2017 NASCAR Season - Television Ratings Thread

Years ago I went to 12 MIS races in a row. The stands were packed and you barely had enough room for your own numbered seat. Sardines comes to mind. Hot, sweaty, muggy, you didnt dare have a beer and later try to excuse yourself to use the john and you knew for sure if the person sitting next to you used deodorant. (or not) Your knees were in the back of the head of the row in front of you. I saw some good races ( even Dale Sr win one) but it was too much. Over 110k in attendance was normal. Yesterday's MIS race, I'm just guessing 20-22k or lots of leg room. Maybe its time to go back?

I can side with this. Like the racing or not that the speedway provides, fans have been packing the place full... until yesterday's race. I was shocked to see so many open seats. Both races in 2015 for example I had people watching from home texting me saying it looked packed out, I thought so based on where I was sitting.. I cannot believe the fall off right now.

Mixed emotions. I understand the frustration with so many unnecessary changes, but I'm sad at the same moment seeing something we all like start to hurt this much.

And to who mentioned it a couple posts before me.. about the tv networks having a large role. I completely agree. I've been saying for years, I too am in an area where the cable packages don't offer fs1 and nbcs... I know my area isn't the only one in the country... so how do you expect those people to care. My nostalgia and 23 years of going to races keeps me involved... but if I was a newer fan and this stuff disappeared off my tv channels I'm sure I'd just find something else to do without much care...

As long as viewership continues to dwindle the networks will have a large say in things as they are overpaying for what they are receiving and are likely very cranky.

As long as viewership continues to dwindle the networks will have a large say in things as they are overpaying for what they are receiving and are likely very cranky.
Brian France's greatest feat may have been securing this ridiculously overpriced TV deal with virtually zero competition. I'm sure he'll get a HOF plaque in Charlotte just for that.

Not so sure that is correct, I haven't read anywhere from a reliable source who is employed by either network complaining about over paying? There might be an article some where written by a network executive, but all I have seen are forum finance experts opinions. A broken record almost every day affair. pining away for the good ol days? Truth is the ratings had been falling since 2005, 47 % worth from 2005 to 2015 when the latest deal was made. Knowing of the decline obviously, the networks bid for the rights from 2015 to 2025. If whiners want a reason to whine, look at their cable bills as they continue to rise. Criers and fans alike are paying. :D Cheer or Cry away, we all pay.

http://awfulannouncing.com/racing/tv-networks-press-nascar-major-changes-reverse-ratings-slide.html

"One of those insights WSJ reports is NBC executives pressing NASCAR to do something drastic to reverse the ratings decline, which led to the thinktank meeting that produced the idea to race in stages. With the networks paying hundreds of millions of dollars for NASCAR television packages and the races likely not producing the ratings anticipated, NBC and Fox are pushing hard to get a better return on their investment than they’re currently receiving."

It was reported that NBC had a meeting prior to this that the little bloated alkie didn't bother showing up for and the network execs were not happy. The networks have no one but themselves to blame for overpaying for broadcast rights as CBS was not interested and ABC/ESPN and TNT could not run away from Nascar fast enough. I don't recall reading any other broadcaster bidding for Nascar properties so FOX-NBC should have done what Monster did and offer an amount they were willing to pay and walking away if Nascar didn't accept.

How do the figures dpkimmel posted that Bob Pockrass reported contradict that?

The Dover numbers from the other thread were from public financial disclosures.

I wondered the same thing myself but didn't want to cause a ruckus as some people don't like being questioned or challenged and then there are others like me who welcome it and appreciate being corrected if wrong. You asked a fair question which deserves an answer.

http://awfulannouncing.com/racing/tv-networks-press-nascar-major-changes-reverse-ratings-slide.html

"One of those insights WSJ reports is NBC executives pressing NASCAR to do something drastic to reverse the ratings decline, which led to the thinktank meeting that produced the idea to race in stages. With the networks paying hundreds of millions of dollars for NASCAR television packages and the races likely not producing the ratings anticipated, NBC and Fox are pushing hard to get a better return on their investment than they’re currently receiving."

It was reported that NBC had a meeting prior to this that the little bloated alkie didn't bother showing up for and the network execs were not happy. The networks have no one but themselves to blame for overpaying for broadcast rights as CBS was not interested and ABC/ESPN and TNT could not run away from Nascar fast enough. I don't recall reading any other broadcaster bidding for Nascar properties so FOX-NBC should have done what Monster did and offer an amount they were willing to pay and walking away if Nascar didn't accept.

Moving to network TV is the reason we have: debris cautions, stages, playoffs, double file restarts, green white checkered finishes, etc etc etc. They used to run races for the sake of running races, not for the sake of TV drama. I don't suspect things will get any better until this TV deal ends and the only two stations competing for the new contract are the Sci Fi Channel and the Food Network.

The last 2 MIS June races had around 3.5 million viewers so to see a 9% drop this year is disappointing. Five years ago the race had 5.3 million viewers which make this year's 3.1 million viewers off about 40% and that has got to leave a mark.

It looks like about 65-70% of the watchers from home were over 50 and about 11% were in the 18-34 group.

