2017 NASCAR Season - Television Ratings Thread

The NFL season just kicked off and already the league’s ratings are off to bad start.

The season’s opening game between the New England Patriots and the Kansas City Chiefs drew 21.8 million viewers, down 13% from 2015. And overall NFL viewership dropped 8% last year compared to 2015.

http://wjla.com/news/nation-world/nfl-ratings-drop

Edit: Oops, my bad. Thought I was on the NFL forum. Since I'm here..... Looks like sports are taking a hit in general.

200.gif

happens every year when football season starts. It' simple, go watch football if that floats your boat.

IDK how to interpret this data as last week 2.1 million fans watched the Richmond race and that was blamed on people watching storm coverage. This week 2.3 million fans watched from Chicago which is just as bad so I am not sure if Nascar fans were still watching the Weather Channel or decided to do something else instead. Older people don't seem to be concerned as much with the weather as 66% of the viewers of this week's race were over 50. Maybe some folks DVR'd SMERCONISH (all caps for @Michfan) and Nascar got SMERC'd.

The NFL season just kicked off and already the league’s ratings are off to bad start.

The season’s opening game between the New England Patriots and the Kansas City Chiefs drew 21.8 million viewers, down 13% from 2015. And overall NFL viewership dropped 8% last year compared to 2015.

Edit: Oops, my bad. Thought I was on the NFL forum. Since I'm here..... Looks like sports are taking a hit in general.

200.gif

I posted the week 1 NFL results last week in order to give some context as to what was going on in Nascar as the just concluded race was off between 8-9% from last year which is not good for any racing series or sports league. The problem for Nascar is that its viewership for this Chicago race is off 31% from 2015 and 40% from 2014. Factor the old audience in and there is much work to be done.

Seriously, why even run the xfinity races this late into the year? I mean the cup races are barely beating out Wisconsin/byu games, I know the apologists want 365 x 2 racing throughout the year, but it is going to kill the sport by continuing this insanity deep into November, year after year.

There are some ardent fans who would watch Nascar racing everyday if possible and on one hand I can see why they get irritated when people suggest shortening races and ending seasons sooner. On the other hand Nascar has a glut of product and is operating as if the days when anyone and everyone was a fan are still with us which obviously they are not. For the overall health of the series it would be far better to leave the public wanting a little more as opposed to burning people out and watching interest and ratings circle the drain the deeper things go into the season.

Oops my butt. Another fine "I'll just slip this one in" by the master. :D
Nah, I just lost my way there for a minute..... :cool: Gone on vacation for a week. Didn't keep updated with the boards. Out of practice navigating. That kind of thing.

I can' help but feel somewhat responsible for both the NASCAR and NFL ratings decline. I missed the past couple Sundays. I back now so things should take an upturn. If not, don't blame me. I can only do so much.

. BTW the Xfinity races are more popular than F-1 or Indycar most of the time. football is on the other channels
I've voted with the remote a long time ago, just this being junior's last season, I figured I may as well see if he can pull off a win, and I plan on heading to homestead to watch what I hope is his last lap. After that, nascar can run their races whenever, wherever, however, with whatever convoluted point system that drunk brainless silver spoon born turd thinks up after a night of boozing, and I simply won't care.

I've voted with the remote a long time ago, just this being junior's last season, I figured I may as well see if he can pull off a win, and I plan on heading to homestead to watch what I hope is his last lap. After that, nascar can run their races whenever, wherever, however, with whatever convoluted point system that drunk brainless silver spoon born turd thinks up after a night of boozing, and I simply won't care.

so you don't even watch Xfinity races, but are mad about that because they are showing them. got it.

200.gif
"Down to 21.8 million viewers".....NASCAR would love to have a problem like that.

If them damn Toyoters weren't cheatin', maybe more people would be watchin'. ;)

"Down to 21.8 million viewers".....NASCAR would love to have a problem like that.

probably going to need some more taxpayer subsidies if it keeps this up.

Nah, I just lost my way there for a minute..... :cool: Gone on vacation for a week. Didn't keep updated with the boards. Out of practice navigating. That kind of thing.

I can' help but feel somewhat responsible for both the NASCAR and NFL ratings decline. I missed the past couple Sundays. I back now so things should take an upturn. If not, don't blame me. I can only do so much.
:D

I think the NFL had a bunch of fad fans start following the game and there was no way that 23 million fans could be maintained. Also I don't believe the Nielsen ratings and an extra 10 million fans illegally stream the games and they aren't counted. Oh and billions of people use the NFL game app to check in for a few moments and advertisers love them.........:D

I think the NFL had a bunch of fad fans start following the game and there was no way that 23 million fans could be maintained. Also I don't believe the Nielsen ratings and an extra 10 million fans illegally stream the games and they aren't counted. Oh and billions of people use the NFL game app to check in for a few moments and advertisers love them.........:D

That's funny, right there.

Love, love, love this thread as it attracts all sorts of people from the passive aggressive, cranky, comedic, bored, sincere, defensive, weather watchers, butthurt and fishermen.

FWIW, if the Irma card is applied to NASCAR it should be even more so to the NFL - weather coverage preempted all of the football on broadcast networks on Saturday and Sunday here; the NASCAR race was actually one of the few thing I could watch last weekend since it was on NBCSN. The NFL also gets the biggest boost from out-of-home viewing (+16% in the 18-49 according to FOX) out of what's been published so far (no info on NASCAR until next year).

That said, I do think the NFL has put out an increasingly stale product recently and there's generally a lack of compelling narratives, other than the Cowboys being good for once, that prevents the numbers from being as high as they could be (two of the four windows that have increased so far have included Dallas games). College ratings have generally done better than the NFL's have so far.

Also, people claim that certain social/political stances taken by certain NFL figures have turned them off from the sport for the time being, but I'm not sure how much of an impact that's actually had, if any. And that's probably for a different thread entirely.

FWIW, if the Irma card is applied to NASCAR it should be even more so to the NFL - weather coverage preempted all of the football on broadcast networks on Saturday and Sunday here; the NASCAR race was actually one of the few thing I could watch last weekend since it was on NBCSN. The NFL also gets the biggest boost from out-of-home viewing (+16% in the 18-49 according to FOX) out of what's been published so far (no info on NASCAR until next year).

That said, I do think the NFL has put out an increasingly stale product recently and there's generally a lack of compelling narratives, other than the Cowboys being good for once, that prevents the numbers from being as high as they could be (two of the four windows that have increased so far have included Dallas games). College ratings have generally done better than the NFL's have so far.

Also, people claim that certain social/political stances taken by certain NFL figures have turned them off from the sport for the time being, but I'm not sure how much of an impact that's actually had, if any. And that's probably for a different thread entirely.

I agree with your points and would also add that it is my opinion that the NFL is on in too many time slots. When bye weeks start plus games from London plus Thursday night all day Sunday plus Sunday and Monday nights the match up quality can suffer. If you are also a fan of college ball plus have a real life in the real world it isn't feasible to watch it all.

Looks like viewership is off about 50% for this race compared to 2011. Don't shoot the messenger please......:D

I'd love to see the algorithms behind this. I wonder how they measure 'out of home' viewers?

I am interested in this sort of thing so I am definitely looking forward to seeing how this impacts Nascar when the whole enchilada is included. Hopefully it will show huge increases or some heads will pop.

So with 50% signed up this is supposed to mean something? 50% of what?

ESPN President of Global Sales & Marketing Ed Erhardt said that all of the net’s ad clients have agreed to one number that incorporates TV and streaming; and more than 50% have signed deals that include out-of-home viewing. “It’s a process,”

ESPN President of Global Sales & Marketing Ed Erhardt said that all of the net’s ad clients have agreed to one number that incorporates TV and streaming; and more than 50% have signed deals that include out-of-home viewing. “It’s a process,”

I am sure Nascar will add some geezers who stream as well as some young bucks but I doubt it will amount to a whole lot. The good news is you don't have to believe these results either.

My unofficial bold prediction was wrong. Last year I had said that Nascar would have its first race with less than 2 million viewers but I didn't think it would happen until 2018. The just concluded race at Loudon was under the 2 million viewer mark and I don't even think an eternal optimist can put lipstick on that pig. To add insult to injury over 71% of the people tuning into the race were over 50.

It seems like the people have spoken on stage racing, playoff and playoff races and the ****e shows Nascar has been putting on since the beginning of June and it looks like this.

967818-will-power-loudon.jpg

Ad clients. 100% will use the Television and Digital figures, over half will also use TAD + OOH.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...television-deals-viewership-decline/98342534/

An interesting article detailing what Nascar was hoping to accomplish at the beginning of this season. Here are some of the highlights:

"This is a meticulous plan that includes a modified points system, segmented races and bonus points that carry into the playoffs. The theory behind the changes? Drivers will race harder, events will be more exciting, viewers will tune in and more fans will come through the turnstiles."

“I think the TV guys have really put their foot down that they want more action because of the money they’re committing to the sport over a long period of time,” team owner Roger Penske said in an interview with The Morning Drive on Sirius XM. “If you don’t have the excitement on the television, you’re not going to get the viewers, and the viewers of course determine what kind of price they can get for their sponsorships, whether it’s a minute or half-minute.”

"According to Nielsen, NASCAR viewership has fallen 45% since 2005, from nearly 9 million viewers per race to 4.6 million last year. Last weekend, Chase Elliott, the 21-year-old son of former series champion Bill Elliott and a driver promoted by the series as a future standardbearer, won Daytona 500 qualifying, but Sports Media Watch said it was the least-watched time trials since 1998."

My unofficial bold prediction was wrong. Last year I had said that Nascar would have its first race with less than 2 million viewers but I didn't think it would happen until 2018. The just concluded race at Loudon was under the 2 million viewer mark and I don't even think an eternal optimist can put lipstick on that pig. To add insult to injury over 71% of the people tuning into the race were over 50.

It seems like the people have spoken on stage racing, playoff and playoff races and the ****e shows Nascar has been putting on since the beginning of June and it looks like this.

View attachment 29439
Within two seasons, we may crack the 1 million barrier and Monster may very well leave the "sport." It's almost unimaginable, but a few of us saw it coming.

Nice job, Brian, Lesa and whoever else is behind presiding over the decline of a once great sport.

Within two seasons, we may crack the 1 million barrier and Monster may very well leave the "sport." It's almost unimaginable, but a few of us saw it coming.

Nice job, Brian, Lesa and whoever else is behind presiding over the decline of a once great sport.

I was reading an article not that long ago which stated less than one third of family businesses survive the transition from first to second generation ownership plus another 50% don’t survive the transition from second to third generation. The third generation Frenchies are doing nothing to dispel this notion as they have allowed Nascar to turn into a steaming pile.

IDK if the plan is for the third generation to run the series into complete irrelevancy or if against all odds someone can come in and clean out the barn of idiots like Dewar and do something with this moribund series. The next person doesn't have to make Nascar great again as making it watchable would be a good start and then they can work on making it great.

Back at ya as they were 100% in my house too but the ad people said they don't care about me because I am over 50.......:D

I was being sarcastic.

You couldn't get me to watch a NASCAR race if you paid me for it.

Some folks here like to use that rebuttal like it means something.

I was being sarcastic.

You couldn't get me to watch a NASCAR race if you paid me for it.

Some folks here like to use that rebuttal like it means something.
That's about all many of us can do..... Support the series. That and introduce others to it. I've taken my fair share to the races to experience it for the first time. Some went back. Others didn't. Some still support it to this day. Outside of that, I'm at a loss to help with the ratings issues. I can't do any more than that.

Last edited:
That's about all many of us can do..... Support the series. That and introduce others to it. I've taken my fair share to the races to experience it for the first time. Some went back. Others didn't. Some still support it to this day. Outside of that, I'm at a loss to help with the ratings issues. I can't do any more than that.

If I'm to be honest and no offense to you at all but you are doing more than NASCAR is doing for you.

Correct me if I'm wrong but you're on the same side I am when it comes to the state NASCAR has put itself in when it comes to the playoffs and how they have handled their fans.

If NASCAR was listening, they'd be on a whole different path right now. I just dont see myself devoting my time and effort to a sport that's not entirely there for me.

To each their own however.

If I'm to be honest and no offense to you at all but you are doing more than NASCAR is doing for you.

Correct me if I'm wrong but you're on the same side I am when it comes to the state NASCAR has put itself in when it comes to the playoffs and how they have handled their fans.

If NASCAR was listening, they'd be on a whole different path right now. I just dont see myself devoting my time and effort to a sport that's not entirely there for me.

Oh yeah, I'm not a fan of the playoffs at all and my interest in the overall season has declined because of it, but I still like racing. That hasn't changed.

As far as them listening goes. I'm afraid they may just be. Many of the changes that have occurred over the past 10 years or so appeared as questions first on the NASCAR Fan Council Survey. I don't know what the majority of those responding select but some of those responses could very well be directing the sport. It seems most of the biggest anti NASCAR establishment fans on this board are not fans that participate in the council. Maybe if some of them were, and there were more like them, the sport may have been going in a better direction.

If I'm to be honest and no offense to you at all but you do spend a lot of time responding on this NASCAR BB for someone that doesn't want to devote time and effort to a sport that's not entirely there for them.

This is only JMO and I mean no disrespect toward anyone but I could not invite a newbie over to watch a Nascar race or take them to the track at this time. The reason isn't because there isn't good racing to be seen but the problem is that it is an infrequent occurrence and even tracks that were guaranteed to put on good shows in the past such as Richmond and Darlington can be mind numbing. It is really sad as Nascar races used to be a highlight of the week for me.

If I'm to be honest and no offense to you at all but you do spend a lot of time responding on this NASCAR BB for someone that doesn't want to devote time and effort to a sport that's not entirely there for them.

How many posts have I made in this section in the past month? You can count them in in one hand and look no further than today.

Someone posted about the ratings on the podium and I thought I look up the thread here.

I'm not actively looking for threads to post in here unless I'm being made aware of something.

No offense taken.

Oh yeah, I'm not a fan of the playoffs at all and my interest in the overall season has declined because of it, but I still like racing. That hasn't changed.

As far as them listening goes. I'm afraid they may just be. Many of the changes that have occurred over the past 10 years or so appeared as questions first on the NASCAR Fan Council Survey. I don't know what the majority of those responding select but some of those responses could very well be directing the sport. It seems most of the biggest anti NASCAR establishment fans on this board are not fans that participate in the council. Maybe if some of them were, and there were more like them, the sport may have been going in a better direction.

Your comments on the fan council are interesting as I never had heard of it until I joined up here. IDK what people/places Nascar has been receiving advice from but they clearly have been listening to the wrong people be it drivers, fan councils, team owners, broadcast networks or anyone else. JMO but I think the people Nascar should be listening to should be mainly under 30 as they will represent the future. When over 70% of the people that tuned into Sunday's race are over 50 you don't have a future.

Back
Top Bottom