2017 Kentucky - Quaker State 400 - Pre Race Thread

dpkimmel2001

Team Owner
EVENT SCHEDULE
Event Schedule times are local to the track

Thursday, July 6
3:30 - 5:30 PM MENCS HAULERS ENTER (EQUIPMENT UNLOAD)

Friday, July 7
7:30 AM - 10:00 PM MENCS GARAGE OPEN
9:00 AM MENCS ROOKIE MEETING, SPOTTER MEETING, & RANDOM DRAWING
10:00 - 11:55 AM MENCS 1ST PRACTICE
1:00 - 2:25 PM MENCS FINAL PRACTICE
6:15 PM MENCS QUALIFYING

Saturday, July 8
1:00 PM MENCS GARAGE OPENS
5:15 PM CONCERT
5:30 PM MENCS DRIVER / CREW CHIEF MEETING
6:50 PM MENCS DRIVER INTRODUCTIONS
7:30 PM MENCS RACE

MENCS = Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series
SCHEDULE SUBJECT TO CHANGE

NASCAR heads to Kentucky for a tripleheader of Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series, NASCAR XFINITY Series and NASCAR Camping World Truck Series action starting Wednesday, July 5. Check out the full weekend schedule below.

Note: All times are ET.

WEDNESDAY, JULY 5:
ON TRACK
– noon- 12:55 p.m.: NASCAR Camping World Truck Series first practice
– 2- 2:55 p.m.: NASCAR Camping World Truck Series second practice
– 4- 4:55 p.m.: NASCAR Camping World Truck Series final practice

THURSDAY, JULY 6:
ON TRACK
– 2- 2:55 p.m.: NASCAR XFINITY Series practice
– 4- 4:50 p.m.: NASCAR XFINITY Series second practice
– 5 p.m.: NASCAR Camping World Truck Series Keystone Light Pole Qualifying, FS1
– 6- 6:50 p.m.: NASCAR XFINITY Series final practice, NBCSN
– 7:30 p.m.: NASCAR Camping World Truck Series Buckle Up in Your Truck 225 (150 laps, 225 miles), FS1

GARAGECAM (Watch live)
– 1:30 p.m.: NASCAR XFINITY Series

FRIDAY, JULY 7:
ON TRACK
– 10-11:55 a.m.: Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series first practice
– 1-2:25 p.m.: Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series final practice, NBCSN
– 4:30 p.m.: NASCAR XFINITY Series Coors Light Pole Qualifying, NBCSN
– 6:15 p.m.: Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series Coors Light Pole Qualifying, NBCSN
– 8 p.m.: NASCAR XFINITY Series Alsco 300 (200 laps, 300 miles), NBCSN

GARAGECAM (Watch live)
– 9:30 a.m.: Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series

SATURDAY, JULY 8:
ON TRACK
– 7:30 p.m.: Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series Quaker State 400 Presented by Advance Auto Parts (267 laps, 400.5 miles), NBCSN

wow, I just realized how horrific july's schedule really is. Kentucky, New Hampshire, Indy, pocono again for some reason?

I'll be there, weather will be bad all week but looks good for the weekend hopefully.

Me too! I'll be in Grandstand 2 section B! I'm driving out to Cincinnati Friday, golfing Saturday morning than the race Saturday night! I went last year and loved it! I was really impressed with the track and the racing! Can't wait for this weekend!

Me too! I'll be in Grandstand 2 section B! I'm driving out to Cincinnati Friday, golfing Saturday morning than the race Saturday night! I went last year and loved it! I was really impressed with the track and the racing! Can't wait for this weekend!
Which do you like better????? The golfing...... ? or the race? :D

Which do you like better????? The golfing...... ? or the race? :D

Well since I'm managing two rounds of golf (Harbour Links in Indiana Saturday morning and Olde Stonewall in western PA on my way back to Northeastern PA Sunday) relative to one race some might say golf. Which is probably true since I work in the golf industry lol but I do love racing.

I was blown away by Kentucky last year in terms of the quality of racing. It was a last minute decision to go. The combo of the reconfigure, great seats for $60 and a night race (first since '02 Pepsi 400) sold me on the trip. I'm not a fan of 1.5 milers but Kentucky might end up being the best of the lot. This race should paint a better picture.

The facility itself is really nice but rather simple which I like. And traffic getting in and out was a breeze. I'm not going to leave my hotel in Cincinnati until 3 or 330 this year. I got there way too early last year and roasted in the heat. Great thing is when this race is over Pocono will be only 3 weeks away!

I'm still undecided about a potential 4th race this year. Bristol, Michigan and Dover on the radar. Dover is only a day trip. The other 2 are easy 3 day weekends.

Last edited:
Kentucky is a nice facility went there in 2014, had a great time. Hope you enjoy it!

wow, I just realized how horrific july's schedule really is. Kentucky, New Hampshire, Indy, pocono again for some reason?

