2017 IndyCar Stuff

Looks like the first domino has fallen, or is about to...

Sato tipped for Rahal Letterman Lanigan return
http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/143530-sato-tipped-for-rahal-letterman-lanigan-return

I will literally die of laughter if Rossi leaves. This would mean Andretti will possibly be a three car team next year. Chevy power for the team, Sato will pair well with Rahal. Not to mention that Sato will bring discounted engines and bring Panasonic money with him.

Seems like a good move for Rahal.

Holy cow............

Max Chilton on radio at Pocono]............this instruction is brain dead, It's the first time I've had a decent car in a while. Why can't we learn, or are we a quitting team? Good riddance, can't wait for next year.

http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/143590-ganassi-explains-reasoning-behind-parking-drivers

Kanaan appeared to be equally as angry when he got parked at Gateway. Man, does Chip have some unhappy drivers or what? I mean Dixon will probably never leave, and all Charlie is good for is making enemies on the track. Good thing he has Rosenqvist in the pipeline, but even at that he's down to three, and it's rumored Charlie's sponsorship is in doubt.

I was warming up to Chilton after he had such a good run at the speedway.I was hoping he could keep a good ride but Mikey is reportedly staying with Honda , Rossi, Hynter Reay, Marco, and maybe even Sato (no the Rahal deal has not been confirmed). About all that's left that's any good would be Smitt's second car.
Something I find worrying is that with Roger scaling back to three or maybe even two cars, and Chip apparently not looking to fill up two seat we know will need drivers (Chilton, Kaanan), does that take four cars off the grid?

Holy cow............

http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/143590-ganassi-explains-reasoning-behind-parking-drivers

Kanaan appeared to be equally as angry when he got parked at Gateway. Man, does Chip have some unhappy drivers or what? I mean Dixon will probably never leave, and all Charlie is good for is making enemies on the track. Good thing he has Rosenqvist in the pipeline, but even at that he's down to three, and it's rumored Charlie's sponsorship is in doubt.

I was warming up to Chilton after he had such a good run at the speedway.I was hoping he could keep a good ride but Mikey is reportedly staying with Honda , Rossi, Hynter Reay, Marco, and maybe even Sato (no the Rahal deal has not been confirmed). About all that's left that's any good would be Smitt's second car.
Something I find worrying is that with Roger scaling back to three or maybe even two cars, and Chip apparently not looking to fill up two seat we know will need drivers (Chilton, Kaanan), does that take four cars off the grid?
Autoweek reported Novo Nordisk is looking at opportunities with other teams next year, and Max and TK are pretty far gone already. Rosenqvist would be a really solid addition but I've heard there may be difficulties there with his FE contract so who knows. From what I can tell Rossi is Honda no matter what and he may not necessarily stick with Andretti even if AA do indeed stay with Honda, so Rossi is probably the best play for CGR right now. The Sato deal being up in the air is odd too, I guess CGR could always nab him as well.

I've seen lots of different possibilities for Max and TK ranging from leaving altogether to Max going to Carlin, TK going to Harding's second car, TK going to SPM, and so on. Basically nothing is set in stone still. The only things I'd be confident in right now:

Coyne - Bourdais
Penske - Newgarden, Pagenaud, Power
Ganassi - Dixon
Andretti - RHR, Marco
Carpenter - Ed (ovals)
RLL - Graham
SPM - Hinchcliffe

I'll be damned if Jones does not go back to Coyne. Gutierrez will be with SPM or Coyne IMHO, Kaiser will be on SPM's radar and so will Urrietta if his funding comes through.

Sato to Rahal would make sense and I think he and Graham would make good teammates.

It's time for Ed to give Pigot the keys for the whole season to the 20 car. Pigot has earned his stripes IMHO to a full-time ride.

Urrutia edging closer to IndyCar deal
http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/143637-urrutia-to-indycar-by-sonoma

Munoz unsure about his IndyCar future
http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/143628-munoz-unsure-about-his-indycar-future

Veach optimistic about his IndyCar future
http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/143632-veach-never-been-this-close-to-full-time-indycar-drive

I'd hate to see Munoz left without a seat, I thought he did relatively well with Andretti and at the very least he's a very good oval racer.

