn 3 (assuming they still open it up for this event), or as close as you can get. It will have been in shade most of the afternoon and can be 10 degrees cooler than the front.
Yeah, the sun's a b!tch but the location is worth it. Really though, it doesn't matter where you're at..... You're at Bristol and it don't get much better than that. If you're there and you're not enjoying it then you're not doing it right.

I know I will get hate mail for this, but, I liked it best when they changed it so they could go three wide fairly comfortably through the corners, for sure there was a lot of two wide close racing all the time. JMHO

That being said, I like the night race period, no matter what.:D
You're not alone on that thought.

I'm going in 2017 (pretty much committed myself). Looking at Bristol Campground. Anyone got expierience there (or any other Bristol camping information really)?

Season tickets. Our 3rd time to Bristol in August (2013, 2015, 2016). Can't wait! We sell our spring tix and attend in the fall. This year first time we will go both Friday and Saturday night
We stay in Asheville downtown and are there Thursday-Tuesday. Just like we have done in the past. Won't stay anywhere else. Killer beer and awesome food.

Season tickets. Our 3rd time to Bristol in August (2013, 2015, 2016). Can't wait! We sell our spring tix and attend in the fall. This year first time we will go both Friday and Saturday night
We stay in Asheville downtown and are there Thursday-Tuesday. Just like we have done in the past. Won't stay anywhere else. Killer beer and awesome food.
I haven't been to Bristol in 4 or 5 years, but I also stay in Asheville. The hotels aren't marked up, it's good interstate 90% of the way to the track, there's stuff for the non-racing family members to see and do, and (like you said) plenty of awesome food. I recommend the white water rafting trips run on various rivers by Nantahala Outdoor Center.

I always wondered where people stay at Bristol. I figured, like Martinsville, there were a lot of campers. If I ever did Bristol I'd probably look into the Blacksburg area. Although, the August race is right around college move-in time...

The NASCAR Sprint Cup, XFINTIY and Camping World Truck Series will gather for a tripleheader showing at Bristol Motor Speedway this week.

Note: All times are ET

WEDNESDAY, AUG. 17:

ON TRACK
-- 9:30-10:25 a.m.: NASCAR Camping World Truck Series first practice, FS1 (Follow live)
-- 11:30 a.m.-12:25 p.m.:NASCAR Camping World Truck Series final practice, FS1 (Follow live)
-- 4:45 p.m.: NASCAR Camping World Truck Series Keystone Light Pole Qualifying, FS2 (Follow live)
-- 8:30 p.m.: NASCAR Camping World Truck Series UNOH 200 (200 laps, 106.6 miles), FS1 (Follow live)

THURSDAY, AUG. 18:

ON TRACK
-- 1-2:25 p.m.: NASCAR XFINITY Series first practice, NBC Sports App (Follow live)
-- 3:30-4:25 p.m.: NASCAR XFINITY Series final practice, NBC Sports App (Follow live)

FRIDAY, AUG. 19:

ON TRACK
-- 10-11:25 a.m.: NASCAR Sprint Cup Series first practice, NBC Sports App (Follow live)
-- 12:30-1:55 p.m.: NASCAR Sprint Cup Series final practice, NBC Sports App & USA (Follow live)
-- 3:15 p.m.: NASCAR XFINITY Series Coors Light Pole Qualifying, NBC Sports App (Follow live)
-- 5:45 p.m.: NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Coors Light Pole Qualifying, USA (Follow live)
-- 7:30 p.m.: NASCAR XFINITY Series Food City 300 (300 laps, 159.9 miles), USA (Follow live)

SATURDAY, AUG. 20:

ON TRACK
-- 8 p.m.: NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Bass Pro Shops NRA Night Race (500 laps, 266.5 miles), NBCSN (Follow live)

The NASCAR Sprint Cup, XFINTIY and Camping World Truck Series will gather for a tripleheader showing at Bristol Motor Speedway this week.