Pocono has always had a short turn around due to the track wanting to capitalize on vacation season in the Poconos. Back in the late 80's, early 90's the races were only 4 weeks apart.

Pocono is such a weird and interesting track. I thought about heading to Kentucky but I've got Eldora in two weeks so that's my stock car race for the month

18 is going to win.

Kyle needs a win very soon or he will have gone an entire year without visiting victory lane. I never thought I would see him go this long between wins but he is also capable of winning 4 of the next 6 too.

Nascar does have a tough schedule for about 90 days after Memorial Day with 2 Pocono and 2 MIS races but there are 2 road courses and Kentucky has turned from a nightmare into a decent race. I hope the stages don't screw it up.

Kyle needs a win very soon or he will have gone an entire year without visiting victory lane. I never thought I would see him go this long between wins but he is also capable of winning 4 of the next 6 too.

I am not surprised. This sport is brutal. Very difficult to win. This has not been a horrid season IMO. Car is good. Driver is good. Wins will come or they may not. For some of us, this is the intrigue of this sport. For others....TV ratings, attendance, rule changes, Brian France, etc.

Every week, I anticipate the breakthrough win for 2017. It is this anticipation that is the rush for me. Great stuff.

It's pretty bad when the officials can't even make it to the track on time.
Per Jennifer Jo Cobb...
"The activities @KentuckySpeedway are delayed several hours today due to an issue w the chartered plane for NASCAR officials and several big teams."

First truck practice delayed 3 hours.

TIRE CODES

Tire: Goodyear Eagle Speedway Radials

Set limits:
Cup: 4 sets for practice, 1 set for qualifying and 8 sets for the race
Xfinity: 8 sets for the event
Truck: 7 sets for the event

Tire Codes:
Left-side -- D-4688 Right-side -- D-4750

Tire Circumference:
Left-side -- 87.56 in. (2,224 mm)
Right-side -- 88.58 in. (2,250 mm)

Minimum Recommended Inflation:
Left Front -- 25 psi Left Rear -- 25 psi
Right Front -- 54 psi Right Rear -- 50 psi

Storyline - Tire Test Yields Answers to New Surface Questions: For the second year in a row, NASCAR returns to Kentucky Speedway with a brand new track surface. After reconfiguring and repaving before the 2016 races, the speedway laid down another four-inch layer of asphalt on top for 2017. Because of that, Goodyear held a tire test at the Sparta, Ky.-based speedway in May. The goal of that test was both to tune the grip to the fresh surface as the Cup and Xfinity Series go to lower downforce packages and induce more wear on a new surface that won't easily wear tires and take on rubber. The reason why the latter is important is two-fold - (1) when tires wear it often puts a premium on tire management and maintaining the car's balance over the course of a full fuel run, and (2) when a track takes rubber, it creates multiple racing grooves and creates conditions for better racing.

Notes: Teams in all three NASCAR national series in action at Kentucky this week will run the same tire set-up . . . teams will run the same left-side tire code (D-4688) as last year at Kentucky, but with a new right-side code (D-4750) . . . compared to what was run last season, this right-side tire features a compound change to give more grip and introduce more wear . . . this tire set-up came out of a Goodyear test at Kentucky on May 9-10 . . . drivers participating in that test were Kurt Busch, Austin Dillon, Erik Jones and Jamie McMurray . . . as on all NASCAR ovals greater than one mile in length, teams are required to run liners in all four tire positions at Kentucky . . . air pressure in those inner liners should be 12-25 psi greater than that of the outer tire.

JAYSKI ... thanks

I am not surprised. This sport is brutal. Very difficult to win. This has not been a horrid season IMO. Car is good. Driver is good. Wins will come or they may not. For some of us, this is the intrigue of this sport. For others....TV ratings, attendance, rule changes, Brian France, etc.

Every week, I anticipate the breakthrough win for 2017. It is this anticipation that is the rush for me. Great stuff.

It hasn't been very difficult or brutal for Ricky Stenhouse, Jimmie Johnson, Kyle Larson, Ryan Newman, Austin Dillon, Kevin Harvick, Kurt Busch, Chris Buescher, Carl Edwards, Martin Truex, BKez and Ryan Blaney and who knows who else.

As far as anticipation goes I get that with a new bottle of Heinz and many others have the capacity to follow more than one aspect of the series at one time so they can be fans of cars and drivers and devote time to other things going on in the series too. It is a chewing gum/walking thing!!!

It hasn't been very difficult or brutal for Ricky Stenhouse, Jimmie Johnson, Kyle Larson, Ryan Newman, Austin Dillon, Kevin Harvick, Kurt Busch, Chris Buescher, Carl Edwards, Martin Truex, BKez and Ryan Blaney and who knows who else.

As far as anticipation goes I get that with a new bottle of Heinz and many others have the capacity to follow more than one aspect of the series at one time so they can be fans of cars and drivers and devote time to other things going on in the series too. It is a chewing gum/walking thing!!!
Carl Edwards is putting in crops.

