2017 Daytona - Coke Zero 400 - Pre Race Thread

Jr has 10 more shots, right now he isn't looking good on the point side. I bet he has a hot rod for Daytona. Gt him some Cole Trickle's special tires
40 cars are entered for the Coke Zero 400. Sadler, Wallace, Sieg and Gaughan full time Xfinity are doing double duty.

Screwed up, Bubba Walace is just running the cup race. Roush and Penske have only one Xfinity car entered in a big money race. Childress has 5, Jr/Hendrick 4

DDXcl8rXcAAEZjx.jpg:large

2 are, 2 are half. I'm in for a hell of a weekend from what friends and family tell me. I'll just watch racing to get through it I guess

Honestly this won't sound good but getting this procedure done was one of the most relaxing times I remember. The anesthesia puts you to sleep and I could have sworn I was only in there for a few seconds by the time they woke me up. Hang in there man.

Everyone's recovery varies. So i can't tell you that. Some say they have a rough go for a little bit. I was trying to eat my normal stuff almost right away. It takes a little getting use to. But there's a race on at Daytona nonetheless so maybe it can help you through.

I went to this race in 2002 along with the Busch Race. We had hot garage passes and great seats in the old Lockhardt Tower compliments of a connect I had through WIP Sports Radio in Philly. Was an awesome awesome weekend of racing. The worse part was having to wear long pants due to spending so much time in the garage area. It was brutally hot! Another interesting thing of note is it took us so long to get back to our car and out the lot that by the time we stopped at a mini mart about 2 miles from the where we parked the Sunday paper had already been printed with a picture of race winner Michael Waltrip on the front page. That race was one of a few that year that really got the ball rolling to stop the practice of races ending under cautions. I can still picture disgruntled fans chucking things onto the track. As in legit coolers.....

TIRE CODES

Tire: Goodyear Eagle Superspeedway Radials

Set limits:
Cup: 2 sets for practice, 1 set for qualifying and 6 sets for the race;
Xfinity: 4 sets for the event

Tire Codes: Left-side -- D-4738 Right-side -- D-4740

Tire Circumference: Left-side -- 88.07 in. (2,237 mm) Right-side -- 88.46 in. (2,247 mm)

Minimum Recommended Inflation:
Left Front -- 27 psi Left Rear -- 27 psi
Right Front -- 50 psi Right Rear -- 48 psi

Storyline - New Tire Set-up Adds Stability at Daytona: Daytona International Speedway was one of the NASCAR tracks on a busy Goodyear spring testing schedule this year. After running the same successful tire combination at Daytona since July 2013, Goodyear returned to the "World Center of Speed" in April with a focus of exploring options for increased grip. For this week's races, Goodyear's new tire combination features new tread compounds on both sides of the car. These new compounds will add grip, not necessarily with a goal to increase speeds, but to enhance the stability of the cars. With restrictor plate-style racing, being within inches of other cars virtually all the way around the track is a reality, and enhanced stability is a welcome feature to combat the buffeting of the air caused by the close-quarters racing.

Notes: Teams in both the Monster Energy NASCAR Cup and Xfinity Series will run the same Goodyear tire set-up at Daytona this week . . . this is the first time these teams have run either of these two tire codes . . . this tire set-up came out of a Goodyear test at Daytona on April 12 . . . drivers participating in that test were Danica Patrick, Joey Logano, Ryan Newman, Erik Jones and Alex Bowman . . . compared to what was run at Daytona in February, there is a compound change to both the left- and right-side tires to give the cars more grip . . . as on all NASCAR ovals greater than one mile in length, teams are required to run inner liners in all four tire positions at Daytona . . . air pressure in those inner liners should be 12-25 psi greater than that of the outer tire.

Just as you urge folks to make the haul over to Martinsville (and I did), I can't stress to people enough how they have to find a way to make it to this place. It is spectacular. There is not a more comfortable or fan friendly place to watch a race, I promise you that.

TIRE CODES

Tire: Goodyear Eagle Superspeedway Radials

Set limits:
Cup: 2 sets for practice, 1 set for qualifying and 6 sets for the race;
Xfinity: 4 sets for the event

Tire Codes: Left-side -- D-4738 Right-side -- D-4740

Tire Circumference: Left-side -- 88.07 in. (2,237 mm) Right-side -- 88.46 in. (2,247 mm)

Minimum Recommended Inflation:
Left Front -- 27 psi Left Rear -- 27 psi
Right Front -- 50 psi Right Rear -- 48 psi

Storyline - New Tire Set-up Adds Stability at Daytona: Daytona International Speedway was one of the NASCAR tracks on a busy Goodyear spring testing schedule this year. After running the same successful tire combination at Daytona since July 2013, Goodyear returned to the "World Center of Speed" in April with a focus of exploring options for increased grip. For this week's races, Goodyear's new tire combination features new tread compounds on both sides of the car. These new compounds will add grip, not necessarily with a goal to increase speeds, but to enhance the stability of the cars. With restrictor plate-style racing, being within inches of other cars virtually all the way around the track is a reality, and enhanced stability is a welcome feature to combat the buffeting of the air caused by the close-quarters racing.

