2017 All Star Race Format

Does that mean you'll have to go to the tail end of the field in those races too? :rolleyes:

Really exciting to know that a car that dominates an entire race can lose to a late caution and a set of soft tires on a car that's been running 10th all day.

Gimmicks Gimmicks Gimmicks

This is one gimmick I would take every time instead of stages, playoffs, eliminations and all the other crap we got this year and before.

I absolutely love the multiple tire compound strategy potential not only for Charlotte but (hopefully) for 2018. My favorite aspect of F1 is the tire strategy and this could be an excellent addition to NASCAR. Top marks for whomever had the guts to suggest and implement this.

Obviously people will complain but that's nothing new.

Definitely a ballsy move. I just don't think it's super necessary for oval track racing. Love it in open wheel, though.

Yes F1 employs the tire strategy but they also put on the most boring racing in the world currently.

I really don't see it panning out well in this series. There's too many late race cautions and you'll see the majority of the teams saving those tires for later in the race. The stage breaks and so forth make it pointless to use them any sooner because of the way the field gets re-grouped time and time again imo.

Kind of liking the new ASR format, and the softer tire compound that the teams will get a set of, should make for an interesting event.

Going to hold out for if I like the idea of NASCAR allowing multiply tire compounds for the normal season, let's get past the ASR first.

And that green tire lettering for the softer compound tire is cool, I like it.

Yeeeeee haw. What's next, "power to pass?" That gimmick rocketed Cart racing into the mainstream, remember?

Cynics and haters will automatically label any Nascar initiative as a "gimmick" whether it is a legitimate aspect of competition or really is a gimmick. So I don't pay much attention to labels applied by them.

Tire strategy is as legitimate as any other aspect of set up or in-race strategy. Same as fuel savings. Same as suspension tuning. Same as short pitting. If Goodyear can supply (in 2018 and beyond) two different compounds without major cost or safety concerns, I don't know why that would not be good thing. There could be some fascinating strategy options, if it works out like racing most everywhere else.

OTOH, rules like "soft tires start at the rear"... that is a gimmick IMO, not a fan of that.

I'm honestly just sick of "strategy". The sport has been engineered to death, we don't need riddles and non stop chess matches on top of it. Fuel strategy alone is all the strategy I care to see.

Line 'em up and race the damn things like they were made to do.

It's already to the point where the fastest car doesn't often win, and I thought that was the purpose of this sport - to see who could get around the fastest. Not to be the most cunning and out think everyone.

The race will feature four stages (20 laps, 20 laps, 20 laps, 10 laps), totaling 70 laps of single-file racing, an ode to the 1992 edition of the same distance

Fixed

I like the softer tire option, adds an interesting twist although the part about going to the rear if you use them on the final segment is gimmicky. I'd like to see tire wear become more of a factor in all the races like it was at Darlington 2 years ago.

My big fear with having a softer option tire is that it will end up as a cop-out for Goodyear improving the regular tires. It's been a long struggle to get goodyear to bring tires that actually wear and fall off at most tracks but when they've done it the results have generally been good. But if we have a designated "soft" tire for each race goodyear might halt that progress and just tell teams to use the softs if they want fall off. We need the regular sets to wear properly before we start messing with multiple compounds.

Don't think the two compounds per race contemplated for 2018 is going to be cheap. Wonder if the RTA has chimed in?

http://www.nascar.com/en_us/news-me...board-for-event-charlotte-motor-speedway.html

The race format is as follows:

• The race will feature four stages (20 laps, 20 laps, 20 laps, 10 laps), totaling 70 laps, an ode to the 1992 edition of the same distance.

• The goal for all competitors: Earn a spot in the final 10-lap, 10-car stage.

• The winner of each of the first three stages will lock up a spot in the final stage, as long as they remain on the lead lap after the third stage.

• The cars with the best average finish in the first three stages will make up the remaining spots needed to fill the 10-car final stage.

• The remaining 10 cars will be lined up by average finish of the first three stages and given the option to pit. Exit off pit road determines starting order for final stage.

