2017 Indy - Brantley Gilbert Big Machine Brickyard 400 - Pre Race Thread

DFUHPLvWsAALxeG.jpg:large

Saturday, July 22
ON TRACK: Indianapolis Motor Speedway
9-9:55 a.m.: Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series practice, CNBC (Follow live) (Canada: TSN GO)
11-11:55 a.m.: Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series final practice, CNBC (Follow live) (Canada: TSN 2)
12:45 p.m.: NASCAR XFINITY Series Coors Light Pole qualifying, NBCSN (Follow live) (Canada: TSN GO)
3:30 p.m.: NASCAR XFINITY Series Lilly Diabetes 250 (100 laps, 250 miles), NBCSN (Follow live) (Canada: TSN 1, 3, 4)
6:15 p.m.: Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series Coors Light Pole qualifying, NBCSN (Follow live) (TSN GO)

PRESS PASS (Watch live)
10 a.m.: NASCAR Racing Experience announcement
10:25 a.m.: Denny Hamlin
Noon: Dale Earnhardt Jr.
12:30 p.m.: Kyle Larson
1:30 p.m.: Clint Bowyer
6 p.m.: Post-NASCAR XFINITY Series race press conference
7 p.m.: Post-Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series qualifying press conference

GARAGECAM (Watch live)
10:30 a.m.: Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series

It definitely looks like the racing will be better (depending on how you define that), or at least closer, but I wonder if they've almost made the cars too slow and too easy to drive. For the most part they look flat or pretty damn close to flat, with an occasional dab of the brakes or a little lift. I'm just not sure it's worth it if we have to neuter the cars so much they're flat at 160 through the turns. I mean, the top practice times set by Allgaier and Sadler yesterday wouldn't even be competitive with the top Winston West cars back at the inaugural race in '94.

It definitely looks like the racing will be better (depending on how you define that), or at least closer, but I wonder if they've almost made the cars too slow and too easy to drive. For the most part they look flat or pretty damn close to flat, with an occasional dab of the brakes or a little lift. I'm just not sure it's worth it if we have to neuter the cars so much they're flat at 160 through the turns. I mean, the top practice times set by Allgaier and Sadler yesterday wouldn't even be competitive with the top Winston West cars back at the inaugural race in '94.

Slot cars?

to each their own, I watched the second practice, even posted 18 minutes of it in this thread, for a practice and not a race it looked pretty good. The largest pack was around 15 cars and they were able to actually have two wide in the corners, something I don't remember seeing very much of. Also passing on the straight sometimes two cars would pass the same car. that I don't remember. Two cars passing another at once unless his motor blew up.

IMO the xfinity cars here are a metaphore for nascar as a whole

Sure, the problem looks fixed and the competition is closer...

But theyve manipulated it in a way that nobody asked for and the excitement on track is not organic.

But theyve manipulated it in a way that nobody asked for and the excitement on track is not organic.

My problem is the obvious lack of speed. It's like watching a bunch of kids in "power wheels" racing down a residential street.

Oh my gosh it's not organic!!!! Haha give me a break, NASCAR is probably the most organic form of racing in this country, go watch a dirt race where there's a damn inversion every time

Oh my gosh it's not organic!!!! Haha give me a break, NASCAR is probably the most organic form of racing in this country, go watch a dirt race where there's a damn inversion every time

Do they neuter dirt cars before putting them on the track?

What is particularly tough in this instance is that they already had a perfectly good track to race on.

2 and a half tenths faster than the field?

Lol that #18 is not legal. NASCAR's inspection process is both overbearing & inconsistent as ****.

Back
Top Bottom