2016 Watkins Glen - Cheez-It 350 at the Glen - Pre Race Thread

dpkimmel2001

Team Owner
The NASCAR Sprint Cup Series and NASCAR XFINTIY Series will gather for a doubleheader weekend at Watkins Glen International this week.

Note: All times are ET

THURSDAY, AUG. 4:

ON TRACK
-- 1-2:25 p.m.: NASCAR XFINITY Series first practice (Follow live)
-- 3:30-4:55 p.m.: NASCAR XFINITY Series second practice (Follow live)

FRIDAY, AUG. 5:

ON TRACK
-- 10-10:55 a.m.: NASCAR XFINITY Series final practice, NBCSN (Follow live)
-- 12:30-1:55 p.m.: NASCAR Sprint Cup Series first practice, NBCSN (Follow live)
-- 3-4:25 p.m.: NASCAR Sprint Cup Series final practice, NBCSN (Follow live)
-- 4:45 p.m.: NASCAR XFINITY Series Coors Light Pole Qualifying, NBCSN (Follow live)

GARAGECAM (Watch live)
-- 9:30 a.m.: NASCAR XFINITY Series
-- noon: NASCAR Sprint Cup Series
SATURDAY, AUG. 6:

ON TRACK
-- 12:15 p.m.: NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Coors Light Pole Qualifying, CNBC (Follow live)
-- 2 p.m.: NASCAR XFINITY Series Zippo 200 at The Glen (82 laps, 200.9 miles), CNBC (Follow live)

SUNDAY, AUG. 7:

ON TRACK

-- 2:30 p.m.: NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Cheez-It 355 at The Glen (90 laps, 220.5 miles), USA (Follow live)

If there were one road course that deserved a second date or even a Chase spot, this is it. I don't care what anyone says, The Glen is by far the best of the two road courses on the Cup schedule. I envy each and every one of you that have the chance to go next weekend. It's been a long time since I've been to that race and it's probably the closest for me to travel to. I'll get back again some day.

If there were one road course that deserved a second date or even a Chase spot, this is it. I don't care what anyone says, The Glen is by far the best of the two road courses on the Cup schedule. I envy each and every one of you that have the chance to go next weekend. It's been a long time since I've been to that race and it's probably the closest for me to travel to. I'll get back again some day.
I agree completely. I love the Glen. Rarely ever a bad race. The battle with Busch, Kes and Ambrose a few years ago is still one of my top five finishes ever.

I live about 3 hours from the track but never have attended. It's easily my favorite race to watch on tv. The Glen is the perfect road course for lumbering "stock cars".

Hopefully the weather cooperates. The Poconos and Finger Lake region experience similar weather in the summer....

Love this race. It's at my favorite track and sponsored by my favorite snack. What's not to love?

We've see some awesome action at this track in more recent years. I sure hope this repave hasn't done anything to change that.

My brother & I used to go to this race all the time before I got married. This one was one of the most memorable ones for all the wrong reasons. We were sitting at the bottom of the hill, turn #2, leading up into the esses. We only had a view of the cars going down into turn #1 then head on, down the hill towards us in turn #2, finally up through the esses on to the back stretch. While we didn't have a view of the tragedy that unfolded at the end of the backstretch that day, we listened to it on our FM headsets. This was the day we lost JD McDuffie. His death that year brought about the 'bus stop' at the end of the backstretch that is there today. I believe he was also the last driver that was killed during a Cup race until the day we lost Dale Earnhardt.

Couldn't agree more!

So worth the trip for all - for us this will be our 16th straight year and the races are just a bonus! Seneca Lake, the Gorge, Wal-Mart :p, I could go on and on.

Couldn't agree more!

So worth the trip for all - for us this will be our 16th straight year and the races are just a bonus! Seneca Lake, the Gorge, Wal-Mart :p, I could go on and on.
Do you camp there? I need some good info on camping @ the track.

Untitled.jpg

Watkins Glen Last 10 Winners:

2006 - Kevin Harvick (Chevrolet)
2007 - Tony Stewart (Chevrolet)
2008 - Kyle Busch (Toyota)
2009 - Tony Stewart (Chevrolet)
2010 - Juan Pablo Montoya (Chevrolet)
2011 - Marcos Ambrose (Ford)
2012 - Marcos Ambrose (Ford)
2013 - Kyle Busch (Toyota)
2014 - AJ Allmendinger (Chevrolet)
2015 - Joey Logano (Ford)

Those are kinda unforgettable............

Especially the night before.

I love road racing!

Now....it just has to rain....

and the 10 win!

Yep. Mine also. There's only two we haven't been to in the northeast. Dover and Watkins Glen. I think we're going to make the spring three race western run next year. Las Vegas, Phoenix and Fontana. :D
Are you just kidding or for reals? Coz me and @BobbyFord will obviously be at Vegas and Fontana but I may squeeze in Phoenix with little persuasion. :D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom