2017 NASCAR Season - Television Ratings Thread

amazing that they are moving the Eldora truck race to Fox business because of kickball when kickball has those numbers.
I will make a wild guess and say that Soccer has less viewers than Trucks but has a better demographic. Just a guess though.
I know they were on FOX but those Confederations Cup figures would be good for a Truck race. Eldora got 696k and 644k the last two years. Consider that the Confed. Cup is about the fourth-most popular international soccer tournament amongst Americans behind the World Cup, Gold Cup, and Copa America and the presumption that the USA will be playing in the Gold Cup match that replaced Eldora and you can see why FOX did what they did. I'll expect at least 1.2m for that match.

I've had a problem with the ratings system that all my life I have never heard of or known a person who is hooked up to their very small ratings system. I have been on a number of racing boards over the years and I have never seen anybody say they were part of the rating system. Now with streaming and multiple platforms and from what Nascar says they have their own way of measuring viewership. Confusing.

IDK how the number of viewers for golf stacks up against Nascar but I don't think judgments can be made on just 1 week's worth of info.

A while back @FLRacingFan fan had posted stats regarding the number of viewers that streamed Nascar content and it was not that high. IDK about illegal streams or even if they should be counted.

IDK what people feel is a reasonable amount to pay for cable/sat/streaming service but I think that in addition to your budget your perspective is really important. If you spend 3 bucks a day on coffee, energy drinks, lottery tickets or other things you could take some of that money and get anice plan through Playstation Vue that gets you all the Nascar programming plus a lot of other good stuff for 50 bucks a month. An antenna will get most folks all the over the air stations so you would be pretty well set.

IDK why NBC has so many Cup races on NBCS but IDK what shows are on the main network at the same time either.

I know they were on FOX but those Confederations Cup figures would be good for a Truck race. Eldora got 696k and 644k the last two years. Consider that the Confed. Cup is about the fourth-most popular international soccer tournament amongst Americans behind the World Cup, Gold Cup, and Copa America and the presumption that the USA will be playing in the Gold Cup match that replaced Eldora and you can see why FOX did what they did. I'll expect at least 1.2m for that match.

I should have been aware of the truck ratings but was not so thanks for posting them. As much noise is made about trucks and Eldora I figured they would have around 1.5 million viewers seeing it is a unique event at a unique track.

IDK how the number of viewers for golf stacks up against Nascar but I don't think judgments can be made on just 1 week's worth of info.

A while back @FLRacingFan fan had posted stats regarding the number of viewers that streamed Nascar content and it was not that high. IDK about illegal streams or even if they should be counted.

IDK what people feel is a reasonable amount to pay for cable/sat/streaming service but I think that in addition to your budget your perspective is really important. If you spend 3 bucks a day on coffee, energy drinks, lottery tickets or other things you could take some of that money and get anice plan through Playstation Vue that gets you all the Nascar programming plus a lot of other good stuff for 50 bucks a month. An antenna will get most folks all the over the air stations so you would be pretty well set.

IDK why NBC has so many Cup races on NBCS but IDK what shows are on the main network at the same time either.
FSGo streams are up big year-over-year in percentages, not so much in volume. The most-steamed race, the Daytona 500, averaged an audience just under 40k. Add in a myriad of undocumented streams and you're still talking small potatoes compared to a drop in over 650k TV viewers as we saw with Sonoma. And I say that as someone who does a decent amount of streaming through the Amazon Fire Stick myself.

I should have been aware of the truck ratings but was not so thanks for posting them. As much noise is made about trucks and Eldora I figured they would have around 1.5 million viewers seeing it is a unique event at a unique track.
The inaugural event had about 1.4m viewers and still stands as one of the Top 10 most-watched Truck races ever, I think. 2014 averaged 873k. I like it still but I think for many it was just a novelty and nostalgia thing.

FSGo streams are up big year-over-year in percentages, not so much in volume. The most-steamed race, the Daytona 500, averaged an audience just under 40k. Add in a myriad of undocumented streams and you're still talking small potatoes compared to a drop in over 650k TV viewers as we saw with Sonoma. And I say that as someone who does a decent amount of streaming through the Amazon Fire Stick myself.

Thanks very much for the info as it is a small amount.

I don't quite see how unless it's a night race. I mean if a race starts at 2 or 230 east coast are people really more likely to wait all morning to not start activities so that they can be ready for when the cup race finally comes on? ... on one hand I get the idea of people being out and about and when they're done with their events of the day maybe late in the afternoon they get in just in time to see the closing laps of a race. I just can't imagine people are planning their day around a race that doesn't start until 230 or maybe even 3 east coast time...

If you are already out doing something fun, you're not going to stop at 2pm just to get ready for a race... no, you'll carry it until later in the day.

I don't quite see how unless it's a night race. I mean if a race starts at 2 or 230 east coast are people really more likely to wait all morning to not start activities so that they can be ready for when the cup race finally comes on? ... on one hand I get the idea of people being out and about and when they're done with their events of the day maybe late in the afternoon they get in just in time to see the closing laps of a race. I just can't imagine people are planning their day around a race that doesn't start until 230 or maybe even 3 east coast time...

If you are already out doing something fun, you're not going to stop at 2pm just to get ready for a race... no, you'll carry it until later in the day.

I am not 100% but I think the green flag is waving at around 3:30 PM EDT for at least some of the afternoon races. I seem to remember reading where Nascar said that later start times best meet the needs of the fans and the teams and it allows more time for the fans to travel and buy tickets. I will be the first to admit that I don't see how it helps the teams and I don't see how it helps the fans at home and I think it could hurt race attendance. JMO.

West. Coast. Viewers.

West. Coast. Viewers.