The last 2 MIS June races had around 3.5 million viewers so to see a 9% drop this year is disappointing. Five years ago the race had 5.3 million viewers which make this year's 3.1 million viewers off about 40% and that has got to leave a mark.

It looks like about 65-70% of the watchers from home were over 50 and about 11% were in the 18-34 group.
OUCH!

NASCAR should put zombies on the track and call it The Racing Dead. Or maybe NBC can the races on USA after Raw or MSNBC after Rachel Maddow's show. :lol2:

Not a bad idea as the demo would move in the right direction and the entertainment value would be good. Maybe it could be Kyle Busch versus the zombie dudes.

Have to think we're reaching the point where the numbers start flat-lining for the rest of summer with the core fans that are tuning in every week. I'd like to think there's a base of 2.5 to 3 million viewers are still die-hard NASCAR fans.

Have to think we're reaching the point where the numbers start flat-lining for the rest of summer with the core fans that are tuning in every week. I'd like to think there's a base of 2.5 to 3 million viewers are still die-hard NASCAR fans.
I hope you're right but I'm not so sure. I thought the ratings might increase this year due to the changes but I was terribly wrong. I hope I'm wrong again.

*The 4 races beginning with the fall Richmond race are never well supported and 2 of them had 2.5 million viewers and the other 2 had 2.7 million. Four of the last 10 races had less than 3 million viewers last year and if current trends hold they will all be less than 2.5 million this year and it is entirely possible we may have our first non weather related sub-2 million viewed race in 2018.

*It may seem bizarre to some of you but I enjoy talking about this stuff but I think sitting inside on a beautiful day watching commercials as a race occasionally breaks out is bizarre too. Different strokes for different folks so if this sort of discussion is not to your liking please excuse yourself and be happy!

I hope you're right but I'm not so sure. I thought the ratings might increase this year due to the changes but I was terribly wrong. I hope I'm wrong again.

I thought the lack of race attenders and viewers would have subsided by now and I was hopeful that this would be the year things began stabilizing mainly due to Monster's participation. IMO they got into the game late so I can understand that things won't change in the first half of the year but in the second half we should be able to see if they can make a difference.

I thought the lack of race attenders and viewers would have subsided by now and I was hopeful that this would be the year things began stabilizing mainly due to Monster's participation. IMO they got into the game late so I can understand that things won't change in the first half of the year but in the second half we should be able to see if they can make a difference.
I can't see that having Monster as the sponsor will make a lick of difference other than the Monster girls are much more appealing than the Sprint Cup girls that looked like they were dressed for the Arctic Circle.

The brief shots of the stands on Sunday were the barest bleachers I've seen since Indy last year.

I can't see that having Monster as the sponsor will make a lick of difference other than the Monster girls are much more appealing than the Sprint Cup girls that looked like they were dressed for the Arctic Circle.

I really thought that Monster could so some good with cross promotions at its popular events as apparently there is such a thing as the Monster lifestyle and people enjoy whatever that is. So far it has been crickets.

I really thought that Monster could so some good with cross promotions at its popular events as apparently there is such a thing as the Monster lifestyle and people enjoy whatever that is. So far it has been crickets.
I was hoping for the same...... maybe it's too early to judge.....:idunno: Maybe bringing in fans is just too monumental of a task.... Brian has pretty much screwed everything up to the point that it would take a Wizard to fix things...... I guess maybe Brian isn't the only contributing factor.... Greed...... from the teams, drivers , owners and track owners..... along with everything else... The Golden Goose can only lay so many eggs before you kill her.......

An old fellow told me years ago..... ''You can shear a sheep many a times..... but..... you can only skin him once''..........

I have used that phrase many times and it is a really good teaching tool with youngsters starting out.

I was at the Dub custom car show in Charlotte with my son last month.They had a Monster booth with the Monster Girls but nothing NASCAR related.I just think the Monster Energy changing the demographic was over blown from the start.It is a great deal for Monster for what they're paying vs a car sponsor.

Probably going to be tough to get that 18-34 group to sit at home on a weekend afternoon when there's so much else to be doing these days. Heck, I'm in the over 50 crowd but I spend very little time sitting in my living-room on a Sunday afternoon.

Are there any stats out there that show the total number of people sitting at home in June 2017 vs. June 2000? I'm too lazy to look back at all the charts that have been posted but I think it's a pipe dream to think that NASCAR can ever get back to its best days..... At least as far a capturing the home viewer.

Probably going to be tough to get that 18-34 group to sit at home on a weekend afternoon when there's so much else to be doing these days. Heck, I'm in the over 50 crowd but I spend very little time sitting in my living-room on a Sunday afternoon.

Are there any stats out there that show the total number of people sitting at home in June 2017 vs. June 2000? I'm too lazy to look back at all the charts that have been posted but I think it's a pipe dream to think that NASCAR can ever get back to its best days..... At least as far a capturing the home viewer.

IDK how many people sit around at any given time but I do know there is a large number of people who are quite satisfied sitting or standing around with an electronic device doing whatever they do to keep themselves entertained. IDK how many people still insist on watching sporting events live but from what I have read here there must be quite a few as I believe there is a weekly thread that follows each race live and also other devices people use during a race that wouldn't work on a delayed basis.