Note: All times are ET

WEDNESDAY, AUG. 17:

ON TRACK
-- 9:30-10:25 a.m.: NASCAR Camping World Truck Series first practice, FS1 (Follow live)
-- 11:30 a.m.-12:25 p.m.:NASCAR Camping World Truck Series final practice, FS1 (Follow live)
-- 4:45 p.m.: NASCAR Camping World Truck Series Keystone Light Pole Qualifying, FS2 (Follow live)
-- 8:30 p.m.: NASCAR Camping World Truck Series UNOH 200 (200 laps, 106.6 miles), FS1 (Follow live)

THURSDAY, AUG. 18:

ON TRACK
-- 1-2:25 p.m.: NASCAR XFINITY Series first practice, NBC Sports App (Follow live)
-- 3:30-4:25 p.m.: NASCAR XFINITY Series final practice, NBC Sports App (Follow live)

FRIDAY, AUG. 19:

ON TRACK
-- 10-11:25 a.m.: NASCAR Sprint Cup Series first practice, NBC Sports App (Follow live)
-- 12:30-1:55 p.m.: NASCAR Sprint Cup Series final practice, NBC Sports App & USA (Follow live)
-- 3:15 p.m.: NASCAR XFINITY Series Coors Light Pole Qualifying, NBC Sports App (Follow live)
-- 5:45 p.m.: NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Coors Light Pole Qualifying, USA (Follow live)
-- 7:30 p.m.: NASCAR XFINITY Series Food City 300 (300 laps, 159.9 miles), USA (Follow live)

SATURDAY, AUG. 20:

ON TRACK
-- 8 p.m.: NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Bass Pro Shops NRA Night Race (500 laps, 266.5 miles), NBCSN (Follow live)
What's this frigging sports app business. These idiots are further distancing themselves from the core fans. I'm pissed. Assholes. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

What's this frigging sports app business. These idiots are further distancing themselves from the core fans. I'm pissed. Assholes. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
I've been using it for the Olympics. It's been pretty good. Then again, I haven't been able to sit in front of the TV lately.

Just heard on the radio that they're polishing and adding chemicals to the bottom of the track in an attempt to create 2 lanes. The chemicals are supposed to encourage rubber sticking and creating a new groove.

Really want to skip this months meeting so I can stay home and watch the race live, but then I give up the one time that the distance is less than a mile from me

Love this race. Love it! Let's get it on!!!!!!

And he makes a move inside!!! And.... And........ And he falls back in line.... Because you can't pass inside at Bristol these days... You see, uh, they decided to... They thought.... What they were TRYING to do was......... Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

And he makes a move inside!!! And.... And........ And he falls back in line.... Because you can't pass inside at Bristol these days... You see, uh, they decided to... They thought.... What they were TRYING to do was......... Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Maybe the polishing and chemicals will help?

And you couldn't pass outside on the old config. If it's going to be a single groove (and I don't think it is), what diff does it make whether it's inside or out?

from jayski.....

NASCAR will not increase timing lines at Bristol: NASCAR confirmed Monday to NBC Sports that there will be no pit road timing zones added for this week's races at Bristol Motor Speedway. The track already has 14 such timing zones. NASCAR has added timing zones since the Sprint Cup and Xfinity races at New Hampshire Motor Speedway in July and begun enforcing those zones since the July Cup and Xfinity races at Indianapolis Motor Speedway. There were 18 timing zones at Pocono Raceway after those were doubled for the Camping World Truck and Sprint Cup races last month. In the three Cup races that have had the additional timing zones enforced, pit road speeding penalties are up 375 percent compared to the three races before NASCAR made the change. NASCAR is not making a change at Bristol because it is comfortable with the timing zones there. In the last four Cup races at Bristol, there have been an average of 11.3 speeding penalties issued

And you couldn't pass outside on the old config. If it's going to be a single groove (and I don't think it is), what diff does it make whether it's inside or out?

It makes a big difference. If the single groove is on the bottom, you can easily get under someone and bump them up the racetrack to get them out of the way. That's the way "old" Bristol worked. If the single groove is on top you still can't pass cleanly but you also can't bump and run someone since you're right up against the wall.

Back
Top Bottom