EVENT SCHEDULE
Event Schedule times are local to the track

Thursday, July 6
3:30 - 5:30 PM MENCS HAULERS ENTER (EQUIPMENT UNLOAD)

Friday, July 7
7:30 AM - 10:00 PM MENCS GARAGE OPEN
9:00 AM MENCS ROOKIE MEETING, SPOTTER MEETING, & RANDOM DRAWING
10:00 - 11:55 AM MENCS 1ST PRACTICE
1:00 - 2:25 PM MENCS FINAL PRACTICE
6:15 PM MENCS QUALIFYING

Saturday, July 8
1:00 PM MENCS GARAGE OPENS
5:15 PM CONCERT
5:30 PM MENCS DRIVER / CREW CHIEF MEETING
6:50 PM MENCS DRIVER INTRODUCTIONS
7:30 PM MENCS RACE

MENCS = Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series
SCHEDULE SUBJECT TO CHANGE

Seems like it should be a real honor for @dpkimmel2001, for Kentucky Speedway to like Pennsylvania so much that they just up and named their own race the Quaker State race. Kentucky remembers the 2012 RF YFL champion.

It is the only logical conclusion I can reach. I wonderd if they might have just misspelled "Quack" but even if appropriate I don't think they would brag about that. They probably wanted to avoid the "My cousin in her hawt Daisy Dukes 400" too, so they just decided to honour Pennsylvania instead. Congratulations again.

I am thinking that even the Fort Worth Skyline aint never been fit, to be so spontaneously honoured by an outsider like that....

THURSDAY, JULY 6:
ON TRACK
– 2- 2:55 p.m.: NASCAR XFINITY Series practice, NBC Sports App (Follow live)
– 4- 4:50 p.m.: NASCAR XFINITY Series practice, NBC Sports App (Follow live)
– 5 p.m.: NASCAR Camping World Truck Series Keystone Light Pole Qualifying, FS1 (Follow live)
– 6- 6:50 p.m.: NASCAR XFINITY Series final practice, NBCSN (Follow live)
– 7:30 p.m.: NASCAR Camping World Truck Series Buckle Up in Your Truck 225 (150 laps, 225 miles), FS1 (Follow live)

PRESS PASS (Watch live)
– 1 p.m.: Erik Jones
– 1:15 p.m.: William Byron, Cole Custer and Brendan Gaughan
– 1:30 p.m.: Ben Rhodes
– 10 p.m.: Post-NASCAR Camping World Truck Series race

GARAGECAM (Watch live)
– 1:30 p.m.: NASCAR XFINITY Series

FRIDAY, JULY 7:
ON TRACK

– 8:30-9:55 a.m.: NASCAR XFINITY Series practice (Follow live) (Canada: TSN GO)
– 10-11:55 a.m.: Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series practice, NBC Sports App (Follow live) (Canada: TSN GO)
– 1-2:25 p.m.: Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series final practice, NBCSN (Follow live) (Canada: TSN 2)
– 4:30 p.m.: NASCAR XFINITY Series Coors Light Pole Qualifying, NBCSN (Follow live) (Canada: TSN GO)
– 6:15 p.m.: Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series Coors Light Pole Qualifying, NBCSN (Follow live) (Canada: TSN 2)
– 8 p.m.: NASCAR XFINITY Series Alsco 300 (200 laps, 300 miles), NBCSN (Follow live) (Canada: TSN 2)

PRESS PASS (Watch live)
– 9:15 a.m.: Matt Kenseth
– 12:20 p.m.: Dale Earnhardt Jr.
– 3 p.m.: Ricky Stenhouse Jr.
– 3:30 p.m.: Quaker State
– 7:30 p.m.: Post-Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series qualifying
– 11 p.m.: Post-NASCAR XFINITY Series race

GARAGECAM (Watch live)
– 9:30 a.m.: Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series

Kentucky responds to driver complaints about surface treatment

Responding to driver complaints about how the surface of Kentucky Speedway was treated this week, track officials said they merely are doing what drivers said worked last year.

"I think we know what we're doing," Steve Swift told NBC Sports in a Thursday interview.

The vice president of operations and development for Speedway Motorsports Inc. (the 1.5-mile speedway's parent company) said feedback was overwhelmingly positive after the July 2016 race when Kentucky treated the bottom groove in the wake of repaving earlier in the year.

After an additional layer of asphalt was added last October, Swift said "we felt we did the right thing, so we duplicated" it using its Tire Dragon machine on the bottom lane.

"I think what a lot of drivers are forgetting is this track was resurfaced," Swift said. "It's a brand new racetrack. So on a new track, you have to put rubber down in what is the groove, not what you want the groove to be."

http://www.espn.com/jayski/cup/2017...-responds-driver-complaints-surface-treatment

DEIWSqzWsAAW09b.jpg:large

Back
Top Bottom