Veach, I had heard on a podcast he was bringing some big package that was in the area of $18 million over three years...seems pretty crazy but I guess we'll see.

Urrutia edging closer to IndyCar deal
http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/143637-urrutia-to-indycar-by-sonoma

Munoz unsure about his IndyCar future

http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/143628-munoz-unsure-about-his-indycar-future

Veach optimistic about his IndyCar future

http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/143632-veach-never-been-this-close-to-full-time-indycar-drive

I'd hate to see Munoz left without a seat, I thought he did relatively well with Andretti and at the very least he's a very good oval racer.

Veach, I had heard on a podcast he was bringing some big package that was in the area of $18 million over three years...seems pretty crazy but I guess we'll see.

Veach is going to be an animal for one of the heavy hitters. Give him Kimball's seat.

Munoz and Daly both have struggled with the revamp at Foyt, I'd give them both an extension because the potential is there. Be crazy not to do it.

It's not going to help that Conor smoked him off least weekend.

The only guys that's gonna get his hand on that money is Chip. Chip loves money and he's a little short on drivers right now. The timing is perfect for everyone.

It's not going to help that Conor smoked him off least weekend.
True, but Carlos has generally been stronger this year. But, and this is just some unsubstantiated stuff I've read online, ABC Supply supposedly have a favorable opinion of Conor. They seem to be very invested in IndyCar but I wonder how long they continue to support two cars. Carlos may have to bring something next year and the inability to do that was basically why he was left out at Andretti.

You guys think Kaanan and Castroneves are done?
There are so many rumors flying around the Acura DPi program that I really don't know what to think about Helio anymore. Think of the Porsche (and probably Toyota) LMP1 drivers who will be looking for at least additional work next year, in addition to guys already in the running like Ricky Taylor and Jenson Button, and it seems less and less likely that Helio will take one of those two seats. I do think he really wants to stay in IndyCar, but I'm not sure Roger wants to make that a reality. Could the improbable happen, and Helio leaves for CGR? It'd be wild but I don't think it can be ruled out right now.

Kanaan's prospects look pretty bleak to me. The Big Three aren't going to take him. SPM really doesn't seem like an ideal landing spot - I think they want someone young to pair with Hinch. I guess what would make the most sense would be some sort of mentor/development role at an upstart organization like Harding or Juncos or Carlin.

Boom:

Andretti Autosport announced today that it will continue using Honda engines in Verizon IndyCar Series competition in 2018, ending weeks of speculation that it might switch to Chevrolet.

A multiyear partnership agreement was announced. Andretti Autosport and Honda have teamed to win five Indianapolis 500 races – including three in the past four years – and three season championships.

“It’s no secret that we’ve been weighing this decision for a while now,” said Andretti Autosport CEO Michael Andretti. “We’ve had strong relationships and have marked milestones with both manufacturers, but we’re pleased to continue our Honda partnership. We have a great history of success with Honda and I have no doubt that, together, our collection of achievements will continue to grow.”

Of Andretti Autosport’s 56 wins in Verizon IndyCar Series competition, 47 have been with Honda power. That includes Indy 500 triumphs with Dan Wheldon (2005), Dario Franchitti (2007), Ryan Hunter-Reay (2014), Alexander Rossi (2016) and Takuma Sato (2017).

“We’re extremely happy to continue our successful partnership with Michael Andretti and Andretti Autosport,” said Art St. Cyr, president, Honda Performance Development. “As Michael stated, his team has played a major role in our success at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, including victories at three of the last four Indy 500s.

“In addition to success at Indianapolis, 47 of Honda’s 225 Indy car victories through the years have been scored by Andretti Autosport. Together, we’re looking forward to adding to this already-impressive total in the future.”

Andretti Autosport also confirmed that it has drivers Hunter-Reay and Marco Andretti under contract for 2018 and will announce its remaining driver lineup in the coming weeks.