Notes: Teams in both the Monster Energy NASCAR Cup and Xfinity Series will run the same Goodyear tire set-up at Daytona this week . . . this is the first time these teams have run either of these two tire codes . . . this tire set-up came out of a Goodyear test at Daytona on April 12 . . . drivers participating in that test were Danica Patrick, Joey Logano, Ryan Newman, Erik Jones and Alex Bowman . . . compared to what was run at Daytona in February, there is a compound change to both the left- and right-side tires to give the cars more grip . . . as on all NASCAR ovals greater than one mile in length, teams are required to run inner liners in all four tire positions at Daytona . . . air pressure in those inner liners should be 12-25 psi greater than that of the outer tire.

Oh great a new tire....Lets hope it holds air well....maybe its the kyle busch special

Yeah it's Thursday but cars are on the track! :cool:

Note: All times are ET.

THURSDAY, JUNE 29:
ON TRACK
– 2- 2:55 p.m.: NASCAR XFINITY Series practice, NBCSN (Follow live)
– 3- 3:55 p.m.: Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series practice, NBCSN (Follow live)
– 4- 4:55 p.m.: NASCAR XFINITY Series final practice, NBCSN (Follow live)
– 5- 5:55 p.m.: Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series final practice, NBCSN (Follow live)

GARAGECAM (Watch live)
– 1:30: NASCAR XFINITY Series
– 2:30: Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series

I was thinking about going to Putnamville Indiana Sat night to watch some dirt track racing, but I think I will just stay here in my hotel room and watch the Daytona race instead because I think this could be Danica's best shot for her first win in a cup car... and I don't want to miss the meltdown that will happen here if she were to pull it off. Plus, I'm getting a little lazy and it is a lot easier to just sit in front of a tv and watch some good NASCAR racing.:D

this could be Danica's best shot for her first win in a cup car... and I don't want to miss the meltdown that will happen here if she were to pull it off.
If I could change your scenario a bit to include her accomplishing a last lap pass of Kyle Busch to take the win then you may need to hand out Nitro Pills for many members of this board.

This dovetails with what Brendan Gaughan was saying this morning on Sirius. He said that after Daytona re-paved a handful of years ago, the handling needs were substantially reduced. But that grip has gone away and Daytona was already returning to being a handling track. Now with the new downforce package, it is absolutely paramount . . . especially for the 400 because the temperatures and humidity will be higher than in February.

He said most teams were not bringing a "zipped up" super-speedway car, but rather one that can keep the nose planted. Perhaps the tires will help a bit. I wonder how many of those single-car loose spins coming off of 4. The 48 seems to have a problem, in particular.

Ooooooo-kay. I'm again struck by the irony of special rules for qualifying at a track where starting position is of minimal advantage.
Then, I'd guess you'd have to be equally as struck by teams running special equipment/parts/setups where starting positions is of minimal advantage. I can only guess that if these guy would do this sort of thing, maybe the starting position actually does mean something.:idunno:

I was there. Took my dad. He had a heck of a time. :)

Edit: I actually took my husband in July of that year --- the year the fires took over Florida. We had to come home. Husband couldn't get vacation time in October.
The weekend before Daytona was Talladega --- I was there, also. Talk about tired.

Last edited:
I was there. Took my dad. He had a heck of a time. :)

Edit: I actually took my husband in July of that year --- the year the fires took over Florida. We had to come home. Husband couldn't get vacation time in October.
The weekend before Daytona was Talladega --- I was there, also. Talk about tired.

I was at the "fire race" re-schedule in October, 1998. I don't actually remember much of it. I barely remember that there was a rain delay in the middle of the race. I sat next to a guy from Maine and got my first real dose of the upper New England race fan (I always knew there were great fans up there but I had never met one. He invited me to meet him at Loudon one year but we never made it happen).

Hopes for rain?

you remember when, teams would put super light weight oil in the engine transmission and rear end and a bunch of other stuff I can't remember, so they went to impound to stop all that stuff. To me not only did it make sense to impound, but another indication that

the team owners do a lot of running the racing show. I really don't think Brian pays enough attention to details like that it has to come from the owners side.

Back
Top Bottom