I doubt even the most optimistic of people think Nascar will ever rebound to the glory days and for me it is not even a question. I am interested in things many people don't give a flying fig about and one of them is things changing tastes and trends. If you are over 50 you remember all the roadside rest areas where mom and dad would stop with the kids and have a picnic before resuming their journey, 5 and dime stores and all day adventures on bicycles. Some of those things are completely gone while others have morphed into something else.

I am fascinated with what is going on with the business side of Nascar and trying to figure out what the future will look like for it. How many years will it be before the losses in viewer and race attenders stabilize? What impact will the shortage of sponsors have on charters, number of teams and performance of teams? What impact will Monster have on the series? What will be the next lame brain idea Nascar gets? I understand that most people don't care that the June 2017 MIS race had 40% less viewers then it did in 2012 and that 2017 was down 9-10% over the year before. As long as things remain the same all is good for them and I can respect that but I like to look at things in a different light.

37 cars to start the race means its failing within as well. When I went to MIS,( a few years ago) there were 43 cars to start and they usually sent 2 to 4 cars home that didn't qualify.

37 cars to start the race means its failing within as well. When I went to MIS,( a few years ago) there were 43 cars to start and they usually sent 2 to 4 cars home that didn't qualify.

If current trends hold we should start seeing fields with 35 cars and less next year unless some more field filler quality cars and drivers are entered. So far the contraction of field size and teams sponsorships have been slow and deliberate but I think the dam could break as more companies scrutinize the value they derive from associating with Nascar. I will be one of just a few people that will be interested in seeing how it plays out.

Going back to "the good old days is relative." Are we talking when attendance and ratings were off the charts or the 80s when it was growing yet still a regional sport? It's a bit like the NHL, they are trying to be a mainstream national sport where teams in non-traditional markets are struggling instead of focusing on the historical hockey markets. Maybe NASCAR will return to a time where they realize they are no longer mainstream national and return to a regional sport.

The 1986 Bristol race I went to had 32 cars start, yet that's a time when most of the sponsors were regional yet everybody seems to reminisce about those days.

The TV ratings decline might also be impacted slightly by the choice to isolate viewing onto cable networks. I get that the great majority of people use satellite or cable, but more are cutting the cord completely or using streaming alternatives. Among those options some do not have FS1 as part of a common package. Racing fans? Sure we make certain we have access. Casual fans or curious onlookers may never come across it.

No matter, this is serious erosion. In any other business, this steep a drop would have resulted in major cost cutting and changes, but TV money is the lifeblood of the sport.

Going back to "the good old days is relative." Are we talking when attendance and ratings were off the charts or the 80s when it was growing yet still a regional sport? It's a bit like the NHL, they are trying to be a mainstream national sport where teams in non-traditional markets are struggling instead of focusing on the historical hockey markets. Maybe NASCAR will return to a time where they realize they are no longer mainstream national and return to a regional sport.

The 1986 Bristol race I went to had 32 cars start, yet that's a time when most of the sponsors were regional yet everybody seems to reminisce about those days.

*I bet you saw the #27 Alugard Pontiac at that race. I had some good times being a Nascar fan in the 80's and the first part of the 90's as I enjoyed that time period more than I do today.

*Before anyone has a meltdown I was giving my opinion of a time period in which I really enjoyed Nascar. I am not saying the series was better or worse just that I enjoyed it more.

I honestly thought this would be the year we would start to see ratings stabilize or even see a slight uptick. Daytona was encouraging, but everything else has been down aside from a few races. It does seem like the declines are slowing at most tracks. Maybe next year we will see things stabilize? (I've been saying that for close to 10 years now)

*I bet you saw the #27 Alugard Pontiac at that race. I had some good times being a Nascar fan in the 80's and the first part of the 90's as I enjoyed that time period more than I do today.

*Before anyone has a meltdown I was giving my opinion of a time period in which I really enjoyed Nascar. I am not saying the series was better or worse just that I enjoyed it more.

You know it, Rusty's first Cup win.

The TV ratings decline might also be impacted slightly by the choice to isolate viewing onto cable networks. I get that the great majority of people use satellite or cable, but more are cutting the cord completely or using streaming alternatives. Among those options some do not have FS1 as part of a common package. Racing fans? Sure we make certain we have access. Casual fans or curious onlookers may never come across it.

No matter, this is serious erosion. In any other business, this steep a drop would have resulted in major cost cutting and changes, but TV money is the lifeblood of the sport.

It would be interesting to know what type of contingencies are built into the broadcast deals. I am sure the networks didn't just agree to pay Nascar billions of dollars without some sort of performance clauses but they were dumb enough to overpay to begin with so who knows?

The TV deal assures Nascar and the tracks will get paid but what about the teams? The charters aren't worth the paper they are printed on and several teams are having sponsorship issues and I find it all an interesting dynamic.

Maybe we all have such fond memories from the 80's and 90's it was very affordable back then for a family to attend.I remember the free cigarettes my dad would get.

Back
Top Bottom