2017 Indy - Brantley Gilbert Big Machine Brickyard 400 - Pre Race Thread

those holes in the bumper wont be used for cup I hope

Can't wait to see them try to side draft and get blown off the track:p. This worked for a 3 car tryout. With a pack, it is going to be like driving in a tornado.:D
He's thinking it is going to be "a little bit different with 40 cars out there"

DFIPXoYXUAMgNFB.jpg
So I guess they solved the tax dispute?

Can someone please help me out and explain to me why the cars look sideways and they come down the stretches??

Can someone please help me out and explain to me why the cars look sideways and they come down the stretches??
They want to get the large flat side into the air so they get thru the corner better. There all all kinds of rules trying to restrict that, but teams are always trying to figure out how to get more side force.

They want to get the large flat side into the air so they get thru the corner better. There all all kinds of rules trying to restrict that, but teams are always trying to figure out how to get more side force.
So is the frame bent??

The tires are smaller on the left side on ovals, so if you let go of the wheel, they would go in a circle all on their own.. That's legal, the rest of it is anybodies guess what will get by inspection. All kinds of rear end stuff has been outlawed on this version of car. When they say a car is good on the long run or short run, a lot of times is is because of air pressure and how the car is set up for the changes when the tires get hot and expand

yeah it's different, they are running wide open like an indycar. some of the teammates are running nose to tail. Hard to tell because they aren't racing and only teammates are running together if they can pass or not. I just tuned in though.

edit, they threw a red and bunched them up, they can pass, looks interesting, they have around 15 cars running together now.

Last edited:
The tires are smaller on the left side on ovals, so if you let go of the wheel, they would go in a circle all on their own.. That's legal, the rest of it is anybodies guess what will get by inspection. All kinds of rear end stuff has been outlawed on this version of car. When they say a car is good on the long run or short run, a lot of times is is because of air pressure and how the car is set up for the changes when the tires get hot and expand
Thanku for helping out

So is the frame bent??
No. A lot of it is the way the axl for the rear tires is bolted on the chassis... a lot of drivetrain stuff going on...

The gen 4 cars were the most interesting, if you find close up pictures of those cars the teams would do all kinds of things to mold and shape the bodies for different tracks... but it would all still fit those templates they sat on the cars during inspection

Hmmm...hard to tell until they actually race but so far I have to say I kinda like what I'm seeing. At the very least it looks like it could be a step in the right direction.

Whoa Tift is in a Fanatics car! I've been hoping to see them on a car for a while, that's awesome.

During an interview with Inside INdiana Business, Doug Boles discussed anticipated attendance and addressed whether lights could be in the future for the famed oval. He says turnstile figures for Sunday's race are expected to be about the same as last year, which estimates pegged around 50,000. Lights, Boles says, are "an expensive investment" that has been considered for several years and will continue to be. If the return on investment proposition for a night race at IMS increases and the cost of technology continues to dip, Boles says "there may be a day in the future where you see lights at the speedway, it's just not going to be real soon, I don't think."

I was very surprised to see the Xfinity cars flat in the corners in practice. I didn't realize that was the objective or the expectation of the aero changes. Practice speeds topped out at 166+ mph, while last year the two practices topped out at 181 in the morning and 176 in the final practice session. So the high drag and lower power have slowed the cars considerably.

XFINITY Series drivers take Indianapolis rules package for a spin

SPEEDWAY, Ind. — It’s “Indy in the corners and Talladega on the straightaways,” according to Elliott Sadler. A race Saturday may bear that out.

“After having two practices, the diffusers (aero ducts) do a really good job,” Sadler said. “I’m really happy and impressed with (them); I think they have brought the competition closer together.

I think it’s still going to be a lot of the same Indy, where track position and clear air up front is going to make a difference but I don’t think you’ll see the leader or top two or three cars really get away. The (aero ducts) are really keeping everybody together from what I’ve seen. I think you’re still going to have to work on your handling to be able to make passes. I think you’re going to have to have a little bit of drafting help to make passes on certain cars, probably the fastest cars.”

http://www.nascar.com/news-media/20...drivers-take-indianapolis-rules-package-spin/

Xfinity Series aero rules for IMS put focus on blocking and restarts
Two areas that are liking to see the most visible effects from the aero package during Saturday’s race will be blocking and the restarts.

“You’re going to see a lot of blocking. It’s Indy in the corners and Talladega on the straightaways,” Sadler said. “We’re racing closer and the guys behind you are going to be able to get a run on you, especially if they have help behind them.”

Blake Koch, one of the three drivers who participated in the test last October, said the changes were greatly “magnified” during Friday’s practices in part because of the higher temperatures and 40 cars running on the track.

“Today, we were fighting a little more grip issues so we weren’t really able to team up and pass as quite as easy,” Koch said. “I still think it will be a lot better than it was – I don’t think anyone will be able to break away from the field at all.”
Allgaier said one big difference on Saturday will be when drivers attempt to push or bump-draft with each other.

“When we go to Daytona and Talladega, we all have the same rear springs (NASCAR mandates them). Here, everybody has their own rear spring package,” he said. “Some want the back of the car real low, some want it real high.

https://www.motorsport.com/nascar-xs/news/nascar-xfinity-indianapolis-aero-package-933407/

Back
Top Bottom