2017 Daytona - Coke Zero 400 - Pre Race Thread

The camera angle has been released already, go look at it
As I noted, I already have and was not impressed by the visuals. Maybe the 'Fast and Furious' crowd will think the shots are dramatic (and 'edgy'?), but to me the initial use doesn't show me much about the racing.

Maybe seeing it under race conditions will change my mind.

Then, I'd guess you'd have to be equally as struck by teams running special equipment/parts/setups where starting positions is of minimal advantage. I can only guess that if these guy would do this sort of thing, maybe the starting position actually does mean something.:idunno:
Not nearly as much starting position as it is pit stall selection.

A new “Bat Cam” will be along the backstretch at select racetracks. This tethered camera will zoom along with the racecars at roughly 100 mph, giving fans a new perspective. Some us think this NEW perspective sucks. :D:p My head is just fine.
I could make a joke about how some might disagree with your head being fine, but I wont:p:D

I dont think this not so new perspective sucks, I like it, but its not new, as we know FOX used it but higher up, and this is not the first time NBC has used it for the same POV, they used it at Homestead in either 1999/2000, or maybe both years , that is our fun fact for the day, enjoy:D

As I noted, I already have and was not impressed by the visuals. Maybe the 'Fast and Furious' crowd will think the shots are dramatic (and 'edgy'?), but to me the initial use doesn't show me much about the racing.

Maybe seeing it under race conditions will change my mind.

I dont see a Faat & Furious crowd liking that. Camera sucks but NBC will sing its praises. The Fox camera was good I thought, well until it broke.

If the purpose of a camera angle has to be explained, how effective is it?

If it's moving in the same direction as the cars, won't the speed of the cars appear to be less than with a stationary camera, due to the relative difference between their speeds? If I'm moving at 100 mph and you're moving at 180 in the same direction, you're going to appear to me to be doing only 80.
I was just passing along what it was being used for.

it is still going to give an idea at how fast the cars going, and the point, there is a lot of over thinking on this one :laugh::laugh:

Here we go, Pennzoil 400 at Homestead , 2000, NBC , using the same POV Camera on the backstretch

I disagree, I dont think it sucks, but that's is what makes this place great, everyone has different opinions.

I feel its to far away from the track and the only good shots it gets is when they zoom it in but with a full field I doubt tgey will much. Needs to be a bit higher as well I think. Should look better on a smaller track though.

And the 1999 Pennzoil 400 from Homestead , NBC, same POV

I just wish the Bat cam? was the only thing that sucked..so far it has been pretty frustrating dealing with NBC's idea of practice coverage. Anybody that DVR'd it for this evening is probably going to be disappointed

I just wish the Bat cam? was the only thing that sucked..so far it has been pretty frustrating dealing with NBC's idea of practice coverage. Anybody that DVR'd it for this evening is probably going to be disappointed
I havent noticed anything that has been frustrating so far, its about the same as FOX in my opinion. When the cars are on the track, they have showed them, when no cars were on the track, they talked about other topics while waiting for the cars to return to the track.

I recall Fox spent chunks of practice time talking about stuff other than the cars on the track, including what crew chiefs were doing in the garage.

why did so many cars not many cars not make a second practice run?

I doubt many people watch practice let alone DVR it especially at a plate track as it doesn't tell you much.

why did so many cars not many cars not make a second practice run?

I had to have the practice board from Nascar on my puter to tell who was running. Most of the time when the cars were on the track, they were showing clips from races past, or interviewing a driver who wasn't practicing..it was amazing how bad it was. They mentioned after that fact that Jr was the fastest. It was after practice was over, they never showed him running in first or any of them around to interview him or McDowell who came in second. But they did interview David Regan who was 18th during the time they could have been interviewing one and two.

I had to have the practice board from Nascar on my puter to tell who was running. Most of the time when the cars were on the track, they were showing clips from races past, or interviewing a driver who wasn't practicing..it was amazing how bad it was. They mentioned after that fact that Jr was the fastest. It was after practice was over, they never showed him running in first or any of them around to interview him or McDowell who came in second. But they did interview David Regan who was 18th during the time they could have been interviewing one and two.

Hopefully NBC gets things worked out to your satisfaction as it could be a long rest of the season otherwise.

After 20 some years of attending races, tomorrow is my first chance to see actual qualifying, besides the duels, but it also looks like rain starting in the afternoon. Kind of funny how it never works out. Saturday's also looking iffy, unless nascar has the patience to wait it out past 10pm, not holding my breath on that one. My guess this is the first race nascar gets to try out their new rain shortened rules.

In the early 70s it was our tradition to listen to the Firecracker 400 on MRN from my cousins porch. They started the 400 around 10am then, and finished anout 12:30.

I was the youngest between my brother and cousins, they were old enough for me to look up to them.
They all knew that I was crazy about racing and Petty, and that I always bought my radio along for the MRN. They had the best time laughing at me when Petty didnt win, and I was really pissed off over Pearson's last lap mastery. It seemed like Petty owned the 500, and Pearson the 400.
It was just a holiday and a unique starting time, and the those two three years with the 400 on the porch was a good personal memory.

It was fun back in the day, but it isnt all about Nascar back in the day, or them being the only change.
Being young in the day was a big thing too. I would love to be able to have some of that passion back.

FRIDAY, JUNE 30
ON TRACK
– 2:10 p.m.: NASCAR XFINITY Series Coors Light Pole Qualifying, NBCSN (Follow live) (Canada: TSN GO)
– 4:10 p.m.: Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series Coors Light Pole Qualifying, NBCSN (Follow live) (Canada: TSN GO)
– 7:30 p.m.: NASCAR XFINITY Series Coca-Cola Firecracker 250 (100 laps, 250 miles), NBCSN (Follow live) (Canada: TSN 2)

PRESS PASS (Watch live)
– 1 p.m.: Dale Earnhardt Jr.
– 1:30 p.m.: Matt Tifft, Peter Intermaggio, Carol Eggert
– 3 p.m.: Brad Keselowski
– 3:45 p.m.: Richard Petty
– 5:30 p.m.: Post-Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series qualifying
– 10 p.m.: Post-XFINITY Series race

DDiuwOgW0AE-Dfb.jpg:large

Police investigating Daytona bomb call threat

The Daytona Beach Police Department received a call regarding a bomb threat against Daytona International Speedway on Thursday just before 3 p.m.

According to a report from the DBPD, “The caller said he had placed multiple bombs on the Speedway property.”

After a thorough search of the property, officers found nothing suspicious, however, the police categorized the incident as “an active, ongoing investigation.” The speedway referred all comment to the police department.

https://www.motorsport.com/nascar-cup/news/police-investigate-daytona-bomb-threat-924914/

I feel its to far away from the track and the only good shots it gets is when they zoom it in but with a full field I doubt tgey will much. Needs to be a bit higher as well I think. Should look better on a smaller track though.

I think it would be great if the camera wasn't sub-par. The quality is no good but in practice Rick Allen had to make sure everyone knew how amazing the picture was.:rolleyes:

Police investigating Daytona bomb call threat

The Daytona Beach Police Department received a call regarding a bomb threat against Daytona International Speedway on Thursday just before 3 p.m.

According to a report from the DBPD, “The caller said he had placed multiple bombs on the Speedway property.”

After a thorough search of the property, officers found nothing suspicious, however, the police categorized the incident as “an active, ongoing investigation.” The speedway referred all comment to the police department.

https://www.motorsport.com/nascar-cup/news/police-investigate-daytona-bomb-threat-924914/
There is one NASCAR fan that is taking his dislike for stage racing a little to serious.:)

Back
Top Bottom