I guess this actually does confirm that Taku will be at RLL next year:

Michael Andretti: ‘I don’t understand’ why Takuma Sato left for Rahal
https://amp.indystar.com/amp/618719001

LMP1 champ Hartley on Honda's IndyCar radar
http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/143665-lmp1-champ-hartley-on-honda-s-indycar-radar

Claman DeMelo in frame for Sonoma IndyCar drive
http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/143644-claman-demelo-in-frame-for-sonoma-indycar-drive

Those aero bits are of no use after Sonoma. Makes sense teams would want to field an extra entry if they have the chassis.

Also, at the end of the Andretti-Honda piece @Kiante posted it mentions only RHR and Marco are signed for next year - the Autoweek article on it mentions that Rossi is in serious negotations with SPM.

LMP1 champ Hartley on Honda's IndyCar radar

http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/143665-lmp1-champ-hartley-on-honda-s-indycar-radar

Claman DeMelo in frame for Sonoma IndyCar drive

http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/143644-claman-demelo-in-frame-for-sonoma-indycar-drive

Those aero bits are of no use after Sonoma. Makes sense teams would want to field an extra entry if they have the chassis.

Also, at the end of the Andretti-Honda piece @Kiante posted it mentions only RHR and Marco are signed for next year - the Autoweek article on it mentions that Rossi is in serious negotations with SPM.

IndyCar is going to get pretty big, with the new customer chassis, cheaper prices is going to equal a lot of interest. With Juncos, Carlin, and Harding wanting to go full-time we could see an additional six cars in the field. Thats huge, not to mention this is going to attract a lot of new and even bigger sponsors for the series. Expect some guys to come over into IndyCar within the next two years you would not expect and with the rumors of Alonso coming over to the US we could see an uptick of international drivers making the switch to the US. This explosion is not going to happen overnight, the series has to continue to impress the masses to get back to the popularity of the former CART days. Also, with the staples in Hunter-Reay, Castroneves, Dixon, Kaanan, Sato, and such are getting closer to the twilight of their careers changes are going to occur. Guys like Harley will look to IndyCar for interest, but it will hinge on how and what Alonso does in IndyCar, if he decides to make the switch on how he performs and how much he improves.

I cannot tell you just how big things can get, it maybe a slight downturn now, but I'm very optimistic about the future.

Drivers coming over from F1, is what caused Tony George to get his panties in a bunch, the first time around. We can only hope he sees things a little differently now.

True, but Carlos has generally been stronger this year.

No doubt but the timing was unfortunate. getting smoked off like that at contract time is not going to help him.

Conversely, if Conor ever needed to have a really good race, Gateway was it, and he responded.

LMAO at Michael Andretti whining that it's "unfair" for Sato to negotiate a new deal with another team. I guess it is fair for the team to negotiate with others, but unfair for the driver to do that??? Ha. And I guess it will also be unfair if Rossi signs with another under the same circumstances.

LMAO at Michael Andretti whining that it's "unfair" for Sato to negotiate a new deal with another team. I guess it is fair for the team to negotiate with others, but unfair for the driver to do that??? .

Mikey didn't say it was unfair Sato negotiated with another team. He said he thought it was unfair Sato didn't at least give him a chance to negotiate with him. Big difference.

I figure after you hand a guy the winning car in the Indy 500 he owes it to you at least sit across the table long enough to turn your offer down. Michael never even got the chance to make an offer.

Doesn't matter much though. Half that paddock wants that ride. That seat will be filled before the weekend is over at the Glen.

Drivers coming over from F1, is what caused Tony George to get his panties in a bunch, the first time around. We can only hope he sees things a little differently now.
I'd be surprised if TG has any actual responsibilities anymore, even after being reinstated to the board. I think it's mainly just Miles and Frye at this point.

Everyone else has moved on. We've got a great series and that's good enough for most people. We don't really care about what happened last century.

We've got a great series and that's good enough for most people.
Indycar has a long way to go to produce good racing at most venues. Winners and losers determined by when you pit in relation to caution flags is not good racing, IMO. I'm really bummed to read predictions that downforce will be about 15% lower next year... should be 60-75% lower IMO.

