2017 Daytona - Coke Zero 400 - Pre Race Thread

Last time I looked, being out in front was a temporary condition not secured by the usual method (pulling away from the rest of the field).
When was the last time you checked, 2012? Being in the lead at a RP track is the absolute best scenerio. The air behind the car causes so much turbulence the leader can control every lane.

@dpkimmel2001 I LOVE SS's and roadcourses. 'tona is a fav for the history. I look forward to this race. I love that it gives me pins and needles not knowing what is going to happen

DDgT_aFWAAEY188.jpg:large

Toss a Martinsville race or two in that sentence and it's complete. :cool:
agreed...to me, it puts me in mind of watching a NFL game...4th quarter..your team has the ball..on the opposing 20...30 secs left no timeouts...will you throw a pick or a td? I know I'llbe bashed for the stick and ball stuff but its what it reminds me of.

agreed...to me, it puts me in mind of watching a NFL game...4th quarter..your team has the ball..on the opposing 20...30 secs left no timeouts...will you throw a pick or a td? I know I'llbe bashed for the stick and ball stuff but its what it reminds me of.
Yep.

I'll deflect your stick & ball reference with a shout out to the stages in a restrictor plate race. I really thought it added extra excitement to the previous two plate races with the drivers up on the wheel going for those points. They're looking at those point totals. They know what they are going to mean in those final 10. Expect more of the same this Saturday night.

you remember when, teams would put super light weight oil in the engine transmission and rear end and a bunch of other stuff I can't remember, so they went to impound to stop all that stuff. To me not only did it make sense to impound, but another indication that the team owners do a lot of running the racing show. I really don't think Brian pays enough attention to details like that it has to come from the owners side.
But why would they only do that at the plate tracks, vs. doing it at Mich, Cali, and other places? And if they are doing it at the other tracks, then what difference does it make if they do it here too?

When was the last time you checked, 2012? Being in the lead at a RP track is the absolute best scenerio. The air behind the car causes so much turbulence the leader can control every lane.
When was Talladega? Last I'd heard, running second coming off Turn 4 on the last lap was still preferred over running up front.

If the leader is controlling every lane, why are there more lead changes at plate tracks than at other layouts? It doesn't look like staying up front is possible, regardless of driver skill or car advantage.

At the track. Merchandise haulers are freakin terrible as expected. 1/2 the variety of the tent.

Really? That's crazy. I didn't think the selection could get worse than what's in the tents.

I think it's time to order all racing swag online

Really? That's crazy. I didn't think the selection could get worse than what's in the tents.

I think it's time to order all racing swag online
Since the rise of the InterWebs, I've regarded shopping at the track as merely another way to kill time before the green flag. I prefer the tents, but the entire operation could disappear and it wouldn't bother me much.

Xfinity first practice, Jeb Burton fastest, Custer second in a back up, Gallagher in a back up third, Casey Mears and Ty Dillion top 5

Not a fan if NBC's 100 mph camera. They seem to love it but I dont think it gives a very good view of the cars.

Not a fan if NBC's 100 mph camera. They seem to love it but I dont think it gives a very good view of the cars.
I'm going to join the watch party waiting for that thing to become a debris caution.:p That little s.o.b. gets caught in the 200 mph car wash one time and it will be all over.

I'm going to join the watch party waiting for that thing to become a debris caution.:p That little s.o.b. gets caught in the 200 mph car wash one time and it will be all over.
Yeah, I wonder how it's going to handle when the pack blows under it.

Regardless of that, I'm not particularly impressed. It's not high enough to be a less expensive way of providing the aerial coverage blimps and choppers currently do well. Just another network video gimmick.

Regardless of that, I'm not particularly impressed. It's not high enough to be a less expensive way of providing the aerial coverage blimps and choppers currently do well. Just another network video gimmick.

I hope that is all it is..poor excuse for an overhead shot. Works for stick n ball that moves slower. I swear most of these network guys never get away from a desk or their nose out of their phone it appears. They sure haven't taken a physics class.

Lol, the point of NBC's new camera POV went right over some of yalls head, its not supposed to be an over head camera view, its not being used as an over head POV, its showing the speed of the cars that the stationary camera's can not really show.

Lol, the point of NBC's new camera POV went right over some of yalls head, its not supposed to be an over head camera view, its not being used as an over head POV, its showing the speed of the cars that the stationary camera's can not really show.

A new “Bat Cam” will be along the backstretch at select racetracks. This tethered camera will zoom along with the racecars at roughly 100 mph, giving fans a new perspective. Some us think this NEW perspective sucks. :D:p My head is just fine.

If the purpose of a camera angle has to be explained, how effective is it?

If it's moving in the same direction as the cars, won't the speed of the cars appear to be less than with a stationary camera, due to the relative difference between their speeds? If I'm moving at 100 mph and you're moving at 180 in the same direction, you're going to appear to me to be doing only 80.

A new “Bat Cam” will be along the backstretch at select racetracks. This tethered camera will zoom along with the racecars at roughly 100 mph, giving fans a new perspective. Some us think this NEW perspective sucks. :D:p My head is just fine.
'...tethered...'

Sorry, most of us have seen this show and remember how it ended.

I'm pretty sure if he would have thought about that for a few moments he wouldn't have come up with that.

Chase said in 1st practice that it felt like his motor was bad. To be continued on that front...

Its not over the track any though. It sets on the backstretch in the infield and has to zoom to get a good look at the cars anyway. I dont think we'll see another Charlotte incident with this set up.

When was Talladega? Last I'd heard, running second coming off Turn 4 on the last lap was still preferred over running up front.

If the leader is controlling every lane, why are there more lead changes at plate tracks than at other layouts? It doesn't look like staying up front is possible, regardless of driver skill or car advantage.
When at speed the leader controls the race.

Back
Top Bottom