2017 Bristol - Food City 500 - Pre Race Thread

C98EBCSUwAAt-YU.jpg:large
It would be interesting to compare to a similar picture from the early 2000s. You can see how condensed the midway (souvenir trailers, sponsor displays) has become. Also, very few independent dealers set up across the street anymore.

It would be interesting to compare to a similar picture from the early 2000s. You can see how condensed the midway (souvenir trailers, sponsor displays) has become. Also, very few independent dealers set up across the street anymore.

My, how times have changed. Obviously, this one is taken on race day. Looking only at the RV'ers and vendors, a huge difference can be seen.

Oh, and if anyone would like the full resolution on this pic, PM me your email and I can forward it to you. It's much too large to post here.

From March 2009.....

08copyBristolSpeedway_30Mar200980per.jpg

To show how hard it is to predict the rain in this area, I'm in Knoxville and the sun is out. A very nice day right now. Rain at Bristol about 2 hours from here.

Dale Earnhardt Jr.‏Verified account @DaleJr 11s12 seconds ago

No qualifying today. Practice at 3pm ET. @NASCAR_XFINITY is next on track when it's ready.

Well no one will be going home, so I guess qualifying is becoming more academic and expendable.
I just feel bad for anyone that actually paid $20 for a ticket to watch qualifying.

Hell, I feel that way even when they actually hold qualifying.
Agreed. Do you know of any tracks that offer it free? I know none of the ones I've been to have.

Martinsville maybe? I didn't get to make poll day when I went there a couple years ago.

Before the track changed hands, Richmond used to make excuses to let folks in for nothin'.

"I'm wanderin' lost in the wilderness 'n need to sit down a while................."

A pretty girl dressed in red & white would give ya a pack of Winstons 'n let ya in.

Before the track changed hands, Richmond used to make excuses to let folks in for nothin'.

"I'm wanderin' lost in the wilderness 'n need to sit down a while................."

A pretty girl dressed in red & white would give ya a pack of Winstons 'n let ya in.

Those were good days...

Free cigarettes and Skoal....

Agreed. Do you know of any tracks that offer it free? I know none of the ones I've been to have.

Martinsville maybe? I didn't get to make poll day when I went there a couple years ago.
I am not aware of any. Martinsville, a track I think that has the best overall ticket pricing, is charging $5 for practice day on October.

I'd love to see this race run on Monday night, if they have to postpone it. But holy crap, that would be a ratings disaster.

ABC: Dancing with the Stars; NBC: The Voice; CBS: The Big Bang Theory; FOX: Gotham, APB; CW: Supergirl; USA: Monday Night Raw; TNT: NBA Playoffs; NBCSN: Stanley Cup Playoffs.

That's a lot of **** that a lot of people are going to be watching.

I'm planning to shoot a music video on Sunday, and I've got two classes on Monday (one in the evening), so I'm probably not going to be able to watch the race live on TV no matter when it happens. Hopefully, my DVR can record the whole race.

Qualifying was a lot better when the fans could actually follow it at the race track. I'm sure knockout qualifying is better on TV because it's not drawn out like single car runs, but at the race track it's basically a practice session.

Ricky Stenhouse hits the wall in practice. Will use a backup car.

I never understood why fans on this site don't talk about this track the way they do Martinsville. Bristol is where it's at. Can't wait!

I never understood why fans on this site don't talk about this track the way they do Martinsville. Bristol is where it's at. Can't wait!

Bristol was my favorite track followed by Martinsville until Bruton decided to enhance it a few years back. Bristol was always a guaranteed good race but now it is hit and miss.

I'd love to see this race run on Monday night, if they have to postpone it. But holy crap, that would be a ratings disaster.

ABC: Dancing with the Stars; NBC: The Voice; CBS: The Big Bang Theory; FOX: Gotham, APB; CW: Supergirl; USA: Monday Night Raw; TNT: NBA Playoffs; NBCSN: Stanley Cup Playoffs.

That's a lot of sh!t that a lot of people are going to be watching.
The Big Bang Theory is a rerun, as are three out of the four sitcoms for Monday on CBS.

Bristol was my favorite track followed by Martinsville until Bruton decided to enhance it a few years back. Bristol was always a guaranteed good race but now it is hit and miss.

Agree. This place isn't the same. If this type of configuration was built for say a new Denver area track or Washington, or Staten Island I would have been completely cool with this type of racing and track. But Bristol had it's own character and now I feel it's gone in favor of a track that is more like Sprint Car racing than bump 'n run high tempers Bristol short track racing.

Agree. This place isn't the same. If this type of configuration was built for say a new Denver area track or Washington, or Staten Island I would have been completely cool with this type of racing and track. But Bristol had it's own character and now I feel it's gone in favor of a track that is more like Sprint Car racing than bump 'n run high tempers Bristol short track racing.

Good point as it is still better than a lot of the tracks but not nearly as good as before.

People think changing perfection will get them more money. Silly fools.

The Big Bang Theory is a rerun, as are three out of the four sitcoms for Monday on CBS.

Big Bang Theory re-runs get higher ratings than most shows on TV.

The Voice, Dancing with the Stars, NBA Playoffs, Stanley Cup Playoffs, WWE RAW and probably Supergirl would all draw higher ratings than NASCAR if the race was held on Monday night.

Hopefully they can get this show in today.

I'm one of the few that prefers the new configuration. I want to see green flag racing, not a bunch of yellow laps the old layout produced.

Back
Top Bottom