• The winner will be awarded $1,000,000.
Crew chief strategy has been at a premium throughout this season, and that won't change in the All-Star Race thanks to a unique opportunity granted each team: A coveted set of softer tires. Each team will have one set of these tires available to use at their discretion. A softer tire provides the car with more grip and, thus, speed. In other words, it's a game-changer. But there's a catch: Teams that choose to put on their softer tires to start the final stage must start behind those that choose regular tires.
The All Star race has seen it's better days IMO, just like other all star events in other sports it has become convoluted, stale, and boring. I think it has been 5 years since I watched one....yawn

The All-Star race honestly should be "gimmicky". It's the perfect avenue for casual fans to tune in and watch the best of the best compete for nothing more than bragging rights. Yes I do realize there is $1 million at stake, but we all know that is the last thing on the drivers' minds. This race is also a great way for NASCAR to experiment with different rules and race packages that cannot be achieved in ordinary test sessions. Have we all forgotten about double-file restarts? That is one of the best things to happen to this sport and it all began with the all-star race. This new optional tire compound strategy could be the next best thing. Keep an open mind and enjoy the race for what it is.

With that said, I wish this race would go even many steps further with experimenting with rules and such....no templates, no minimum/maximum ride heights or spoiler size, etc. This is the perfect opportunity for NASCAR, it's teams, and drivers to experiment. The worst thing that could happen is it is a flop and no points are on the line. Oh, wait...there aren't any points on the line....Hmmmm.....

I don't think they have announced the aero package for the cars yet. That could be coming later. Also haven't announced anything for 2018 testing like they did with Michigan last year, so I'm a little concerned.

Yes F1 employs the tire strategy but they also put on the most boring racing in the world currently.

I really don't see it panning out well in this series. There's too many late race cautions and you'll see the majority of the teams saving those tires for later in the race. The stage breaks and so forth make it pointless to use them any sooner because of the way the field gets re-grouped time and time again imo.
Tbf, F1 would probably bore you to levels you never even thought possible if they didn't have tire strategy. It's a bandaid (along with DRS) to try to compensate for their refusal to address aero issues. I do think five compounds is overkill though.

I kinda agree with your second point because it does seem like most races still turn into restart carnivals near the end. In an ideal world I think it would be interesting though.

... It's already to the point where the fastest car doesn't often win, and I thought that was the purpose of this sport - to see who could get around the fastest. ...
No, the purpose is to see who can complete the distance first. You can be the fastest all day long but if you have to make one more pit stop than I do, you're not getting there first.

C9NdlMCW0AAoK7V.jpg:large

I like that they try different things in the All Star race. I recall the current double file restart format was tried and adopted.

I can see it now. A winner of the first,or second segment, is automatically in the final segment. Their pit stall is past the start \ finish line on pit road. On the last lap of segment three, they pit for soft tires, because at that point they can't go a lap down. After getting the tires, they stay on the track. So they have soft tires, and start up front. Now everyone else has to stop and get the soft tires, or they have no chance. This is an unforeseen consequence of segment racing. If they want gimmicks, I suggest they have a ten lap race, no yellow flags, and a land rush start. It would get a lot of those casual fans they talk about, but since no other races have that format, they wouldn't become steady fans.

There comes a point when gimmicks become a decided side show in anything, especially sports. Nascar has reached that point this year, segment racing is fabricated excitement. The all star race should be 40 or 50 laps, no segments, if you want to pit go ahead, your choice. It's supposed to be an all out winner take all, double or triple the amount to the winner and you will see these guys race like hell.

Try this:

Limit the number of entrants to the last twelve winners. Nothing convoluted to get the celebrities in.

Set the starting line-up with a three lap run including a four tire 'n fuel pit stop.

For the race, set the number of laps to go farther than a fuel run. No phantom cautions. No pitting under caution.

Park anyone who goes a lap down ‘n call that the much-needed gimmick, initiative, enhancement or whatever else edgy thing you wanna call it.

Make the All Star event a race.

I see the "it's cool the bash anything NASCAR does" crowd is in full bloom. But c'mon, face it. The All Star Race is a gimmick in itself, just like every all star event in existence.

I personally love this format for the race. Ten cars, 10 laps, winner-take-all feel. And even better, they are saying only green flag laps count in the final 10.

Put it on in Martinsville under the criteria I set ‘n I’d be sittin’ somewhere near ya, Kimmel.

Make it 160 laps.

Back
Top Bottom