Interesting, it seems as if Kaanan has something in place for next year. Out of those teams, who would need him the most? I'd say Foyt at the expense of Munoz.

Andretti wants a fifth car, get some sponsorship first people.

Castroneves seems like a logical choice, if he wants to stay in IndyCar.

Indycar has a long way to go to produce good racing at most venues. Winners and losers determined by when you pit in relation to caution flags is not good racing, IMO. I'm really bummed to read predictions that downforce will be about 15% lower next year... should be 60-75% lower IMO.
Cautions affecting the outcome of a race is more of an American problem than anything else. Unless the line of thinking changes dramatically it'll also be a possibility here, although for all of the complaining from the teams about it it's happened maybe three times? It's not ideal but no one in any series here seems to want to adopt international protocol.

15% is a low-end estimate. I've read anywhere from 15% to one-third, so I guess we'll see. Regardless, the feedback from the tests so far sound favorable.

Cautions affecting the outcome of a race is more of an American problem than anything else. .

Well, for one thing we would rather have a safety car period than having the cars running at racing speed under yellow and flying off into a bunch of corner workers.

Since I saw that poor guy get run over at the Vancouver CART race, I'm ok with an occasional race ruined by an untimely full course yellow.

It's simple. Sato is a Honda man and when Andretti started negotiating with Chevy he decided to switch to Rahal. When Andretti decided to stay with Honda it was too late because Sato already made up his mind and probably had a contract signed.

It's simple. Sato is a Honda man and when Andretti started negotiating with Chevy he decided to switch to Rahal. When Andretti decided to stay with Honda it was too late because Sato already made up his mind and probably had a contract signed.

Mikey did leave it a little late. Funny though, once he made his move, there seems to be all kind of rumor and activity. Too many people were waiting to see what Andretti was going to do and now that it's getting so late there's a bit of a frenzy.

Still, while Sato had to make of move or risk being out in the cold, I think it would have been better to tell Mikey "I have to either stay or move now. If you can't assure me Honda is going to be here, I have to find a Honda team." That's how I would have wanted to be treated and probably how I would have done it.

Like, I am pretty sure Andretti wouldn't keep him if they switched to Chevy.......... it's all about money. Sato had to make sure he didn't get left out.

This will be a good move for Rahal. They have wanted to go to two cars for awhile. Next year with the new body kits they are going to need all the info and help they can get. A better choice would have been Servia (who has already driven the car), but he doesn't come with Honda money. As a team without full time mega sponsorship, this was probably the best bet for them.

Cautions affecting the outcome of a race is more of an American problem than anything else. Unless the line of thinking changes dramatically it'll also be a possibility here, although for all of the complaining from the teams about it it's happened maybe three times? It's not ideal but no one in any series here seems to want to adopt international protocol.

15% is a low-end estimate. I've read anywhere from 15% to one-third, so I guess we'll see. Regardless, the feedback from the tests so far sound favorable.
My post was poorly worded. What I meant to complain about is that nothing *else* seems to ever happen to change the running order, once the race starts, except leap frogging due to pit stop toming. In other words, no passing at most venues, just follow the leader. And I shouldn't say there is no passing, but ceryainly it is rare. A faster car should be able to get by a slower one, given a period of laps to work on it.

There is Indy, Pocono, Elkhart Lake. Maybe Watkins Glen??? Where else can one pass to the front?

My post was poorly worded. What I meant to complain about is that nothing *else* seems to ever happen to change the running order, once the race starts, except leap frogging due to pit stop toming. In other words, no passing at most venues, just follow the leader.

This is all a byproduct of cars that are too aero dependent racing on crappy tracks. The turbulence upsets the cars too much, so even on a good track it's difficult. Add to that too many narrow street circuits and you will see a lot of procession. Also remember how closely natched all these cars are.

First, we need less street races because those produce the worst racing. They also produce the most yellows and the most opportunity for someone to get screwed on pit stops strategy. Then we need more ovals, as evidenced by how well Gateway was received all the way around. If you look back over the year, the best races were the ovals. Phoenix was a little dull, but next yea's cars will race better there.

