2017 All Star Race Format

You'd have to make it about 200 laps - 50/50/100. Even at that, I'm not sold.

Sell me, dp ;)

You overestimate a lousy 70 laps in 4 chunks. We've both been to M'ville races that had more caution laps than that. I suspect those were more entertaining than these 70 would be.
I'll put you down as a member of @BobbyFord's crew that won't care to take that one in then. No worries, all's good. Damn, & I was thinking of grilling up a few steaks after that event too. ;) You could still join us for that alone.

DP10 is gonna win this. Bank on it. GOOGOGOGOGOGO (the moon)

At least a stage,.....(the stars)

I'll put you down as a member of @BobbyFord's crew that won't care to take that one in then. No worries, all's good. Damn, & I was thinking of grilling up a few steaks after that event too. ;) You could still join us for that alone.
Oh, I see how this is going. First you get a high-falutin' All-Star race, and suddenly the famous hot dogs you couldn't get enough of are no longer good enough for you! :p

Oh, I see how this is going. First you get a high-falutin' All-Star race, and suddenly the famous hot dogs you couldn't get enough of are no longer good enough for you! :p
No worries, the hot dogs would still be purchased. It'd be sacrilegious not to partake in at least two. The steak dinner is just an added bonus to the post race routine. :cool:

The format looks decent other than the fact there should be more eliminated for the final segment.

I still wish NASCAR would put more effort into this race by rotating it among the dirt track, road course, and oval if they want to keep it in Charlotte.

The format looks decent other than the fact there should be more eliminated for the final segment.

I still wish NASCAR would put more effort into this race by rotating it among the dirt track, road course, and oval if they want to keep it in Charlotte.
The dirt track... I like your thinking!

I think it was Moody that said there are a number of drivers that have no desire to drive their cup cars on dirt. I don't think dirt racing is as big a deal to a lot of these guys as the fans think.

I love the way NASCAR experiments with format and softer tire compounds in a non-points race.

Teams should also ante up ($10k) to be in the All-Star race to make it personal. Half the pot goes to the Winner's charity, the other half to a NASCAR charity; plus, run a charity sticker on the cars and fire suit so each Team gets a little flash for their charity during the event...

I think it was Moody that said there are a number of drivers that have no desire to drive their cup cars on dirt. I don't think dirt racing is as big a deal to a lot of these guys as the fans think.
How many drivers do you think like running plate tracks?

How many drivers do you think like running plate tracks?
Plate races award points and a Chase spot. All Star races don't.

If a Cup driver wants to run a dirt race, I'm sure he or she can find a ride for Eldora. The Dillons don't seem to have any problem.

The Clash is a ton of valuable practice time under actual race conditions. Dirt racing offers nothing that would apply the rest of the season.

Adding a points race in the dirt to the Cup series would make NASCAR the most complete test of a Champion Driver in a premiere series.

But if you really wanted a spectacle, find a way to run these NASCAR taxis beating and banging each other on the streets and in the tunnel of Monaco. Instead of all those Mega Yachts in the harbor, you'd have Pontoon Party Boats.

I just finished watching the final segment of The Winston from 1994. That was some amazing racing. Two different tire options and a ten lap shootout. That last ten laps was amazingly good. Sterling Marlin, Ken Schrader and Geoff Bodine put on a show. If this years All Star race with a similar format if half as good, I'll be thrilled. That's also the last time I attended the all star race. I'm going this year. Hope I'm not disappointed.

The Clash is a ton of valuable practice time under actual race conditions. Dirt racing offers nothing that would apply the rest of the season.
Dirt racing offers nothing? You know...not even lehandke how to handle an extremely loose car or a car on a really slick surface. Texas just happened last week and the dirt racers were the ones who conquered that track first.

Ahhhh…. The winning debates!

Dirt’s for plowin’ vs. dirt’s for racin’, asphalt’s for gettin’ there!

The epic battle! Go JJ Yeley!

Dirt racing offers nothing? You know...not even lehandke how to handle an extremely loose car or a car on a really slick surface. Texas just happened last week and the dirt racers were the ones who conquered that track first.
A dirt racing background brings plenty of skills useful in many forms of racing.

Racing a Cup car on a dirt track in an exhibition race with multiple short stages offers no data that can be used by the team later in the season. That's how it differs from the Clash, which offers participating teams the chance to practice for four points-paying races, including one in the Chase. That's why those drivers who don't like plate racing choose to participate, while Cup drivers who don't like dirt racing may opt out of a dirt All-Star (which was the original question) and why teams may not want to prepare a one-off car.

Regardless, Bruton is going to use the track he thinks he can sell the most tickets for. No doubt a dirt race in Concord will sell out, but it has a lot fewer seats than the big track.

A dirt racing background brings plenty of skills useful in many forms of racing.

Racing a Cup car on a dirt track in an exhibition race with multiple short stages offers no data that can be used by the team later in the season. That's how it differs from the Clash, which offers participating teams the chance to practice for four points-paying races, including one in the Chase. That's why those drivers who don't like plate racing choose to participate, while Cup drivers who don't like dirt racing may opt out of a dirt All-Star (which was the original question) and why teams may not want to prepare a one-off car.

Regardless, Bruton is going to use the track he thinks he can sell the most tickets for. No doubt a dirt race in Concord will sell out, but it has a lot fewer seats than the big track.
I guess we're looking at it from different points of view. I agree that dirt would offer no data for the cars, but it provides newbie dirt racers with invaluable mental data that can result in knowing what to suggest for car setups at non-dirt tracks and also how to get the most out of a loose car.

I guess we're looking at it from different points of view. I agree that dirt would offer no data for the cars, but it provides newbie dirt racers with invaluable mental data that can result in knowing what to suggest for car setups at non-dirt tracks and also how to get the most out of a loose car.
The discussion is about the All-Star race at the Cup level. By the time a driver gets to that point in his career, I strongly doubt a couple of hundred dirt laps are going to teach him anything useful. He'll be too busy trying to survive to pick up anything useful in the long term. If teams thought it was a useful teaching tool, they'd already be booking rookies and X drivers at dirt venues.

I doubt they want to expand the dirt track or bring in temporary seats, but I don't understand why the All-Star Race should be a tune-up anyway. The dirt track WOULD add more intrigue by the fanbase and NASCAR IMO.

Personally they should have a dirt track on the regular season schedule.

Back
Top Bottom