I also read somewhere that Nascar wants the races to get close to or bleed over into prime time. Do you remember in 2015 what a boost the season finale got when the race went into Sunday Night Football time? I was madder than a wet hen as I enjoy that show but what was bad for me was good for Nascar.

Heh, heh, heh………. Yeah…….. Gotta be better………

Folks into football ‘n motorsports entertainment both are already two hours into the early game ‘n when that ends the late one.

Those folks are gonna cut out to catch NASCAR? This one ain’t.

West. Coast. Viewers.
I see the point.

But there's nothing backing up that it helps though. The start times are solidly set for west coast, more so now than ever... the Michigan race a couple weeks ago starting at 315 is ridiculous, and look at the weekly ratings... seems like west coast fans need to remember to turn their tv on if they care so much...

It's enough of a reason for a race like Michigan that I might hold off. I don't want to walk out of grandstands at 645 in the evening on a work night. So if the numbers aren't improving shove the races back to 1:15 green flag starts on east coast time.

The networks are the ones that made the change it was announced a long time ago what they were doing.

it is better for the networks also, gets the show closer to prime time. Nascar still pulls great numbers for the cable sporting networks.

That is a great plan! Do what is best for Nascar and the networks and forget about the fans.......oh wait.......this just in......Nascar fans have been asking for late afternoon race starts for years......carry on........:D

I also read somewhere that Nascar wants the races to get close to or bleed over into prime time. Do you remember in 2015 what a boost the season finale got when the race went into Sunday Night Football time? I was madder than a wet hen as I enjoy that show but what was bad for me was good for Nascar.
From the day the contract was announced it was made known that NBC wanted to use NASCAR as a lead-in to FNIA sometimes.

Folks into football ‘n motorsports entertainment both are already two hours into the early game ‘n when that ends the late one.

Those folks are gonna cut out to catch NASCAR? This one ain’t.

Seeing as the Jaguars are usually down by three or four touchdowns by the time the race starts, I'll end up turning on the race.

From the day the contract was announced it was made known that NBC wanted to use NASCAR as a lead-in to FNIA sometimes.
Also in NBC's case it just makes sense not to start right after the early NFL window kick offs, with the whole race running parallel to eight or nine games. With the later start times the race can end in the first half of the late NFL window when there's a lot less competition.

NBC's broadcast of the NASCAR Coke Zero 400 race won by a landslide with a 1.0 average rating in the night. It was the only program to reach the 1.0 barrier with an average of 5.01 million viewers.

In 2016 the rating was 3.4 with 5.7 million viewers on NBC, per Nielsen fast-nationals. Not sure why the difference in the Rating, but the viewers is not too far off, 13%

Source, TV by the Numbers via E$PAskyi.

5 million viewers is great as is winning the night but I disagree that losing 700,000 viewers in a year "is not too far off." Losing 700K would be similar to losing all the viewers in cities like Seattle, Denver or the District of Columbia or having your wages drop from 52K per year down to 44,700.

At the rate of decline year over year NASCAR viewership is dropping, they'll be lucky to get 5 million for the Daytona 500 in the 2020s.

Or develop East Coast/West Coast rivalries like rappers did in the 90s but without the shootings. RIP Biggie and Tupac. :D

We need Suge to go to Daytona and hold a few people out the window by their ankles.

notorious-rap-mogul-suge-knight-faces-murder-trial-for-a-hit-and-run.jpg

At the rate of decline year over year NASCAR viewership is dropping, they'll be lucky to get 5 million for the Daytona 500 in the 2020s.

IMO the next significant step in viewership of Nascar races will be when the Daytona 500 drops below 10 million viewers and some of the chase races drop below 2 million. It is a strong possibility that both those things will occur in 2018.

It's unfortunate that NASCAR can't bulldoze some of these cookie cutter tracks when the money and sponsors start to run out here in the next few years.

It's unfortunate that NASCAR can't bulldoze some of these cookie cutter tracks when the money and sponsors start to run out here in the next few years.

That is the sort of thing I am hoping for but I think the broadcast deal will artificially prop things up for a while. Good things could still happen as a result of Nascar's continuing and inevitable downsizing though.

NBC's broadcast of the NASCAR Coke Zero 400 race won by a landslide with a 1.0 average rating in the night. It was the only program to reach the 1.0 barrier with an average of 5.01 million viewers.

In 2016 the rating was 3.4 with 5.7 million viewers on NBC, per Nielsen fast-nationals. Not sure why the difference in the Rating, but the viewers is not too far off, 13%

Source, TV by the Numbers via E$PAskyi.
Not sure why it doesn't explain but it means NASCAR was the only program to get a 1.0 in the 18-49.

if they did all races on basic channels it's too obvious they'd get better numbers across all events... it's amazing with that data they still choose to farm these broadcasts to channels like fs1 and nbcs for half the year..

I get they wanna promote their networks and all but NASCAR or someone should just say enough is enough.

Kentucky race will probably be 1.7 we all should just guess at them. Makes it more fun.

if they did all races on basic channels it's too obvious they'd get better numbers across all events... it's amazing with that data they still choose to farm these broadcasts to channels like fs1 and nbcs for half the year..

I get they wanna promote their networks and all but NASCAR or someone should just say enough is enough.

Kentucky race will probably be 1.7 we all should just guess at them. Makes it more fun.

This isn't the first time that NASCAR has been used to promote an upstart sports network.

Remember ESPN in the 1980s?

1rwyak.jpg

This isn't the first time that NASCAR has been used to promote an upstart sports network.

Remember ESPN in the 1980s?

I heard of it. All you had to do was get cable. If you have cable and on top of that the highest package possible in some areas you still don't get these two channels I highlighted to see current races.

Back
Top Bottom