Next year's cars are going to be a lot better. Overall down force has not decreased that much, but with more coming from the underside than the top, they will make a lot less turbulence. That's going to help things an absolute ton.

And I shouldn't say there is no passing, but ceryainly it is rare. A faster car should be able to get by a slower one, given a period of laps to work on it.

We've been hearing about this almost forever in almost every series going. I remember it was 1969 that Lee Roy Yarborough used the first "slingshot" pass to win the Daytona 500 and after that everything was about aerodynamics. If you are going to go as fast as airplanes, you are going to have airplane type aerodynamics. Essentially, the genie is out of the bottle, and the only way to stop the problem from growing is to spec things out. If you look at Formula One, it's easy to see how ridiculous aero treatment can get when giving the engineers a free hand.

My post was poorly worded. What I meant to complain about is that nothing *else* seems to ever happen to change the running order, once the race starts, except leap frogging due to pit stop toming. In other words, no passing at most venues, just follow the leader. And I shouldn't say there is no passing, but ceryainly it is rare. A faster car should be able to get by a slower one, given a period of laps to work on it.

There is Indy, Pocono, Elkhart Lake. Maybe Watkins Glen??? Where else can one pass to the front?
Well I would say there are several factors - one of which Doc already alluded to. The aero kits made it harder to pass, for sure. Not only that but you also wound up with certain tracks that favored Honda and certain tracks that favored Chevy, so that reduces passing. And then road courses and street circuits are naturally going to be harder to pass on regardless of what kind of series is competing. But despite all that there is still a ton more action than there is in F1...I don't have any numbers in front of me but think even the IndyCar races with the least passing probably have more overtakes than the F1 races with the most.

I would definitely add Texas to your list, whether this year or prior. I'd actually say it were much more possible before with all of the grooves and the tire wear. Indy GP as well, and Barber and Mid-Ohio can be good. I don't like Sonoma a whole lot, and I thought the street courses were probably the most noticeable difference between the spec Dallara kits and the OEM kits.

Man I love seeing all these guys interested in Indycar, especially those who went through Indy Lights. But I don't know who would get pushed out of the series. I really like this core of drivers Indycar has. Castroneves I feel Indycar still needs. Kanaan I have liked for years and I know his best days are behind him but I would love to see him have a last season to kind of say goodbye, like we have seen in Nascar the past few years.

IndyCar is going to get pretty big, with the new customer chassis, cheaper prices is going to equal a lot of interest. With Juncos, Carlin, and Harding wanting to go full-time we could see an additional six cars in the field. Thats huge, not to mention this is going to attract a lot of new and even bigger sponsors for the series. Expect some guys to come over into IndyCar within the next two years you would not expect and with the rumors of Alonso coming over to the US we could see an uptick of international drivers making the switch to the US. This explosion is not going to happen overnight, the series has to continue to impress the masses to get back to the popularity of the former CART days. Also, with the staples in Hunter-Reay, Castroneves, Dixon, Kaanan, Sato, and such are getting closer to the twilight of their careers changes are going to occur. Guys like Harley will look to IndyCar for interest, but it will hinge on how and what Alonso does in IndyCar, if he decides to make the switch on how he performs and how much he improves.

I cannot tell you just how big things can get, it maybe a slight downturn now, but I'm very optimistic about the future.
I hope you're right, Indy Car does mostly everything right and could rival NASCAR again if things break their way.

I hope you're right, Indy Car does mostly everything right and could rival NASCAR again if things break their way.

Gotta start getting great American oval drivers again. That's the problem, Indy doesn't get the great sprint car drivers anymore to jump over. Imagine if Stewart, Gordon, Larson, Stenhouse were all in Indycar how much better the talent would be?

Gotta get more ovals on the circuit

Am I the only one that's not the biggest fan of ovals for IndyCar?

I like the mix already and IMHO I would like to see Michigan and Homestead back on the calendar. I also thought Richmond was a good track as well, but just a nice mix. We don't need IRL again pre road course mix.

Back
Top Bottom